Anyone Still Doing Big Beyond Belief?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Does anyone have an issue with the ‘endurance’ rep range (13-15) with pressing?? It seems like no matter the excercise, all my pressing muscles go to shit after about rep 10. I’ve tried ‘checking the ego’ and using lighter weight, but the weight I have to use to get a ‘clean’ 13-15 is such a huge drop off, it’s almost like I’m not even doing a working set, more like a warm-up. I dont get this on any other movements, just the pressing. Anyone else experience this???[/quote]

Yes. My bench and pressing strength went to the shit in the first 3 weeks, got better in week 4 and now week 5. Eat more, rest enough, BCAA. Push through this phase. I’ve work through both DB and BB, Incline and Flat and varying the grip on DB Press (Neutral and Pushing in at the top).

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Does anyone have an issue with the ‘endurance’ rep range (13-15) with pressing?? It seems like no matter the excercise, all my pressing muscles go to shit after about rep 10. I’ve tried ‘checking the ego’ and using lighter weight, but the weight I have to use to get a ‘clean’ 13-15 is such a huge drop off, it’s almost like I’m not even doing a working set, more like a warm-up. I dont get this on any other movements, just the pressing. Anyone else experience this???[/quote]

Yes. My bench and pressing strength went to the shit in the first 3 weeks, got better in week 4 and now week 5. Eat more, rest enough, BCAA. Push through this phase. I’ve work through both DB and BB, Incline and Flat and varying the grip on DB Press (Neutral and Pushing in at the top).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Yea I tried barbell pressing but the problem was even more prevelant, so most of my pressing is dumbbells. My pressing did improved in the 4th-6th weeks, when the rep range was lowered, but I’m on week 9 now, which is very tough. I’m definatly fighting through. I just wanted too see if this was common

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Yes. My bench and pressing strength went to the shit in the first 3 weeks, got better in week 4 and now week 5. Eat more, rest enough, BCAA. Push through this phase. I’ve work through both DB and BB, Incline and Flat and varying the grip on DB Press (Neutral and Pushing in at the top).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Yea I tried barbell pressing but the problem was even more prevelant, so most of my pressing is dumbbells. My pressing did improved in the 4th-6th weeks, when the rep range was lowered, but I’m on week 9 now, which is very tough. I’m definatly fighting through. I just wanted too see if this was common[/quote]

If you look at one of the earlier BBB threads it talks about it and I think so does other reviews online. Good luck with training and the eating :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m still trying to get big beyond belief.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Yeah I’m still trying to get big beyond belief.[/quote]

Aren’t we all… (at least I hope so on this site :stuck_out_tongue: )

Soooooooo… who’s still doing BBB?

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
Soooooooo… who’s still doing BBB? [/quote]

Stopped it a while back but learned a few good things from it:

1. Cycling low volume with higher volume works well (just not as high as BBB).

2. You don’t have to do every exercise/bodypart every single session - can slit it up…and most importantly

3. as much as it sounds great the idea of adapting to more workload, you still are bound by your own personal recovery capacity (i.e. if you constantly aren’t progressing in load despite gaining weight, you need to rest longer between training the bodypart).

In the end I’ve settled back to a 2x/week bodypart training, with the exception of cycling in higher volume periods every now and then.

You still doing it?

Na I haven’t been, but i’m going to give it another run starting today. First time I ran it I made great results and my diet wasn’t really in place (not enough protein) and second time I could only give it a go for 2 weeks lol… This time my diet is in way better shape, i’m leaner then the first time I started it, I have better MMC all over, and I’ve found which exercises have been working the best for me. Hopefully I can make some MODOK like gains this time around :wink:

Haha, the Modok like gains are what enticed me. To be honest, have never really been as tempted as I was when reading up about BBB (always followed my own design). Still, like I said, all is not lost if you learn from something. These days I understand the basic progression model for myself and don’t get too hung up about “all the stars being aligned” before doing anything. Not saying that’s what you’re doing, but it can be something a person often falls prey to :slight_smile:

Start Ramp 2 next week, strength gains have been very good. Back up/better than my numbers last fall. Had rotator cuff work on right shoulder in Feb. Healed up (and leaned up at bit) and good to go.

