Anyone Tried the Paleo Diet?

Has anyone tried eating “Paleo” like all the crazy crossfitters. It seems like breakfast is the hardest meal, any ideas?

chicken + melon + walnuts
eggs n bacon
steak n eggs
salmon with grapefruits and almonds
leftovers
omelets
eggs benny (sans buns)
blueberries with almonds and salmon

basically anything that fits the following:
Meat, Vegetable, fruit and nuts

Paleo all the way man…We were not MEANT to eat processed crap.

It’s unfortunate, however, that the quality of food today is so much lower compared to say 50-100years ago. We need to supplement our diet with the essential/additional nutrients, aminos etc to make even better progress. Hence why taking foundations supps, such as fish oil, high quality multi etc are essential…paleo or not.

GJ

I think paleo has worked well for me so far. I am not 100% paleo…i still eat a little dairy and some grains from time to time (like quinoa). My bf % has went down, but still feel strong. Just did a BJJ tourney and felt really good.

Been eating a lot of coconut oil/milk, organic ghee, got some grass fed bison/beef and some deer. Still taking carlson’s fish oil and supplementing with 2000 iu’s of vit. D.

I am a firefighter and sometimes don’t get much sleep, so staying away from big blood sugar spikes and drops have helped me not hate life from being tired all the time.

I am just taking a spoonful of cinnamon and tumeric with some water. Also I take a swig of apple cidar vinegar every once in a while. Any comments on that would be appreciated…I don’t know if I need to take those in supplement form or just pouring some in a spoon works just as well?

Omlettes! I make mine with 3 eggs, turkey, onions, bell peppers, and then put some salsa on it. Just get a good salsa like On The Border that’s just made with actual food.

I really like the concept alot but havent tried it much

[quote]Crow wrote:
Has anyone tried eating “Paleo” [/quote]

although i feel excellent (and have gotten extremely lean) since eliminating certain items from my diet: wheat products, potato, rice, noodles, and all the various processed carbs that are so convenient, as well as, not eating grain fed meats, pasteurized dairy, pesticide sprayed fruits and veggies (the source of food matters)

i would not give up my fatty meats (apparently this includes chicken and turkey’s dark meat, ribeye etc), or my raw dairy products, nor legumes, and i love my raw honey as well (especially the christmas berry from hawaii. yum yum yum), not afraid of dark chocolate either

Until now I was taking for granted how great it was not to see the word “paleo” here on T-Nation!

Nards,

Explain what you don’t like about paleo. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Thanks for the breakfast ideas! Made omelet muffins for breakfast today (awesome) along with a banana. Last night I made bison chili and beef stew for the week. Maybe we start a paleo support forum or cell, since you either hate it or love it.

Do you guys stick to the paleo diet even when you’re trying to put on mass? How do you do it? I’m guessing you just increase the fats.

Also do you still take whey and post-workout shakes like Surge?

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:

[quote]Crow wrote:

although i feel excellent (and have gotten extremely lean) since eliminating certain items from my diet: wheat products, potato, rice, noodles, and all the various processed carbs that are so convenient, as well as, not eating grain fed meats, pasteurized dairy, pesticide sprayed fruits and veggies (the source of food matters)

i would not give up my fatty meats (apparently this includes chicken and turkey’s dark meat, ribeye etc), or my raw dairy products, nor legumes, and i love my raw honey as well (especially the christmas berry from hawaii. yum yum yum), not afraid of dark chocolate either
[/quote]

I eat along similar lines. I still eat steel cut oats, white/brown rice, and sweet potatoes. What are the reasons that caused you to eliminate those?

[quote]bateager wrote:
Nards,

Explain what you don’t like about paleo. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks[/quote]

It’s more my fault that I am unable to cut out all that paleo asks you to cut out.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:

[quote]Crow wrote:

[/quote]

I eat along similar lines. I still eat steel cut oats, white/brown rice, and sweet potatoes. What are the reasons that caused you to eliminate those?[/quote]

i really should bump oatmeal back into my diet. good for the immune system (beta-glucans) and anti-inflammatory (avenanthramide) with a low glycemic load (soluble and insoluble fiber). i like the simple taste of the steel cuts for breakfast!

rice, on the other hand, is just food for the poor. a way to pack in carbs (better than starving). white rice is the same as candy, but i wouldn’t fault someone who liked to eat brown rice. for me it was simply a case that i could only put so much into my stomach and would rather opt for more veggies.

sweet potatoes are not related to the potato (a food that is only good if you are irish and starving to death) and when i read about them i looked but had a difficult time finding them at the supermarket. good carotenoid antioxidants, quercetin, and perhaps cancer fighting goodies in there too. thanks for reminding me of this one; have to look again and see if i can find them.

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:

[quote]Crow wrote:

[/quote]

I eat along similar lines. I still eat steel cut oats, white/brown rice, and sweet potatoes. What are the reasons that caused you to eliminate those?[/quote]

i really should bump oatmeal back into my diet. good for the immune system (beta-glucans) and anti-inflammatory (avenanthramide) with a low glycemic load (soluble and insoluble fiber). i like the simple taste of the steel cuts for breakfast!

rice, on the other hand, is just food for the poor. a way to pack in carbs (better than starving). white rice is the same as candy, but i wouldn’t fault someone who liked to eat brown rice. for me it was simply a case that i could only put so much into my stomach and would rather opt for more veggies.

sweet potatoes are not related to the potato (a food that is only good if you are irish and starving to death) and when i read about them i looked but had a difficult time finding them at the supermarket. good carotenoid antioxidants, quercetin, and perhaps cancer fighting goodies in there too. thanks for reminding me of this one; have to look again and see if i can find them.

[/quote]

Sounds good. I’m actually going to cut oats out, along with rice and yams, and see what happens. Meat, fruit, veggies, and nuts is where I’m at.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Do you guys stick to the paleo diet even when you’re trying to put on mass? How do you do it? I’m guessing you just increase the fats.

Also do you still take whey and post-workout shakes like Surge? [/quote]

paleo is more a ‘way of eating’. As written originally it does not prohibit natural carb sources like yams or bananas.
You choose your food according to your preference or target. So bulking on a paleo would mean eating more veggie carb sources like fruit or potatoes or corn etc.

I think it would be great if we could start a Paleo Cookbook, maybe it should be it’s own thread?

Sounds good WC7. Start that thing up!

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Sounds good WC7. Start that thing up![/quote]

It has been created, here’s the link:

[quote]Evil1 wrote:

[quote]Reef wrote:

Also do you still take whey and post-workout shakes like Surge? [/quote]

paleo is more a ‘way of eating’. As written originally it does not prohibit natural carb sources like yams or bananas.
You choose your food according to your preference or target. So bulking on a paleo would mean eating more veggie carb sources like fruit or potatoes or corn etc.[/quote]

…sort of.

A strict “Paleo Diet” as it was originally written (in the 70s?) is about 50% carbs, but it’s all from fruits, roots and veggies. Potatoes and Corn (Maize) are definitely NOT PALEO, as they require a high-degree of processing to be edible. Neither are most legumes or beans… basically, anything that NEEDS prep to eat, is off the diet.

I eat like 90% paleo. I do eat peanut butter, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, and the occasional black-bean, all of which I consider healthy/clean, but not Paleo.