T Nation

Anyone Use Rhodiola Rosea?

Has anyone used this supplement? I noticed both of the Biotest researchers use it so I decided to google it. It supposedly helps with a number of things i.e. alleviating stress, anxiety, mood swings, the effects of ADHD, emotional imbalances, increasing energy, increasing endurance levels, etc. Just curious to see if anyone has any experience with it. I’d also be curious to hear why the Biotest researchers are taking it.

Thanks in advance.

It is a cortisol modulator, and supposedly a very effective one.

Meaning: it raises cortisol if its too low and lowers it if its too high, which can have a tremendous impact on your mood, ability to cope with stress etc etc. And because of the cortisol effects it may, indirectly, help you with your physique goals
It also helps with burnt out adrenals.

I plan on trying some soon, its not real expensive.

awesome, me to, I need help with my stress levels.

I use it daily.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I use it daily. [/quote]

What has been your experience with it?

Its about the price of regular vitamins. I’m probably gonna pick some up today or tomorrow, I’ll update.

Thomas, I’ve already spoken with you, but I’d be interested in hearing what you have to say again on this particularly.

It is an adaptogen. Rhodiola was even on Oprah with Dr. Oz a few months ago. Adpatogens, especailly Rhodiola have been getting a lot of buzz this past year. I have not tried. There are too many supplements.

Piractem in Spike is also an adpaptogen I believe.

I can’t actually say my experience with it because I never tested it by itself. Based on the research though, as well as the amount of people using it (particularly in the life-extension scene) it’s definitely a staple in my supplement cabinet. The only thing I worry about is its quality after it’s been processed.

If you guys want to try it, you should look for a bulk powder. It is a lot cheaper than bottles in stores.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I am using this at the moment 300mg in the morning yes, it is an effective adaptogen I find it wakes me up a bit when i’m groggy, i often combine it with ginkgo biloba it really helps with concentration and mood!

It’s nothing earth-shattering in terms of potency, but it’s extremely popular in Sweden as it’s been a traditional medicine for a long time.

It helps me get through stressful periods (grow up!), but like Gabby I never used it by itself, so assessing its effects is not easy. But so far, the brains are doing good, just with rhodiola, B-complex and proper nutrition.

Out of curiosity, I never knew that Spike has piracetam in it. I just looked at the label and it’s not listed. Is it there under some pseudonym . . . ?

[quote]icecold wrote:

It is an adaptogen. Rhodiola was even on Oprah with Dr. Oz a few months ago. Adpatogens, especailly Rhodiola have been getting a lot of buzz this past year. I have not tried. There are too many supplements.

Piractem in Spike is also an adpaptogen I believe.[/quote]

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
It is a cortisol modulator, and supposedly a very effective one.

Meaning: it raises cortisol if its too low and lowers it if its too high, which can have a tremendous impact on your mood, ability to cope with stress etc etc. And because of the cortisol effects it may, indirectly, help you with your physique goals
It also helps with burnt out adrenals.

I plan on trying some soon, its not real expensive.[/quote]

How dose it modulate cortisol? Are there any studies to back this up. Pubmed shows nothing. Maybe I cant find it there…

I use it everyday myself. It’s a tremendous addition to a sleep aid stack.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is an adaptogen. Rhodiola was even on Oprah with Dr. Oz a few months ago. Adpatogens, especailly Rhodiola have been getting a lot of buzz this past year. I have not tried. There are too many supplements.

Piractem in Spike is also an adpaptogen I believe.

I have never heard that piracetam has adaptogenic properties. From what I understand, it speeds up activity in the corpus callosum, the association fibers that link your cerebral hemispheres.

Bushy[/quote]

I know that you have a good knowledge of supplements and you are right it is not an adaptogen.

I was thinking it was a nootropic that had some adaptogenic properties.

I was wrong it is just a nootropic.

Ironically with information I have been giving on this thread I am feeling like a good adaptogen and nootropic stack should be the next supplements I try. I should look at some of your past posts in the brain function booster thread for nootropics.

I was thinking about trying this stuff out and I am wondering what is a good brand to buy and where do you guys purchase this stuff at?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sorry to bring this up after it has sat for so long, but I need some advice.

I am currently a basic caffeine addict, I need my red bull or preferably a Spike in the morning to accomplish anything during the day. When I attempt to stop I piss every one off around me and it is difficult to get through my days.

Would this be a suitable supplement to at least help get me off the caffeine while maintaining my energy and wonderfully good mood??

A regular Spike Shooter is only 300mg a caffeine, red bull is even less.

That’s NOT that much, are you sure you aren’t just imagining it?

[quote]Wahoo86 wrote:
Sorry to bring this up after it has sat for so long, but I need some advice.

I am currently a basic caffeine addict, I need my red bull or preferably a Spike in the morning to accomplish anything during the day. When I attempt to stop I piss every one off around me and it is difficult to get through my days.

Would this be a suitable supplement to at least help get me off the caffeine while maintaining my energy and wonderfully good mood?[/quote]

I’m thinking it would help. It seems to have a “feel good” effect for me.

But in any case, taper off the caffeine gradually. Drink 2/3 your normal amount for a few days, then 1/3 for a few days, then none. You shouldn’t have any withdrawal at all.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
A regular Spike Shooter is only 300mg a caffeine, red bull is even less.

That’s NOT that much, are you sure you aren’t just imagining it?[/quote]

Well, I have 200 mg caffeine in coffee every morning, and if I skip it, I get pretty bad withdrawal – horrible headache that won’t go away, energy crash, irritability, etc.