Anyone Train with any 'Exotic' Weapons?

I was a lucky kid in that I inherited a lot of cool shit from deceased relatives. There is a pretty strong military background in my family and I came upon a veritable treasure trove of army-issued weapons, some dating back over 150 years.

The highlights of my collection are a couple of Swedish cavalry swords, an insane-looking British commando knuckle-duster/combat knife, and some military-issued (and signed) Fairbairn hand-to-hand books.

Lots of these things were in display cases growing up, but there were a lot of other things strewn about in boxes. One of them was a Canadian-issued Tomahawk. I used to play with this as a kid (secretly!) and my God, what an effective weapon that would be in the right hands!

Now that I’m a bit older I’m actually considering taking lessons in Tomahawk fighting. They’re offered in some parts of Canada. Any practicality aside, I think it would be a lot of fun and would help resurrect a dying art. Plus, it’d be a hell of a weapon to keep under your car seat!

Does anyone here train with any “unusual” weapons?

not real “exotic” but I am trained in nunchaku.

back when I was a kid my mom was at work and I was acting up.neighbors called the cops and the officer saw them in my house.

They arrested me untill my mom could prove that I was in Tang Soo Do and being a 1st degree black belt I was training with them and was authorised to handle them.
They are illegal in Az where I grew up.

I do axe throwing,Shuriken,and knife throwing. thats about it
besides the long bow and bo staff and all that.

Wow…shuriken eh?

I tried throwing shurikens here in Japan. I imagined I’d be like StormShadow; unleashing a flurry of perfectly-aimed, death-dealing ninja-stars. No such luck…it was surprisingly difficult!

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Wow…shuriken eh?

I tried throwing shurikens here in Japan. I imagined I’d be like StormShadow; unleashing a flurry of perfectly-aimed, death-dealing ninja-stars. No such luck…it was surprisingly difficult![/quote]

Ya,Im not good with it but it does help with hand,eye cordination.

I have lost alot,they fly off and into the ground only to be buried and never to be found again.

sling shot and bottle caps

The house we built when I was growing up had bare styrofoam in the garage, you know the insulative kind that goes on the outside of the house, under the siding, with foil on both sides of it?

A friend had left a bunch of his stars at my house, and I was home alone one day, and decided to use the writing on the foil as targets. Was actually getting pretty decent, considering that was the first day I actually tried to hit something as small as a letter. Then I really chucked one hard, and buried it in the foam. About half of one blade was sticking out, and as I pulled, a trickle of water followed. I got it all the way out, and the water kept coming. I cut the foam away, and suddenly water was spraying out all over the garage.

On the other side of that wall was our laundry room, and I had hit the cold water supply line. My brother in law came home right before this, and he ran down to the street to shut off the water while I gathered supplies. Since we had a large hand in building the house(hired some parts done, did what we could to save money), my dad had a bunch of plumbing supplies in the basement still. Once the water quit spraying, I went to work cutting the cracked pipe out and re connecting it using what I had, which was a t-connection, elbows, and caps. I dried it all real well, even used alcohol to dry the pipes like the cement can said. Got it all together and was letting it cure, when we saw my dad coming down the road. Brother in law went down and turned the water back on right after my dad turned up our driveway(long, rough hill) and was past him. Soon as the pressure came back, the joints leaked because the cement hadn’t cured yet.

Dad was less than thrilled.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
The house we built when I was growing up had bare styrofoam in the garage, you know the insulative kind that goes on the outside of the house, under the siding, with foil on both sides of it?

A friend had left a bunch of his stars at my house, and I was home alone one day, and decided to use the writing on the foil as targets. Was actually getting pretty decent, considering that was the first day I actually tried to hit something as small as a letter. Then I really chucked one hard, and buried it in the foam. About half of one blade was sticking out, and as I pulled, a trickle of water followed. I got it all the way out, and the water kept coming. I cut the foam away, and suddenly water was spraying out all over the garage.

On the other side of that wall was our laundry room, and I had hit the cold water supply line. My brother in law came home right before this, and he ran down to the street to shut off the water while I gathered supplies. Since we had a large hand in building the house(hired some parts done, did what we could to save money), my dad had a bunch of plumbing supplies in the basement still. Once the water quit spraying, I went to work cutting the cracked pipe out and re connecting it using what I had, which was a t-connection, elbows, and caps. I dried it all real well, even used alcohol to dry the pipes like the cement can said. Got it all together and was letting it cure, when we saw my dad coming down the road. Brother in law went down and turned the water back on right after my dad turned up our driveway(long, rough hill) and was past him. Soon as the pressure came back, the joints leaked because the cement hadn’t cured yet.

Dad was less than thrilled.[/quote]

I love when great stories turn up out of random threads.

I train “The cock hammer” aka Mjolnir

Women Love AND Fear it.

All the traditional Okinawan weapons: Bo, sai, tonfa, nuchuku, tekko, kama, eku.

Also, as a kid I was proficient in the “hornet” which is just a rubber band strung around your thumb and pointer finger used to shoot paper wads, lol.

Xen is being somewhat reckless in not warning of the dangers of the cock hammer. Be careful when using the finishing move, as the results can be disasterous.

I’ve been messing around with kali sticks a bit, but nothing too impressive.

Weapons are wonderful. Good thread.

And ever since I’ve seen “The Patriot”, I’ve wanted to learn to fight with Tomahawks. That sounds fucking awesome.

On top of that, I’ve decided that my home defense weapon of choice is going to be a shillelagh. There’s not really an art to it so much as it’s aim for the head and swing heavy.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
There’s not really an art to it so much as it’s aim for the head and swing heavy.[/quote]

That sounds exceptionally close the the cock-hammer technique.

I’ve learned kata for the bo and sai, as well as the chizi kun bo. I’ve sparred in a dog-brother style (which is to say, kendo mask, hockey gloves, and a cup) with some more experienced kobudo students with the first two. The chizi kun bo is a 3" wooden stick with a string passed through the middle. It’s a nasty little short-short range bitch. Basically a roll of quarters with striking surfaces at all points.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
… and some military-issued (and signed) Fairbairn hand-to-hand books.[/quote]

Wow, very cool.

I been training kali for the last year, we’re gonna be testing out live blades some time soon. So that will be the bolo or the ginunting.

Anyone come across a yawara stick?
I was given a hand made (wood) one by my old sensei. Did a bit of research and found it had quite a bit of (recent) history.
see:

butterfly knife count???

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Anyone come across a yawara stick?
I was given a hand made (wood) one by my old sensei. Did a bit of research and found it had quite a bit of (recent) history.
see:

I trained to use one of those. They are interesting. Can certainly do some damage with them.

little bit of archery and messed about with a bo and knife but nothing serious

ive also trained in the art of the cock-hammer. you really watch out though, its a really um, potent, attack.

im also a master of the art of sharpened pencil, rusty boar knife, dull spoon, empty water bottle, inflatable hammer, and the sacred art of the old boot. each of which i can easily kill you with. unless you know the art of the cock-hammer, that will be more harder to combat