Anyone Tried Doing Main Lifts Twice/Wk?

So I’m doing starting strength at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone had ever tried doing the main 4 (squat, bench, deadlift, press) twice a week. But instead of doing a dynamic effort day or a speed day etc just doing 3x5.

So the workout would look something like…

Monday -
Squat (3x5)
Deadlift (1x5)
assistance work etc

Tuesday -
Bench (3x5)
Press (3x5)
assistance work etc

Thursday - Repeat Monday

Friday - Repeat Tuesday

Sorry if this is a really beginner question - just thought some people may have tried it

Why would you want to switch from starting strength ?

Yes. It works even better if you do rack pulls instead of actual deadlifts. It works but it isn’t Starting Strength and how well it works depends on your training age and ability to recover.

[quote]Biskui wrote:
Why would you want to switch from starting strength ?

[/quote]

I’m not switching, I was curious if anyone had tried doing the lifts more often

[quote]alexbl08 wrote:
So I’m doing starting strength at the moment[/quote]
How long have you been at it, how much bodyweight have you gained, and what kind of weight are you using on the basic lifts?

“Doing Starting Strength” with double the frequency is comparable to “doing Starting Strength” while avoiding back squats. The once-a-week frequency is a fundamental aspect of the program that allows consistent, gradual progress.

Rippetoe talked about the importance of recovery in a few articles:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_biggest_training_fallacy_of_all

With that said, it’s obviously possible to set-up a training program that hits the big exercises twice a week, but Frankenstein-ing Starting Strength into something like you wrote above is not it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]alexbl08 wrote:
So I’m doing starting strength at the moment[/quote]
How long have you been at it, how much bodyweight have you gained, and what kind of weight are you using on the basic lifts?

“Doing Starting Strength” with double the frequency is comparable to “doing Starting Strength” while avoiding back squats. The once-a-week frequency is a fundamental aspect of the program that allows consistent, gradual progress.

Rippetoe talked about the importance of recovery in a few articles:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_biggest_training_fallacy_of_all

With that said, it’s obviously possible to set-up a training program that hits the big exercises twice a week, but Frankenstein-ing Starting Strength into something like you wrote above is not it.[/quote]

Guys I’m not saying I’m going to do it, especially not going to mess with SS!

It was literally just a thought that poped into my head while training, and though maybe someone had tried it.

Thanks for the input anyway :slight_smile: