T Nation

Anyone Used a Vertimax?

I am thinking of getting one in the very near future, not for me but for athletes that I train. Has anyone used one fairly extensively and, if so, what were the results? Pros and cons? Advice?

Thanx.

TW

The way I see it… Why get a Vertimax ($2000) when you can just buy a pack of bands from EliteFTS ($175) and loop them through a belt and under a power rack or heavy dumbbells.

Shit for the price of a Vertimax, you can buy a power rack with custom band pegs and get the same thing accomplished. Plus you could vary the resistance with different band tensions that way. I don’t think that jumping into band resistance is even all that great of an exercise.

In terms of cost:benefit, there are way more worthwhile things you could be spending your money on.

The trainer I went to for 2 years used a vertimax, and it was extremely beneficial. I played golf and baseball in high school, and the explosiveness it provides for jumping, lateral movement and running were clearly noticeable.

He is very inventive with his workouts, so the possibilites are limitless…along with the resistance. I hated it…and loved it at the same time lol

I should mention that I do a lot of “mobile” work, going to shools, clubs, gyms to train, so the squat rack idea wouldn’t quite work in that situation.

Golferguy, that’s good to hear. Totally understand the “love/hate” relationship…my kids hate during training but love me after final testing results are in.

TW

I have used one and I would highly recomend it. The ammount of explosiveness I gained from it was awesome. I highly suggest doing pause squat jumps and reactive squat jumps.

They are a good piece of equipment, but expensive.

You could probably just hook 2 stretch bands to a belt and have 2 spotters stand on one end of the bands, unless you are looking to add resistance at other locations (the new vertimaxes have attachments for your hands, knees, etc).

With high school kids you should probably just focus on technique.

If you can get them to actually use their arms when they jump they will improve greatly. They need to swing their arms down and back hard to put more force into the ground right before they jump and then swing their arms through as they jump.

Teach them more of an RDL motion when they are jumping for maximal height. they need to put their hamstrings/glutes on stretch in order to jump high. Lots of people teach kids to use a squatting motion when jumping, but this is WRONG for a maximal height jump such as a standing vertical test.

Finally teach them how to land SOFT. They should make as little noise as possible. Toes hit the ground first, then heels, and they should bend and the knees and hips too to absorb the force of the landing.

I call it the NINJA landing, to make it more fun for the kids I have trained and to give them a mental picture of what I am looking for. Also watch for them going into the valgus position (knocked knees) make sure they avoid this at all costs.

If you do those things (if you’re not already) you will look like a genius and you won’t need to waste your money on a vertimax (let the college programs you kids go to piss their money away).

My favorite with it is doing 10 full explosive jumps (like bigben said land SOFT), with the arm bands also, then take the weight off and do 10 more right after w/o weight. The first 3 makes you feel like you fly!

Good replies. I have used vertimax and it is different than any “band” type training because of the physics behind the cable system. Bands bring greatest tension at the end point of any given movement. Vertimax like many other pulley systems allows for even distribution of the weight throughout the movement.

They both have their perks and weaknesses depending on your specific goal.

If you have the loot, and wish for even tension throughout any given movement it maybe worth the investment.

[quote]BigBen72 wrote:
They are a good piece of equipment, but expensive.

You could probably just hook 2 stretch bands to a belt and have 2 spotters stand on one end of the bands, unless you are looking to add resistance at other locations (the new vertimaxes have attachments for your hands, knees, etc).

With high school kids you should probably just focus on technique.

If you can get them to actually use their arms when they jump they will improve greatly. They need to swing their arms down and back hard to put more force into the ground right before they jump and then swing their arms through as they jump.

Teach them more of an RDL motion when they are jumping for maximal height. they need to put their hamstrings/glutes on stretch in order to jump high. Lots of people teach kids to use a squatting motion when jumping, but this is WRONG for a maximal height jump such as a standing vertical test.

Finally teach them how to land SOFT. They should make as little noise as possible. Toes hit the ground first, then heels, and they should bend and the knees and hips too to absorb the force of the landing.

I call it the NINJA landing, to make it more fun for the kids I have trained and to give them a mental picture of what I am looking for. Also watch for them going into the valgus position (knocked knees) make sure they avoid this at all costs.

If you do those things (if you’re not already) you will look like a genius and you won’t need to waste your money on a vertimax (let the college programs you kids go to piss their money away).

[/quote]

This is classic! If we didn’t live so far away from each other, we should get together and compare methods.

The first thing I teach is technique, not unlike you mention. I have 3 rules:

1. Knees inline (with hips and toes, especially for girls)
  2. Land soft…like a ninja (sound familiar?)
  3. Maximal effort = maximal results; emphasize intensity as much as "full body jumping: legs, butt, hips, shoulders, lats.

I show them how technique can either cost them or benefit them in terms of maximal height off the vertical jump. I do a small jump and land hard on my heels with no knee bend to exaggerate a point, then jump and land ninja style to show the difference. They get the point.

When I read your post, I laughed, in a good way, because our methods are so similar, almost to the word.

Thanx for the response.

What is the actual thickness of the vertimax cables or cords are they 1/4 of an inch or more like 3/8 or 5/16