Anyone Ride? - Motorcycles

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
It’s funny that they use the word “choice” at the end of the commercial because to me it’s not really choice since it’s the same as their competition. If you want an American V-twin cruiser then you’re set. But if you want an American sportbike, adventure bike, or standard then you’re SOL.

Erik Buell Racing has a sportbike but it’s ridiculously expensive. Motus makes a touring bike but it’s also stupid expensive.

james
[/quote]
What I’m most surprised about with the engine is that it’s not a carbon copy of the Victory 106. Both companies are owned by Polaris Industries and all you hear about is how 21 century Victory’s motors are accompanied to the competition.

They must be trying to go head to head with the Harley C.V.O models with the 110. Not really an apples to apples comparison as most C.V.O. start at around $30,000 and head north from there.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:
My winter project…2005 Road King. [/quote]

Is that an animal on your seat? lol

james[/quote]

No, just sheepskin made to look like wolfskin. I never dreamed it would be so comfortable…I love it.
Here’s an animal on my bike…at least she turns me into an animal…has for 37 yrs. She looks good for an old grandma, doesn’t she? We love riding together but I don’t scrape the pegs when she’s on with me.[/quote]

Grandma?

No.

Impossibru. [/quote]

Thanks Orion,

Our oldest grandson is about to turn 16 and number 8 is on the way…due in October. Getting old isn’t near as bad as I thought it would be. Riding the Harley keeps us feeling young and we have both been blessed with great genetics…my dad is 81 and still pole vaults, high jumps, and runs in the senior olympics…he’s my hero! My wife just gets more beautiful with age…she looks better than she did in her 20’s.

For the guys thinking about riding, I say go for it! There’s nothing better than having your ladies legs wrapped around you on the bike all day. I think riding a motorcycle together is great relationship therapy.

Here’s a pic from a newspaper…pole vaulting at 80

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I’ve only ridden a few mini-bikes as a kid.

It’s something I’ve thought about learning to do… but I have no idea where to start. I don’t want to borrow someone’s bike and risk damaging it.

And pretty much everyone I know who rides now started when they were pretty young, often with dirtbikes, out in the country.

How do you even start? (Assuming you don’t already have a bike, and you’re not out in the country.)[/quote]

Take the MSF course and practice in a parking lot.

james[/quote]

Thanks. That seems pretty accessible.

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

james[/quote]

No, just sheepskin made to look like wolfskin. I never dreamed it would be so comfortable…I love it.
Here’s an animal on my bike…at least she turns me into an animal…has for 37 yrs. She looks good for an old grandma, doesn’t she? We love riding together but I don’t scrape the pegs when she’s on with me.[/quote]

Grandma?

No.

Impossibru. [/quote]

Thanks Orion,

Our oldest grandson is about to turn 16 and number 8 is on the way…due in October. Getting old isn’t near as bad as I thought it would be. Riding the Harley keeps us feeling young and we have both been blessed with great genetics…my dad is 81 and still pole vaults, high jumps, and runs in the senior olympics…he’s my hero! My wife just gets more beautiful with age…she looks better than she did in her 20’s.

For the guys thinking about riding, I say go for it! There’s nothing better than having your ladies legs wrapped around you on the bike all day. I think riding a motorcycle together is great relationship therapy.

[/quote]

No way are you and your wife 80. She is smoking hot on your motorcycle.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:

james[/quote]

Grandma?

No.

Impossibru. [/quote]

Thanks Orion,

[/quote]

No way are you and your wife 80. She is smoking hot on your motorcycle.[/quote]

No, that’s my dad that’s 81. My wife and I are in our late 50’s. And thanks,I still think she’s smoking hot too…after 37 years I still like waking up next to her every morning and I can’t take my eyes off of her during the day.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]andypotent wrote:
MV Agusta F4 (plastic projectile)
[/quote]

And no pics of the most beautiful bike on the planet?

james
[/quote]

Sorry for late reply.

I love the Cafe Racer look, and I always wanted to build a motorcycle. I just picked up this 1975 Honda CB125S off craigslist last night for $160. The engine has compression and there isn’t really a lot of rust in the whole thing (a lot of dirt though).

A pic of what I am aiming for.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
A pic of what I am aiming for.[/quote]

That’s going to turn out really well. I like the cafe look a lot.

james

Back from the dead. Spring is right around the corner…if you ignore the polar vortex chilling the midwest and the storms dumping foot upon foot of snow on the northeast.

Post up your bikes, what you’ve owned, and what you hope to own.

I’ve never understood heavy bikes. Someone mentioned the Triumph Thunderbird and I just looked through the specs out of interest. 96 ponies and it weighs…750 lbs wet. My old bike was a Husqvarna SMR 510cc and with mods, fuel mapping, tuning, new headers and exhaust / manifold and a few other things: >190 lbs dry, 90+ hp. And about 1/6th the price of a new heavy bike like the Thunderbird. It must just be about the noise those things make because they’re slow as shit and expensive too.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I’ve never understood heavy bikes. Someone mentioned the Triumph Thunderbird and I just looked through the specs out of interest. 96 ponies and it weighs…750 lbs wet. My old bike was a Husqvarna SMR 510cc and with mods, fuel mapping, tuning, new headers and exhaust / manifold and a few other things: >190 lbs dry, 90+ hp. And about 1/6th the price of a new heavy bike like the Thunderbird. It must just be about the noise those things make because they’re slow as shit and expensive too.[/quote]

Seriously, my Husqvarna was a super lightweight, road tailored machine with a tweaked fuel injected 510cc thumper. