T Nation

Anyone Spike Insuling Post Workout?

Im thinking of starting to throw in a little something into my shakes post workout to spike my insulin- has anyone found it effective?

I love insulin, it feels sooooooo good.

[quote]deadlybuzz wrote:
Im thinking of starting to throw in a little something into my shakes post workout to spike my insulin- has anyone found it effective?[/quote]

…uhhh…carbs?

Seriously, go read some articles, there are TONS on this site about the importance of PWO (Post Work Out) nutrition.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]deadlybuzz wrote:
Im thinking of starting to throw in a little something into my shakes post workout to spike my insulin- has anyone found it effective?[/quote]

Pre workout carbs…read Thibs posts

It is still considered more effective to spike insulin pre workout if the workout is designed to burn fat? I wouldn’t have thought so…

[quote]deadlybuzz wrote:

This (peri-workout nutrition) is one of the most basic aspects of sports nutrition and if you are in the slightest bit serious about your training you should get a-reading!

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
deadlybuzz wrote:
Im thinking of starting to throw in a little something into my shakes post workout to spike my insulin- has anyone found it effective?

It is now generally considered more effective to raise insulin pre-workout.

BBB[/quote]

deadlybuzz wrote:

BBB[/quote]

Only NOW?

I’m fairly certain I read an article on here that involved a study on this a good 2-3 years back. I’d try dig it up but the search feature never finds anything for me.

Found one related discussion, it may well have been one of Dave Barr’s older article that I read a while before this, but as the man says - he’s been pushing pre-workout nutrition for a long time:

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/study_is_it_necessary_to_spike_insulin_postworkout_1?id=2191023&pageNo=0

I started spiking pre-workout and started taking my big protein shake before also and have noticed a big improvement. I am not saying that it is the holy grail, but it definitely works better for me, and there is a lot of literature out there to support that fact.

Brook wrote:
It is still considered more effective to spike insulin pre workout if the workout is designed to burn fat? I wouldn’t have thought so…

No, but then a fat-burner training session would be less effective with a PWO insulin spike too.

In fact, since the primary goal of most here would be to retain muscle whilst losing fat, I still think that a pre-workout spike, followed by a PWO HA pulse would be a more effective fat loss solution, long term.

BBB[/quote]

Hey BBB,

I’d be interested to get your take on Dave Barr’s objective review of ALA http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/ala_anabolic_fat_loss and if you have any suggestions on a safe level for antioxidants? Thanks.

BT

RSGZ wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
deadlybuzz wrote:

BBB

Only NOW?

I’m fairly certain I read an article on here that involved a study on this a good 2-3 years back. I’d try dig it up but the search feature never finds anything for me.

Lol, only now becoming generally accepted.

BBB[/quote]

And how about Dave Barr’s article on how antioxidants can cause more harm than good? That was 3 years back as well and still it’s not universally accepted. http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/ala_anabolic_fat_loss

To see the negative reaction the topic received (from Bill Roberts and others): http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/vitamins_found_to_curb_exercise_benefits_