T Nation

Anyone Using a Bulk Diet for the Poor Person?

I don’t have a job at the moment - laid off. So I still gotta make ends meet, but I still need to go to the gym no matter what, except I find myself lacking enough food now.

160 pounds 6’1 19 years old.

all that chicken and stuff adds up each day in $$, any solution, or what are you guys doing in a similiar situation?

Eat calorically dense foods like peanut or almond butter, milk, beef, oils, rice and bread.

Have a look at this thread for my thoughts on eating to gain while on a budget:

McDoubles

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
McDoubles[/quote]

Seriously.

When you are that broke, you get what you can afford. I would rather gain a little extra fat and a lot of muscle than barely gain anything because I’m trying to only eat chicken breasts. Sometimes you have to make compromises. You eat as well as you can and then worry about calories in a way that fits your budget.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

McDoubles[/quote]

Seriously.

When you are that broke, you get what you can afford. I would rather gain a little extra fat and a lot of muscle than barely gain anything because I’m trying to only eat chicken breasts. Sometimes you have to make compromises. You eat as well as you can and then worry about calories in a way that fits your budget.[/quote]

But is your health one of the things you are willing to compromise?

Occasional McDonald’s is not going to kill you, but it’s not the best idea to make it a regular meal.

For carbs: boil potatoes/sweet potatoes. Filling, cheap, and easy to eat on the go.
For protein: buy cheap beef/ground beef, rinse it with water and dry it by hand on paper towels and that’ll get a bunch of the unneeded fat out. You could also just cook it by itself and drain out some of the grease that accumulates. Keep some, and you’ll get in some of your fats.
For fats: Almond butter/peanut butter. You can add to your shakes as others have mentioned.

You can get pretty cheap veggies. Stir fry them with beef and tomato sauce and you’ve got a meal. Add pasta if you want carbs. Lots of cals for cheap.

Eggs, milk, tuna (if you can find it cheap anymore), and what the rest of them said.

And I think there’s a bit more substance in the Doubles from BK right now, I’d hit them up instead of the Arches.

During the summer, we didn’t have a lot of money then, so my mother and I (she’s very suportive) would scour supermarkets for foods near expiration date. They are usually about 50% off the original price.

[quote]matko5 wrote:
During the summer, we didn’t have a lot of money then, so my mother and I (she’s very suportive) would scour supermarkets for foods near expiration date. They are usually about 50% off the original price.[/quote]

I did that this past summer. I’d buy mass quantities of chicken breast and beef near expiration and freeze them for a week or so till use. It was half off, as you said, and I could eat a ton of it for cheap. Perfect.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Have a look at this thread for my thoughts on eating to gain while on a budget:

Thats some good stuff. Thanks. Raising a family and trying to bulk can be really hard on the budget. And when you are the only source of income, cutting corners and simplicity are very important. The mods should sticky that discussion. In the Branch Warren thread, theres a video where he talks about spending 1500/mo on nutrition and it kinda took the wind out of my sails a little.

i have been on a similar diet most of the time. you’re gonna have to focus your budget on protein sources, then get cheap fats and carbs.

make your own Big whey gainer shakes. I actually realised with the Whey i was buying (a quality isolate) each serving was cheaper than most whole food protein sources.
Whey+oats+olive oil+fruit+milk+whole eggs or whatever else twice a day, big cals

Eggs
Oats
Coconut oil- lots of saturated fat calories, cheap
Tuna cans
potatoes
spaghetti/pasta
Cheap cuts of beef an meat in general
cheap beef burgers (check the nutritonal value though. some can be pretty good)
Fish
Fast food burgers- cut out the fries and sugary soda (or get diet), this can work well. especially post workout
sandwiches- a couple slices of bread and a can of tuna with some hot sauce or mustard, cheap and easy
Tomato sauce- add chilli powder or hot sauce to tomato paste/puree, chop up some onions and peppers, pour it over whatever meat you’re frying up for flavour, even works with tuna and eggs
stir fry cheap veggies with meat
shop at fruit and veg markets, butchers, fishmonger markets ect

if youre gonna get supps, dont be fooled into anything other than whey, maybe fish oil, cheap pure creatine, just basics.
its not going to be a ‘lean mass diet’, but you will gain just fine, make up for your lack of quality nutrition by going even harder in the weight room.

oatmeal is cheap as shit. whey powder comes in hella low per g of protein. Eggs are also dumb cheap.

In other news: Chicken is not for bulking.

-chris

Why can’t you use chicken?

McDoubles[/quote]

right now Burger King doubles go for a buck each in my neck of the woods . 3 of 'em comes to around 1500 calories and 60 grams of protien …for 3 bucks and change .

I mentioned that at the gym some time back , and a couple guys rolled eyes at me and sneered .
but the guys that laugh at it are content with curling the 15’s and 20’s , at 6 foot tall ; and I doubt they have ever had recovery issues . that massive calorie dump is key for recovery…nobody believes me .