Im a bit confused on how to do the program . I’m not sure what load im supposed to use in the Super Growth Phaase and also how long does that time period last? And can i use to same exercises through out the week ? =\

read original thread. Blaze has it posted on page 2

theres too many threads lol. whichi is the original?

So hows it all going with BBB? How many people still going strong? Be curious to see from the people who have completed the full program what ramp worked best!

I think that there is no reason to do a quad AND hamstring every time it says thighs. Thighs can mean quads OR hams. When it says triceps you don’t do an exercise for all 3 heads. What I do is quads on Tues, Sat, and hams on Thurs. This will be especially useful in Ramp 2 when you do thighs every single day.

I am planning on working my way out of a fat loss phase and have been doing the “pre-conditioning” phase of BBB. It’s the same thing as the Ramp 1/Week 1 template except the rep ranges are 10-12, 8-10, and 6-8.

I’ve made some modification to BBB and have been running that to see what kind of results I get. Since I modified it I know that I can no longer call it BBB because now it’s not the same thing. However, I have preserved the spirit of BBB with a different split. This is what I’m doing:

Instead of:

Days 1,3,5
Chest
Back
Bis
Calves

Days 2,4,6
Thighs
Delts
Tris
Abs

I will be switching it to this:
Days 1,3,5
Chest
Delts
Tris
Calves

Days 2,4,6
Thighs
Horizontal pull
Vertical underhand pull
Abs

I didn’t like the pressing 6 days per week and the lack of back work. I’ve done ramp one this way and my first day of Super Growth was today. If anyone is interested they can check out my training log here:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/zachs_anabolic_diet_training_log?id=4706564&pageNo=5

I had to stop BBB after ramp 2 as i felt like i was constantly over training and even in the super growth bit i was constantly tired, loosing motivation. Perhaps i wasnt consuming enuff calories/protein. And i also felt any growth i had was from muscle the muscles being constantly pumped because as soon as i come off the program i felt like i was shrinking

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:
I had to stop BBB after ramp 2 as i felt like i was constantly over training and even in the super growth bit i was constantly tired, loosing motivation. Perhaps i wasnt consuming enuff calories/protein. And i also felt any growth i had was from muscle the muscles being constantly pumped because as soon as i come off the program i felt like i was shrinking[/quote]

You probably weren’t eating enough calories to support growth and recovery. Because of this, you weren’t able to supercompensate coming off the program. You’d probably want at least 20 calories per pound of bodyweight, per day, on this program.

Yea i think if i was going to try the program again i would have to really bump up the calories.

An earlier poster had mentioned that they found higher frequency works for them as they age. I am now approaching the big 4-0 next year and this very much applies to me. Plus, I love training and so will do it as often as I can squeeze in. I cannot say I have done BBB because I had to modify it, but here’s my take:

I picked up BBB, but I can only make it into the gym 3 times a week (rarely 4). So I took the 4-day program and still split it over 4 days (taking more than 1 week). This is okay as it is mostly full-body. When there is time I then added something random at the end of each session depending on what I wanted to focus on. This might be a barbell complex or focus on a particular muscle group.

At home I would then run exercises with dumbbells and bodyweight. This depended on how I felt and was more pump focused. As example, last night I was doing rows with a variety of grips. I use reps, partial-reps and static holds. My lats are sore as hell this morning.

As far as BBB is concerned, I am now in week 1 of ramp 3.

To further do ‘absolutely everything wrong’ I have also been fasting! How stupid does that sound. I only eat between 1.30pm and 8.30pm each day.

Results? Strength has consistently increased throughout the programme. Squats have gone up almost 30% for the same reps! The lowest return has been the bench press (maybe because I added fatgripz to the bar). Bench press (flat and incline) with dumbbells have gone great though.
Dropped a lot of fat and my abs are getting more visible almost daily.
I am a natural. My only supplements have been the cheapest brands of protein, creatine mono, multi-vits, omega-3. Drench everything to hell in olive oil too.

Conclusion: This is a great routine and I wish I could follow it strictly for any of the options. I cannot say that I have done BBB, because of the modifications, but would recommend it highly to anyone.
You can drop fat on it and I will be interested now to see how it works when I eat more.

Future plans: I need to finish it first! I then plan to start eating again while doing something totally different - a 3 day split. I will then start again with more calories for another round.