T Nation

Anyone Tear Biceps With Over-Under?

What weight did you get it up to and how many reps were you doing.

Also, anything else to add (doing something silly, etc) that may have caused this?

Lots of guys have torn a bicep pulling with that grip. Kevin Nee has torn both, Oli Thompson, other big names as well. Those are just what come to mind.

My partner tore one was as well. It was at the top with 650. I think it’s a combination of overtraining and pulling too often.

I don’t know if it’s going to help, but after seeing all these recently I take lots of time to warm up the biceps and wear elbow sleeves with blue heat on.

Or, just get fucking tough like Misha/Gillingham and pull big weights double overhand :slight_smile:

Monopoly

Best DL=255kg x 1, no probs. Best Shrug, in rack, no straps =310kg x 6 reps using over / under,again no bicep probs.

Most bicep tears on deadlift come from not letting the arms hang. You need to get a good grip, but too often people will start to actually bend their arms on their approach to cinch in the grip or set their chest/back. So, once the weight leaves the ground, no matter how much weight it is, you are actually doing almost a curl type motion with your pulling weight. MAke sure you treat your arms like chains, and hands like hooks.
Hope this helps.

My training partner Mark Felix tore his bicep in WSM on the stones, for him it was an overtraining issue having competed in 13-14 strongman competitions in a 3 month period

[quote]aaron_lohan wrote:
My training partner Mark Felix tore his bicep in WSM on the stones, for him it was an overtraining issue having competed in 13-14 strongman competitions in a 3 month period[/quote]

You train with Mark Felix…?

Freaking sweet.

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
Most bicep tears on deadlift come from not letting the arms hang.[/quote]

Guilty.

I get it right at set-up, but I do this weird “mini-curl” at lockout. Couldn’t do it if I tried, not that I would want to. Bicep tears don’t sound like fun.

I believe Louie Simmons tore his deadlifting, switched to supinating his other arm and then tore that one.

I’m recovering from a bicep tear right now. I do agree that overtraining might have something to do with it. I used to train in a Westside format and would only pull every 6 weeks or so. I switched to 5/3/1 and started pulling heavy every week. After about two months on that schedule, I tore my bicep. Might just be a coincidence.

LSU:
Would you suggest complete lockout @ the elbows throughout the deadlifts? Currently I am not fully locked out but they do hang, if that makes sense.

mkro:
Err dumb question but did it hurt? How long did it take for the bicep to look normal again?

Can anyone explain the biomechanics of this?

My assumption is, as LSUPOWERDC said, that people deadlift with their elbows not locked out/i.e. in flexion. And as your approach lockout and your shoulder goes into extension you place enormous stress on the long head bicep tendon.

My anatomy is rusty so if someone could correct/add to that it would be appreciated.

"shoulder goes into extension "

That would be shoulder flexion as the elbow flexes and when the shoulder flexes the long head of biceps brachii acts to depress the head of the humerus which places undue stress upon it.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
LSU:
Would you suggest complete lockout @ the elbows throughout the deadlifts? Currently I am not fully locked out but they do hang, if that makes sense.

mkro:
Err dumb question but did it hurt? How long did it take for the bicep to look normal again?[/quote]

This thread’s been dead for a couple months, but to answer your question, my bicep still doesn’t look anywhere close to normal and I’m 16 weeks post surgery. It also didn’t hurt at all. I couldn’t even describe the feeling, but it wasn’t pain, just a strange pulling feeling followed by total weakness.

I also notice people twist with an over under…hook all the way baybeeee

[quote]mkrozewicz wrote:
kickureface wrote:
LSU:

mkro:
Err dumb question but did it hurt? How long did it take for the bicep to look normal again?

This thread’s been dead for a couple months, but to answer your question, my bicep still doesn’t look anywhere close to normal and I’m 16 weeks post surgery. It also didn’t hurt at all. I couldn’t even describe the feeling, but it wasn’t pain, just a strange pulling feeling followed by total weakness.[/quote]

Sounds interesting.
what were you lifting and what was the size of your biceps?

[quote]mkrozewicz wrote:
kickureface wrote:
LSU:

mkro:

This thread’s been dead for a couple months, but to answer your question, my bicep still doesn’t look anywhere close to normal and I’m 16 weeks post surgery. It also didn’t hurt at all. I couldn’t even describe the feeling, but it wasn’t pain, just a strange pulling feeling followed by total weakness.[/quote]

It took me almost 6 months after surgery until my biceps started to look like it did before my tear (tore at elbow). Mine didn’t hurt either. I just heard a pop and noticed I was a lot weaker with that arm, but I knew immediately what I did. I was trying to move a large (~600 lb.) rock with both arms supinated.

[quote]amphibian wrote:
"shoulder goes into extension "

That would be shoulder flexion as the elbow flexes and when the shoulder flexes the long head of biceps brachii acts to depress the head of the humerus which places undue stress upon it.[/quote]

In the concentric portion of a deadlift the shoulder (art humeri) goes into extension.

The only people I have heard of in Denmark that have pulled their biceps are strongmen (many of the events can cause tears) other than that one drug using powerlifter has pulled his bicep and one clean lifter has also. It is simply not that common among none assisted lifters. Keeping the arms straight fixes the issue.

Yes…your elbows should be locked out, but dont focus on locking them out. When you tighten your grip, your arm will bend slightly from the contraction of all the muscles in your arms and back,…its just how they work. You can keep the arms straight without trying to hyperextend the elbow and bend a little without engaging the biceps.
Go on youtube and look up belyaev, or look up some of us from LSU and check out vids of Travis Godawa. He is a great puller and a good illustration of what I am saying. It looks like his arma are bent, but if you pay attention, they are just tight. It comes from setting your whole body into the pull, and as I say, “gripping with your whole body.”

I just tore my bicep yesterday. I did it moving a table with some weight on it. I am getting a MRI tomarrow. what should I expect for rehab and pain.

Expect a decent amount of pain and a long boring rehab. A coach of mine recently tore his while spotting on bench. The side spotter wasnt paying attention and he had to catch it to save his sons life. He has been through a very long rehab. He now has full use but still doesnt push it and does his rubber band work.

DEfinitely one of the injuries you need to rehab properly and let heal.