Anyone Use a Manta Ray?

I have some disk issues in my neck and just purchased one from EliteFTS to see if it helps prevent aggravating my injury. My other idea was a 3 month gym membership (train at home) to use the leg press but went for the cheaper potential solution first. I figured for the $30 plus free shamrock t-shirt it was worth a shot.

Yes. I like the high-bar position in any case, and it also helps greatly with my shoulders. With the Manta Ray it’s a much easier reach, and I need only hook the bar with my fingers. Much easier on the rotator cuff.

I tried it once and liked it too.

They had one at my old gym. It was solid, but I personally always like to have the weight up against me without any padding. I suppose I just feel like I know exactly where the weight is when its digging into my traps =P As for it helping with “disk issues” I dont know.

I’ll let you know how it works out for me. My neck is feeling a little better and I’d like to keep it that way. Thanks for the feedback.

I hate the manta ray but love the sting ray for front squats (i’m 6’ tall)

I bought a sting ray, used it a few times, but now I prefer front squatting without it. In fact, I didn’t use it for over a year now.

As for manta ray, I never felt the need to have support for back squat, but I hope it will help.

I have had one for years. I could never find a spot to place the bar that did not give me extreme discomfort, even when using a pad. Then I figured I am never going to compete, so why do I have to try to get used the bare bar anyway. lol

An awesome tool, you’ll love it.

It slides down when using heavier loads, at least in my case. I bought it for $20 like 4 years ago and used it maybe 5 times.

I used it for the first time on Wednesday it was ok. It felt odd to have something between my back and the bar. It will take some getting used to but I think will serve my purpose of not bothering my neck. I did notice that I was more upright with my form using it. I haven’t squated in 4 weeks so it feels awesome to have some serious soreness.

The yoke bar just might be what I have to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

I see one on NY Barbell for $300. SAFETY SQUAT BAR

That’s a bit more than I wanted to spend but if it keeps me squating it’ll be worth it. Where does a yoke place the pressure? Shoulders?

Another thought I’ve had is should I switch to front squats? I’ve actually never tried FS because I know you can’t lift as much weight.

I have rotator cuff issues myself and can’t set up tightly for a squat. Hoping to get things rehabed but in the mean time I’m using the manta ray as well.

Problem is that I prefer to squat with a pretty wide stance and the bar stays relatively high with the manta ray. Does this pose any problems as long as I’m comfortable? I feel I do a pretty good job of staying tight, keeping my head up and sitting back.

Thanks.

So the Manta Ray sucks. Sorry MR fans. Using it did however help me figure out what the problem was so $30 well spent. When I get tired during a set I start leaning forward and letting the bar roll forward further up my neck. My last 2 squat days I’ve moved the bar lower than normal and that seems to have resolved the issue. My squats are little different because of this but my neck is feeling better and all is well.

Anyone want to buy an almost new Manta Ray?

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:
I have rotator cuff issues myself and can’t set up tightly for a squat. Hoping to get things rehabed but in the mean time I’m using the manta ray as well.

Problem is that I prefer to squat with a pretty wide stance and the bar stays relatively high with the manta ray. Does this pose any problems as long as I’m comfortable? I feel I do a pretty good job of staying tight, keeping my head up and sitting back.

Thanks.[/quote]

I can only squat with manta ray due to a full dislocation (not traing related), it is a god send!.
I too use a wide stance and flared (45 degree) feet. It throws all the stress on the quads
and keeps me strict,Cannot go atg as the weight shifts forward so only go to parallel. If it feel`s comfy- do it!. :slight_smile:

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

I can only squat with manta ray due to a full dislocation (not traing related), it is a god send!.
I too use a wide stance and flared (45 degree) feet. It throws all the stress on the quads
and keeps me strict,Cannot go atg as the weight shifts forward so only go to parallel. If it feel`s comfy- do it!. :slight_smile: