Anyone Take Probiotics?

I have read that probiotics work as long as you keep using them. Does anyone take them and plan to stay on them indefinitely?

Any recommendations?

I take probiotics and plan to continue indefinitely ā€¦

I took them on and off and didnā€™t notice a difference. Then I took them consistently for like 5 months but also didnā€™t drink alchohol and cleaned up my diet considerably and guess what my gut issues went away. Lot of smart folks here who may care to chime in, but what I came across was leading me to believe that even tens of billions of probiotic micro organisms, even from multiple strains, isnā€™t really going to do much. And that the micro-Biome of the gut is more complex and more quickly evolving then we once thought. I could be out of my depth but itā€™s one sup I wonā€™t be shelling out $40 bucks a month on, at least for now.

I drink kombucha a few times a week. Does that count?

1 Like

I take a high-strength ā€˜premiumā€™ supplement and any gut issues have largely disappeared, feel quite good overall. Tempted to stop them for a bit and see what happens.

sounds interesting. How do you cleande up your diet? What changes do you made?

I have tried everything under the sun to improve gut health, and recently have been using saccharomyces boulardii. Itā€™s the first probiotic type thing where I noticed a difference almost immediately.

For me quitting drinking alchohol completely was the biggest change. Then I did low/no carb coupled with intermittent fasting (IF). When I got comfortable not eating till 1-3 Everyday, I through in a 24+ fast once every week or two when I felt like it. During this period I ate tons of salad and low carb veggies and tons of chicken thighs.
Now Iā€™m doing the vertical diet most of the time. No IF or fasting currently. Iā€™m in a good spot right now and gut is responding well.

Second the kombucha and I eat a lot of kimchi. Kombucha can be a little rough, but the ginger ones are usually good. I generally feel better when Iā€™m taking these in. Nothing quantitative and could completely be placebo, but I like both of them and would consume them even if they werenā€™t good ways to take in probiotics.

1 Like

Ditto this. I like drinking kombucha enough that Iā€™d drink one or two a week even if there were no health benefits. I like thinking that thereā€™s some benefit to taking in the probiotics, but if there isnā€™t, whatever.

Using Visbiome (VSL #3) right now - 450Billion units per serving. So far so good. Digestion seems to have improved and appetite is more in control. Pretty expensive for $120 months worth but I was intrigued by all the scientists on podcasts I listen to raving about it.