T Nation

Anyone Tried DHEA?

Is DHEA 50mg/day worth trying? If anybody has had any success with this prohormone. please rsvp

Be VERY careful when it comes to DHEA!

Unless you’re over 40 years of age I would tell you to stay clear of it entirely.

I used 50mg x twice daily for a month when I was 23. As I was quite overweight in my teens I had a titch of gyno already. DHEA compounded this problem significantly. I immediately stopped using the product as soon as I noticed soreness around the nipples. It took about 3 years for those symptoms to return to pre-DHEA usage.

A few things I’ve since learned about DHEA - it’s 2 enzymatic steps away from Testosterone. If you don’t have the enzyms present (and signalled to go) then it will be wasted and can easily convert to estrogen!

If your insulin receptors are not very clean then the conversion to estrogen is all the more likely instead of testosterone.

Until you are at least 30 (but more like 40 years old) DHEA is not really all that low, especially if you weight train frequently.

In all reality you are MUCH better off with a tribulus product (I’d suggest TRIBEX Gold) and/or Rez-V. You’re just not going to get huge on DHEA and the side effects are all too likely.

Read this: http://www.ast-ss.com/dev/qa_search/full_text.asp?ID=3112 I wish I’d read something like it 4 years ago.

Waste of time & money! Tried it with no results. There are no magic pills except steriods that will get the muscle. You just have to be consistant and work hard.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
Be VERY careful when it comes to DHEA!

Unless you’re over 40 years of age I would tell you to stay clear of it entirely.

I used 50mg x twice daily for a month when I was 23. As I was quite overweight in my teens I had a titch of gyno already. DHEA compounded this problem significantly. I immediately stopped using the product as soon as I noticed soreness around the nipples. It took about 3 years for those symptoms to return to pre-DHEA usage.

A few things I’ve since learned about DHEA - it’s 2 enzymatic steps away from Testosterone. If you don’t have the enzyms present (and signalled to go) then it will be wasted and can easily convert to estrogen!

If your insulin receptors are not very clean then the conversion to estrogen is all the more likely instead of testosterone.

Until you are at least 30 (but more like 40 years old) DHEA is not really all that low, especially if you weight train frequently.

In all reality you are MUCH better off with a tribulus product (I’d suggest TRIBEX Gold) and/or Rez-V. You’re just not going to get huge on DHEA and the side effects are all too likely.

Read this: http://www.ast-ss.com/dev/qa_search/full_text.asp?ID=3112 I wish I’d read something like it 4 years ago.[/quote]

This was a very good post. I also recieve a newsletter from Mayo Clinic.com, and there was a newsletter released from the New England Journal of Medicine, stating that after extensive studies, DHEA, was basically worthless, and had no effect on aging, and or muscle building whatsoever.

My step mom who has multible sclerosis uses DHEA. She’s just under 40. Is there any reson to have her stop or to say anything about it? Can it be beneficial for women?

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
My step mom who has multible sclerosis uses DHEA. She’s just under 40. Is there any reson to have her stop or to say anything about it? Can it be beneficial for women?[/quote]

This is a question for a doctor.

My take on it…because she is female and their DHEA levels can decline faster than males as we all age…and because she’d have little to worry about if DHEA went either of the paths (testosteron or estrogen - the more likely pathway) if it works for her MS, keep it.
MS is hell. Anything that makes it better or manageable is worth using.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:

[/quote]

That’s who perscribed it to her. If it isn’t really doing anything than that’s at least some money we could save. The main thing is that if she took every single pill that doctors have shown there’s benefit for, we would be paying out of our ears for the stuff (from what I understand).

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
AllTraps wrote:

That’s who perscribed it to her. If it isn’t really doing anything than that’s at least some money we could save. The main thing is that if she took every single pill that doctors have shown there’s benefit for, we would be paying out of our ears for the stuff (from what I understand).[/quote]

I could understand that. Because MS is a widely known disease though I would suggest researching nutritional strategies. Just a 20 second google search of “MS supplements” yeilded me this site which seems pretty good:
http://www.direct-ms.org/supplements.html
It lists cheap and easily found vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Vitamin D @ 400-800IU’s a day + getting enough calcium seem to be the top two recommended supplements.

While DHEA is relatively cheap, it does effect hormones.

Women can convert some DHEA to testosterone. And it is a raw material for making all of the sex hormones.

DHEA does not seem to lead to any increases in T for men, unless their hormone production has been limited by low DHEA levels. And in that case, there would still be no reason to expect T levels to then exceed a normal level.

DHEA has many health benefits that are not understood. Randomized male heart attack patients have been put on double blind DHEA supplementation studies and the men on DHEA had better survival rates. And studies of serum DHEA levels in male heart attack admissions showed that the men with the lowest levels at the time of admission had the worst outcomes.

Last spring there was a study published where women with HVP related cervical pre-canerous problems inserted DHEA tablets in there vagina’s and many had the abnormality disappear.

You can’t make simple broad conclusions about DHEA. There is more to learn that we already know. There are some very interesting benefits.

And folks react differently. I have low levels of DHEA and pregnenolone. I now take 100mg of each ED. I am still low. That implies that some do not absorb steriods very well through the gut. Taking the DHEA sublingual (tastes like hops/beer/bitter) did not help. So I am guessing that is also why I was a 4-AD non-responder.