Anyone Started "The Best Damn Workout Plan For Natural Lifters"

Thanks. I think I better check myself then. That can be hard to do! Looking at my numbers, I think my RPE on my first two sets has gradually increased to an 8 or 9. I take a full 3 minute break between my 2nd set and all out set, to make sure I maximize, but I think I’m still feeling the impacts of my first 2 sets. Thanks for the feedback.

I train in a home gym, same stuff as you mentioned. I have no problems on the upper body stuff. It’s all sweet. Lower body on the other hand - hard. I’m onto week 8/9 lost track. Firstly I started lower with front squats double rest pause Tuesday. Back squats 6/8/10 drop sets Thursday. Barbell Hack squat (behind the legs) for the mtor Saturday. Deadlift double rest pause Monday. Barbell RDL Drop Sets Wednesday. Band resistance leg curls for mtor Friday. I killed myself after 3 weeks. Where as in a gym the leg extension/hamstring curl for the drop sets etc obviously doesn’t take a tole on the full body. Leg press for mtor would be sweet. I’m really struggling for the leg stuff :grimacing::grimacing:.
Switched up to only the front squat double rest pause, Bulgarian split squat for mtor and lunges drop sets.

1 Like

I don’t know if I dreamt this, but I recall seeing @Christian_Thibaudeau write it was after a couple of months the gains come. I’m on week 8/9 now and the past week i think I’ve looked my best all year. I’ve got a lot fuller and wider in the top half !

Hi… I’am in the sixth week, and feel very good, it is been working very well, since before I start this program I was very fatigue and with not much motivation, this program help me to activate myself mentally and strenght. I even started to lift more weights preferably in the rows and in the assitence works…

I also need to warm-up a lot, I started to incorporate loaded stretching also in my w.ups. and in the big lifts a like to ramp to 6RM, and the las 3 sets are my working sets, and in the las set I add the all-out set (doble pause, 6-8-10 etc…),

I also think that I need to change the workouts now instead of front squat back squat, cyclist squat etc… what do you guys think?

I tihink it is a excelent program for ectos-meso like myself, over 40, and naturals, also I think for beginners…

I would like to incorporate clusters works…

Thank you for answer and impressions.

I was thinking about these changes in exercises:

Lying Leg Curl → Dumbbell Hamstring Curl
Leg Extension → Rear-foot elevated split squat
Pec Deck or Cable Crossover → Dumbbell Flies
Supinated Lat Pulldown → Chin Up
Rope Triceps Extension → DB Triceps Extension

Looks good,
I do all the same now except I just do pull ups twice in the week for lats.
I should give the DB hamstring curls a try.

1 Like

I have a home gym as well and I’ve been lucky enough to get some of that old Nautilus equipment that is hard to find in modern gym nowadays. For those of you over 40, you will likely remember some of the old chain equipment like Nautilus Pullover, 10 Degree Fly Machine, and Duo Squat. M-Tor works awesome in the stretch position on the Pullover and 10 Degree Fly, so I’ve modified the original program based on some of the equipment I have. My plan is to change out a few of the exercises every 4th week, just to keep some variety, but likely keep most of the big exercises the same for the full 12 week stretch.

Here are some other substitutions for those that like BW exercises:

Ring dips → CG BP
Inverted rows → CS rows
Rings flys → Standing cable cross
1 arm push ups → BP
Hand stand push ups → OH press
Pistol squats → leg press

1 Like

That sounds brutal! I’ve been doing 6-8-10 drop sets on romanian deadlifts and its one of my least favorite things of all time. Not fun at all. I’m forcing myself to suck it up for 2 more weeks and then I’m switching to double rest pause after my deload week.

One thing I wanted to remind you of is that you don’t have to use all three methods every week. You can do one for 4-8 weeks and then switch. The reality is that certain methods don’t work well with certain exercises. For example I didn’t get much out of mTor sets with RDLs so I’m using the other methods.

I actually love the drop sets for RDL ! They hurt, but that’s the point I guess. I don’t do too many mtor sets. They are hard not using machines I think. I only do them for hammies once, quads once, for chest on DB flys… Suck it up definitely!!

Does anyone know when the 4 day push/pull thib program will be available - i’ve been looking forward tot his for a long time.

cheers guys.

Just got done with about 12 weeks. Was very skeptical about it, being that I’ve ways sworn by long high volume workouts… I’ve never had better results in my life than from this program. Strength, size, and recovery were insane! I’m switching to a different split for a couple weeks just for a change up, but I absolutely can’t wait to get back to this!

can you be little more specific concerning your results?
Have you changed anything in the program?

I am in my second week now and while it’s obviously too early for any result, I have to say it is interesting change in relation to all high volume and big lifts focused workouts I’ve been doing.
I am doing the program exactely how it’s written except adding calf exercise.

alex is that you in the avi after 12 weeks ? great physique

i’m also curious what sort of results folks have had, espeaclly in comparison to some of ct’s other programs.

a few specific things on this program (from my experience):

1. Sticking with the same compound movements (rather than an isolation) - say, bench, OHP & tricep dip for all push days [or maybe variatiosn in angle] and SGDL, chins, rows, barbell curls for all pull days [variations in stance,etc]

2. The warmup/ramp up - as an example if I’m goign to do 315 front squat for my push day. I do not feel comfortable doing only 2 sets of 6 before jumping up to that obviously. Similarly for the other big compounds (deadlift, bench, presses).
    SO have folks used more sets (say ramping sets of 3) or maybe an over-top set (ramp past the your first work set) to prime performance? seems like detail but makes a big difference for me…i don’t know if this increases volume too much and defeats the point of the program

3. Using primarily the rest pause/heavy 5 intensiffcation method? I don’t really like hte eccentric or the dropsets much. Has anyone just bascially done the rest pause heavy 5’s for every exericse eveyr day?

