Anyone Try the Tabata Method?

i do the tabata as my main form of cardio…i like it alot because i can pick whichever exercises i want, whichever body part i want and get a good cardio workout no matter what as long as i dont pick pussy exercises. when i do it, i usually do 5 different exercises, and kick up the intervals to 10 instead of 8. i used to do crossfit :slight_smile: … but yeah tabata is awesome even if you still want to run…do it with sprints…or if your a really brave guy…bear crawls…ooo thats a great idea im gonna have to try that

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0LBKUF9U0LHPT3OIFLU2CXWQ9C

heres an mp3 to make your tabata training a little easier…very useful for when your doing it with pullups and cant see your watch…

I’m doing Tabata Thrusters 5x/wk (as noted here: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=680043 ), and have been doing so for about 5 weeks.

A most delicious Hell it is. Unfortunately, I think I may be approaching overtraining with them. But I definitely feel like I have much better state of general health, and will return to them if I have to stop.

-Glee

PS. Has anyone tried, or considered, Tabata Power Cleans?

[quote]ZachDelDesert wrote:
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0LBKUF9U0LHPT3OIFLU2CXWQ9C

heres an mp3 to make your tabata training a little easier…very useful for when your doing it with pullups and cant see your watch…[/quote]

Just tried the MP3, but it seems like you’ve got the beginning backward–it goes 10 seconds before the first chime, then 20 before the second. If Tabata’s 20 seconds on, 10 off, shouldn’t this be reversed?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I recommend the “Bottom to Bottom Tabatas” on free/bodyweight squats. Start in the down position and rest in the down position. It will cut reps off your number (14 is a nice “standard” as the lowest of the 8 sets), but you will learn stuff about your legs and squat method that you will never forget…
[/quote]

After doing some research, I found that “Dan John” when spelled backwards is “Nhojnad”. This is the name of an ancient Persian demon who tortured poor souls by making them vomit until their legs fell off. You have been warned!

[quote]Chris McClinch wrote:

Just tried the MP3, but it seems like you’ve got the beginning backward–it goes 10 seconds before the first chime, then 20 before the second. If Tabata’s 20 seconds on, 10 off, shouldn’t this be reversed?[/quote]

I noticed the same thing. It doesn’t matter, because either way you’re getting eight 20 second intervals with 10 seconds between them. That’s what is important. With this mp3, the last 10 second rest is after it ends… no big deal.

Thanks ZDD for the post. I’ll be DLing to my ipod and putting it to use.

[quote]bino wrote:
Chris McClinch wrote:

Just tried the MP3, but it seems like you’ve got the beginning backward–it goes 10 seconds before the first chime, then 20 before the second. If Tabata’s 20 seconds on, 10 off, shouldn’t this be reversed?

I noticed the same thing. It doesn’t matter, because either way you’re getting eight 20 second intervals with 10 seconds between them. That’s what is important. With this mp3, the last 10 second rest is after it ends… no big deal.

Thanks ZDD for the post. I’ll be DLing to my ipod and putting it to use.[/quote]

Makes sense. Probably should have thought of that myself.

My friend has done them in the past. He always pukes afterwards.

hi
We are doing it ONCE/week in the forest with logs, farmers walks/sprints, squats & log presses
I do it sometimes when travelling on the parking with my travelling bag - I do then squat&bag press after 2 min warm-up …
F***ing rediculous!!! It kills anybody regardless the shape.
One “but” however, you REALLY start to feel you get fitter after 4-6 weeks of regular Tabatas.

Worth having a SOLID go!

as noted above - DO HAVE A PARTNER TO TIME/COUNT your goes

Good luck and better like the pain :wink:

So what kind of loss numbers are poss
any examples.thanks

[quote]bikemike wrote:
My friend has done them in the past. He always pukes afterwards.[/quote]

Bikemike and everyone,

Perhaps Tabata is one kind of a workout that we should warn people not to drink your Surge during workout - because you are going to puke it anyway so don’t waste your money.

I also have the stomach upsetting experience with weighted Tabata but generally OK with Tabata cardio.

Geek boy

[quote]Gleemonex wrote:

A most delicious Hell it is. Unfortunately, I think I may be approaching overtraining with them. But I definitely feel like I have much better state of general health, and will return to them if I have to stop.

-Glee

PS. Has anyone tried, or considered, Tabata Power Cleans?[/quote]

Watch out for the overtraining. I would space them out a little bit more or stop now for a while before you burnout. In DJ’s original article he warned that if you did them twice a month you were tough, I think that says it all in regards to frequency…

I wouldn’t recommend power cleans. I guy once asked about doing them with deadlifts and you have the same problem with cleans, your desire to move really fast and cram in the reps could spell disaster for your lower back as your form will degenerate very quickly. You really shouldn’t go above 6 reps on oly lifts too much because of the technique degradation, even with a very light weight, at least not doing Tabatas.

The reason why thrusters and front squats are suggested is that they use a lot of muscle groups AND they let you move up and down quickly in a piston-like movement. This way you get a heap of reps in with minimal risk of injury.

Remember Tabatas are for conditioning and fat loss, the only thing that matters is getting the heart rate right up to your limits (and of course re-discovering what your last meal was!), you don’t need to worry about switching around exercises too much because your body will get too used to the same exercise, front squats and thrusters are enough, use them!

Cheers,

Ben

I never heard of Tabata before, but could you do it with any exercise? for example could it be done for bench press with just the bar?

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
I never heard of Tabata before, but could you do it with any exercise? for example could it be done for bench press with just the bar?[/quote]

Go the the article library, find Dan John under the “Authors” section and then find “The Tabata Method” article. Read it and you’ll get your answers there.

In answer to your question, bench press wouldn’t be enough of a “total body” exercise. The recommended ones are front squats and dumbell thrusters, read the article for more details.

Cheers,

Ben