T Nation

Anyone Take Combat Sambo

I’ve enjoyed taking jiu jitsu, but feel that it’s not really for me. There is too much focus on what works for smaller/weaker guys. (I train at a top place, so the quality of instruction is high.) I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard, “Don’t use strength, just technique.” Well, I WANT to learn how to use my size and power to my advantage. If I have it, why not use it?

Most of the bigger guys I see do judo or combat sambo. From my research, I think combat sambo would better suit me. (Judo seems too one-dimensional.)

Has anyone here taken combat sambo? If so, what are your thoughts? (I’m going to check out some schools, of course, but I’d like to hear some opinions from people not looking for my money.)

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I’ve enjoyed taking jiu jitsu, but feel that it’s not really for me. There is too much focus on what works for smaller/weaker guys. (I train at a top place, so the quality of instruction is high.) I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard, “Don’t use strength, just technique.” Well, I WANT to learn how to use my size and power to my advantage. If I have it, why not use it?

Most of the bigger guys I see do judo or combat sambo. From my research, I think combat sambo would better suit me. (Judo seems too one-dimensional.)

Has anyone here taken combat sambo? If so, what are your thoughts? (I’m going to check out some schools, of course, but I’d like to hear some opinions from people not looking for my money.)[/quote]

I am not real familiar with combat sambo…but I have studied and earned my first dan in combat Hap Ki Do. I weigh 230 pounds, and this type of training works very well with joint locks, throws, muscle tears, and nerve damage. Preferred for close quarter fighting which fits in well with being a bouncer/body guard.

Just a thought…good luck I hope you find what you’re looking for…but I think this could be worth checking out.

Great, another MMA tool.

Corner karate isn’t enough for you kids these days? I thought the power ranger fad would have ended by now.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Great, another MMA tool.

Corner karate isn’t enough for you kids these days? I thought the power ranger fad would have ended by now.[/quote]

You didn’t leave yet? Trying to spread your doughebaggity to another thread?

Try Freestyle or Greco Roman wrestling.

Has anyone here taken combat sambo? If so, what are your thoughts? (I’m going to check out some schools, of course, but I’d like to hear some opinions from people not looking for my money.)[/quote]

That’s interesting that you say that. I think it has a lot to do with where you train. At my gym most of the guys are 195+ and a considerable number compete at 205, or walk around heavier at least. We are an MMA gym, so it is a little different than a straight BJJ gym though.

I think that as a bigger guy wrestling will pay off quite a bit, as it teaches to use your weight effectively and your size will allow you to throw guys around well.

I have very limited experience in Combat Sambo, as I just started with it. It seems good, but I hesitate to say that it favors larger guys.

I think youre gonna hear that same “dont use strength, use technique” thing. Instructors say it so you get the proper movement patterns down. How long have you been practicing jj

[quote]Steve Hale wrote:
Greco Roman wrestling.[/quote]

That’s a good idea. I’ll check that out, too.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
That’s interesting that you say that. I think it has a lot to do with where you train. At my gym most of the guys are 195+ and a considerable number compete at 205, or walk around heavier at least. We are an MMA gym, so it is a little different than a straight BJJ gym though.[/quote]

I think most BJJ gyms tend towards smaller students. Which is cool. Little guys need to train, too. But the teaching is too geared towards them.

I really like my school, and have learned a lot. And I’m going to stick around a while longer. It’s not like a person can go wrong learning BJJ. But by not learning how to use my size and strength, I’m missing out on an important aspect of the game.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Great, another MMA tool.

Corner karate isn’t enough for you kids these days? I thought the power ranger fad would have ended by now.[/quote]

Sambo is MMA? Man, you are a douchebag.

I will say this: I will glady end my self-imposed moratorium on kicking ass should we ever meet.

You can use your strength with Jiu Jitsu.
I’m a wrestler/judoka/jujitsuka.
Get your technique down solid, and once you do thats when you can use your strength.

[quote]ExtraGloria wrote:
You can use your strength with Jiu Jitsu.
I’m a wrestler/judoka/jujitsuka.
Get your technique down solid, and once you do thats when you can use your strength.[/quote]

Well said.

Judo has newaza (ground) techniques which I believe compliment jiu jitsu.

I don’t know man maybe I’m just lazy, but I like the fact that many instructors of BJJ teach techniques that don’t involve a lot of strength. I’d rather take somebody out without having to work as hard.

That said, I do understand where you’re coming from. There are some really cool guys as well as some strange/fruity cats in BJJ too.

I say try a different academy before you give it up. An MMA gym is the way to go.

Roy wrote:
Great, another MMA tool.

Corner karate isn’t enough for you kids these days? I thought the power ranger fad would have ended by now.

I will say this: I will glady end my self-imposed moratorium on kicking ass should we ever meet.[/quote]

Whatever you say Mr. Power Ranger… Shouldn’t you be jacking off to Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz right now? I hear they’re having more “drama” on another reality show.

Sambo is russian. Unless you’re in Russia, and are Russian, your fatass can forget about it. You’re never going to be a cage fighter or a ninja, just give it up.

[quote]Roy wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Roy wrote:
Great, another MMA tool.

I will say this: I will glady end my self-imposed moratorium on kicking ass should we ever meet.

Whatever you say Mr. Power Ranger… Shouldn’t you be jacking off to Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz right now? I hear they’re having more “drama” on another reality show.

Sambo is russian. Unless you’re in Russia, and are Russian, your fatass can forget about it. You’re never going to be a cage fighter or a ninja, just give it up.[/quote]

Why are you such a little fuck? There’s nothing wrong with being interested in combat sports. What does Sambo being Russian have to do with anything? I’m not Brazilian or Thai, yet I’ve trained in Muay Thai and have taken up BJJ. Imagine that. I will never compete in MMA, nor do I claim to do MMA. These are hobbies of mine that I enjoy.

Do you plan on being a pro bodybuilder? From your posts, I doubt you even put on any mass at all. I’m not going to tell you to give it up because I’m not a little prick like you. If you enjoy doing something, do it. I don’t understand why you would come on Cali’s thread and start bashing martial arts. I think that you’re a skinny little punk who can’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag, and now you’re trying to slam people that have accomplished more than you in an effort to make yourself feel better. Go out and achieve something.

Hi CL. It sounds like youre not as interested in judo, but I thought I would throw in my opinion of it. I think its excellent :). And for the record im at about 235 right now.

You will get the same line about doing the techniques properly (dont “muscle it up”) from instructors, but you can definately see the advantage the larger, skilled, judokas have. It makes them more “robust” in competition. If they have a poor grip on the gi they can still be strong enough to complete the throw, or if a technique isnt performed perfectly (as it never is when facing another person) they are able to compensate slightly with their extra leverage.

Check out some videos of Rhadi Fergusson (If youre not already familiar with him). There is an excellent example on youtube of Rhadi making use of his strength during a throw. I kinda felt bad for the guy getting tossed. :).

I also think judo is a good compliment to bjj as it focuses on getting a person down in a position where bjj is most effective.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Sambo is russian. Unless you’re in Russia, and are Russian, your fatass can forget about it. You’re never going to be a cage fighter or a ninja, just give it up.[/quote]

LOL. Roy, a man has gotta have a hobby. Mine happens to be lifting and ass-kicking. Yours happens to be admiring your 13" arms.

Different strokes for different folks.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Great, another MMA tool.

whats wrong with MMA. What’s wrong with you? Has your dick stopped working properly so you wanna take it out on the world?

If you want to kick ass and aren’t looking for any philosophy you might check out Krav Maga. It is used by the IDF.

www.kravmaga.com

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Roy wrote:
Great, another MMA tool.

whats wrong with MMA. What’s wrong with you? Has your dick stopped working properly so you wanna take it out on the world?[/quote]

Why are you repeating what you already PM’d me several times? Stalking me privatly isn’t enough, you have to publically humiliate yourself now?