Thanks for any feedback!

I’m almost 10 weeks in. I opted for this after reading up on the HFT stuff that has been doing the rounds, and it seems to tick all the boxes. I can’t really assess results in terms of something tangible. I am planning another DEXA in Jan/Feb, which will give a more definitive conclusions. What I do believe is that I have leaned out considerably so far (obviously in conjunction with major dietary changes); and I also feel I am ‘progressing’ in terms of load and/or performance. I usually have mild DOMs in some part of my body, yet am recovered enough to run BDW days on end, if life permits it, without a rest day (I believe the longest is 10 days straight).

Other observations, the major compounds largely remain unchanged. What I have switched up is the isolation work. For example, I have recently started using bands on the bar to add extra resistance, especially for the eccentric phase, of curls. Unlike you, I believe the drop sets and MTOR sets are crucial judging by DOMs, especially on isolation work. For example, one good set of MTOR flyes and my pecs feel fried. I genuinely believe that mind muscle connection and emphasising the eccentric is crucial for hypertrophy, which chimes in with what most decent bodybuilders will tell you.

Regarding warm up sets, I don’t think there is anything wrong with ramping up on big movements. The difference is perhaps judging the load and reps. For example, on sumo deadlifts I’ll do 1-2 light sets at 5-6 reps, then 1-2 sets of moderate weight for 2-3 reps. Rest intervals are short because you are trying to get amped up for the work sets. Then, I up the weight and move on to the first ‘warm up’ work set. Having come from an HIT background, there is a certain dogma that anything more than one set to failure is a high volume routine. Clearly, that’s a bit of nonsense. Common sense prevails and you judge it as to when you feel ready. On many of the other movements, far less warm up sets will be needed.

1 Like
  1. Maybe I guess, but then you should use a different intensification technique each day. Anyway I don’t see why this would be beneficial, unless you have terrible mastery of the lift. Each exercise offers a unique muscle stimulus, and you can taylor it to adress your weaknesses (I did this cycle for quads SSB, leg extension and zercher because my weakness have always been quads and I also wanted some more upper back work)

2. Of course, there’s no way I’m doing heavy deads for instance without some ramping. Sometimes if I don’t feel that warmed-up etc I’ll add some more warm-up sets even for less intensive exercises

3. Once again this is a bodybuilding program and drop-sets and mTor provides different stimulus, TuT etc I think you should do them. Plus for some exercises (rear delt, cable chest etc) I don’t think it’s a good idea to go ultra heavy for 5 reps

1 Like

Wanted to get thoughts on progression with this routine. Realise it’s been about a month since this thread’s been active but figure the crew in here would have the most experience.

I’m in my second week now so trying to feel out a good progression. Example routine is this:

-front squat warm-up (10, 5, 2 reps getting closer to working weight)
-first two “working sets” aiming for 6-8 reps
-final hard double rest-pause set
(repeat for other exercises of the day, but no warm-up on say triceps at end)

So on next week same day, should I:

First two sets - push for higher reps till I hit 8 (6?) and then add weight, or is this against the idea of “use these to judge final hard set, so only give 70-80%”?
Final set - If I got 4 reps on the rest-pause, go for more till I can do 6 and then up weight.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated - I know @tom.k gave his progression plan a while back and any others would be great. Not sure if it matters but I’m in a calorie deficit of about 500 working to continue cutting after winning a transformation challenge a couple weeks ago.

Personally I beat the final set. If I only did 4 then I’ll try 6. When I can do 6-3-2 then I increase the weight

1 Like

I have only positive things to say about this plan. I am an endomorph who is prone to fat gain and I am also what CT might describe as a neuro type 3.

I have tried various plans, for example, German Body Comp but tended to experience a tail off in progress 4-6 weeks in. After some research into HFT, it was evident CT’s plan ticked so many boxes for me. I ran it religiously from September until 2 weeks ago and experienced almost linear progress throughout. The only reason I stopped was to change things up because even Type 3’s get bored eventually! Actually, after reading up on some methods talked about by Menno Henselmens and Borge Fagerli, I have tweaked things so I am doing something similar but which now constitutes full body training daily. CT has again unwittingly assisted me here because I use his Built for Bad circuits on ‘strength’ days.I am naturally intrigued to see his sequel article which will cover this very topic.

Going back to your point, you just need 2 weeks or so to dial in loads and tempo, etc. I tried to warm up generally and then launch into the two ‘warm up’ work sets. Of course, squatting, deadlifts, etc, require more care. I think it also helps if you have the facilities to warm up circuit style. That way when you finish your first main lift you can go straight into the first set of the next exercise (or have one mini warm up set first). That worked well for me. You don’t want to turn this into a high volume routine with too much preparation sets. Old school HIT guys like Ellington Darden used to say the first few reps (of his one set to failure) he would do slowly and steadily to act as the ‘warm up’. Strangely Vince Gironda said something along the same lines, and he was more a high volume guy. I reckon tempo is important too especially for the MTOR sets. Again, this is old school bodybuilding stuff about mind muscle connection which, if I’m being honest, I have neglected for years and just worried about moving the weight up and down for the most part.

Apologies for the rant. It must be Friday. It must be Christmas time!

1 Like

Thanks @aldebaran and @JamesBrawn007 for the feedback and thoughts.

I’ll focus on beating the final set each week and let the sets beforehand progress more naturally - with the focus on “slow and steady”. I also like the idea of a warm-up circuit as well and will give that a go from next week.

I’ve been a “5-day split, 3 sets to failure, 6-8 rep range” guy forever so interested to see how this lower volume, higher frequency style goes for me.

Thanks again and happy holidays!