T Nation

Anyone Use 5-HTP?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone here use 5-HTP for any numerous reasons? I have been thinking about it to improve sleep cycles. How much do you take and what are your experiences?

-usctrojansfan

BBB may chime in, he's probably got the most knowledge on this type. I personally don't like it because of the massive migraine headaches I got from it. Maybe I don't need extra serotonin?

I used it to restore my serotonin levels after a long vacation with ectasy. It worked well for me, I was having problems sleeping and after a few days I was pretty much back to normal.

I used 150mg (3 x 50mg through the day) on Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss and it seemed to help somewhat with sugar cravings and sleep, although I didn't really use it for long enough to observe an effect fairly.
I sometimes pop 50mg now and then if I feel like it but this is probably stupid really and more for some kind of placebo effect.

Did you use Z12 or just 5-HTP? The GABA in Z12 can give you a tingly feeling.

Try a slightly lower dose. If I have used too much caffeine and it is late AND I am having trouble falling asleep I use 50mg of 5-htp and 200mg of theanine. Usually works great.
I also have experimented with using 50mg in the afternoon between meals if I am feeling drowsy as a very slight pick me up. Placebo or not, it will even me out, not really energized per se.

I started taking it about 5weeks ago and the results were huge for me but mainly in my moods. I have always been a rather impatient person and its made a night and day difference in that.. Im assuming Im lacking serotonin.. ?

I had headaches when I tried 50mg of 5-HTP on multiple occasions. I found good old L-Tryptophan (1-3g before bedtime on empty stomach) to have a small noticeable positive effect on my sleep. No headaches from tryptophan.