Anyone Tear Biceps With Over-Under?

[quote]matt74 wrote:
I just tore my bicep yesterday. I did it moving a table with some weight on it. I am getting a MRI tomarrow. what should I expect for rehab and pain.[/quote]

I tore my bicep back in october, the days directly following the surgery were painful although I spent most of it in a drug induced sleep. I would recomend you get back to lifting as quickly as possible. I took a week off and after that I began doing one arm kettlebell swings and snatches and got a front squat harness and sleed to train legs. I did a bunch of one arm work, one arm push presses, snatches and some other stuff and kept up with the leg work as best I could, front squats, lots of abs and sled dragging.

I was back squatting within 3 months, and set a new PR and within 5 months I was back to my old max bench and deadlift.

As of now my arm is pretty much 100% although there is some slight pain in the forearm every now and then

Never torn. Never want to.

Switched from over-under to both over grip years back, I like it.

I use Ironmind straps when lifting heavy, I like them, if I let go, they unravel - nice quick exit.

I noticed back was getting lopsided from over-under. Arms too. I did not like where that was headed.

At first did not think changing grip was possible, but I like it a lot.

HOWEVER, I’d imagine that no straps + competing, I might need to go with a mixed grip. I don’t plan to compete though.

I guess my point is: all the effort spent trying to get your training optimised, don’t waste tonnes of time with an injury. Avoid injuries! They suck. You can’t avoid them all but do your best.

[quote]matt74 wrote:
I just tore my bicep yesterday. I did it moving a table with some weight on it. I am getting a MRI tomarrow. what should I expect for rehab and pain.[/quote]

My pain was minimal. I took painkillers for about 2 days and I probably could have gone without it. I had surgery on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. The MRI actually was the worst part. Very uncomfortable and painful.

The rehab is slow and boring. I’m 16 weeks out and finally able to lift with no restrictions. The first time attempting to bench again I worked up to 85 pounds and started shaking pretty bad so I stopped. I benched 425 raw before the injury. It’s pretty humbling, but it comes back fast.

[quote]matt74 wrote:

How exactly did this happen???

I actually tore it while moving a rolling cart with a boat engine on it. The wheel of the cart ( cart has 4 wheels in each corner ) was caught in a control joint in the concrete floor. I just went to lift the corner of the cart and it popped. I almost threw up. It didn’t really hurt at first and only hurts when I do certain things. I go for conseltation with doc today. I’m pretty bummed. I just can’t believe doing something so simple could cause this.

[quote]matt74 wrote:
I actually tore it while moving a rolling cart with a boat engine on it. The wheel of the cart ( cart has 4 wheels in each corner ) was caught in a control joint in the concrete floor. I just went to lift the corner of the cart and it popped. I almost threw up. It didn’t really hurt at first and only hurts when I do certain things. I go for conseltation with doc today. I’m pretty bummed. I just can’t believe doing something so simple could cause this. [/quote]

I know what you mean. I tore mine doing something simple too. I would almost feel better if I had torn it pulling a huge PR deadlift.

Your tendon was probably frayed. My doctor said mine was so frayed from years of that being my under hand grip that it was bound to tear no matter what weight I was using.

I just can’t stand the fact that I am going to lose all the gains I have made. Just a week ago I pulled 500 x 3. I’ll see what the doc says, Makes me efin depressed just thinking about the word surgery.

I’ve been up to 675 raw and haven’t torn anything…YET, knock on wood.

However, there are times I’ve been repping out with an over-under and afterwards have felt some strain/slight pain under my bicep…when that happens I usually switch to pulling double-overhand with straps.

Of course I never gave it any thought before I started reading all these threads about it.

Thanks for making me paranoid motherfuckers!

Yep, surgery for sure. I tore the tendon and not the muscle itself. The doc says at least 3 months of rehab. I cannot do this. I have 4 kids and a wife that takes care of them and I only have 6 weeks of short term dissability. If I don’t heve the operation than I could loose 50% of the strength in my arm, if I do it I am out of commission for 3 months. I dont know what to do!!!

[quote]matt74 wrote:
Yep, surgery for sure. I tore the tendon and not the muscle itself. The doc says at least 3 months of rehab. I cannot do this. I have 4 kids and a wife that takes care of them and I only have 6 weeks of short term dissability. If I don’t heve the operation than I could loose 50% of the strength in my arm, if I do it I am out of commission for 3 months. I dont know what to do!!![/quote]

I don’t know what you do for a living, but I was back at work within a few days. If you have a job that requires physical labor, there’s not much you can do. I have a desk job so it wasn’t a big deal. I have a 3 year old and 7 month old and it was rough. My wife literally did everything for 3 months.

Was it your dominant arm? I’m right handed and tore my right bicep so I had to learn how to do everything left handed which made it harder. Just brushing your teeth or putting in contacts with your non-dominant hand is a challenge. The good thing is now I’m almost ambidextrous. The big thing is be careful with your good arm. Imagine how hard it would be if you tore both? My doctor said it happens all the time from people trying to do too much with their good arm.

I tore my right bicep using he over under grip about 2 years ago. I now use a double overhand… For 20 years I had no trouble… then one day while warming up it snapped. I use DOH now; it takes getting used to, but at least I can still do deads.

i’m thinking that most of you tore your
long head muscle and the fact that you all had surgery made it some what serious. i tore
my short head muscle tendon and had no surgery. the doc said it was pointless to go in and try to find the tendon.did have pt
but that lasted 4 wks.

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
i’m thinking that most of you tore your
long head muscle and the fact that you all had surgery made it some what serious. i tore
my short head muscle tendon and had no surgery. the doc said it was pointless to go in and try to find the tendon.did have pt
but that lasted 4 wks.[/quote]

I tore my tendon at the elbow, so both heads were unattached. If you only tore the short head tendon, it must have been at the shoulder. Most of the deadlift type tears are at the elbow.

I also tore the tendon at the elbow. If I were to wait too long it would be harder to bring back down and tie back together. I am thinking of trying to go back to work until a couple days before the surgery just so I don’t have to start my short term disability so soon before the operation. I dont know

Use straps and use a double over, it’s not like most people ever need to compete without straps.

Make sure not to neglect your grip training if you do that but I find it just makes life easier.

[quote]matt74 wrote:
I also tore the tendon at the elbow. If I were to wait too long it would be harder to bring back down and tie back together. I am thinking of trying to go back to work until a couple days before the surgery just so I don’t have to start my short term disability so soon before the operation. I dont know[/quote]

You can’t injury it anymore, so unless it prevents you from doing your job, you might as well continue to work.

Going in today at 12:30 for the operation. They didn’t want me to eat from midnight till I get out, Gonna be hungry after this. Getting more nervous by the hour. Wish me luck.

2 1/2 more weeks in this stupid cast. can’t wait to get this damn thing off. i asked the doc about doin arm and shoulder work. he gave me the not if want it to heal answere. getting restless and depressed. when the wrap came off to put the cast on i looked at my arm and had no bicep at all. tri should be missing also. DAMN!!!

[quote]matt74 wrote:
2 1/2 more weeks in this stupid cast. can’t wait to get this damn thing off. i asked the doc about doin arm and shoulder work. he gave me the not if want it to heal answere. getting restless and depressed. when the wrap came off to put the cast on i looked at my arm and had no bicep at all. tri should be missing also. DAMN!!![/quote]

Sorry to hear that man. Hope your recovery goes well.

To those of you who made the switch to double overhand, have you reached/exceeded your old over/under grip PBs without straps yet?

seems like most people are tearing tendons rather than muscles? how can you tell the difference before going to the doctor? tendon tears sound much wourse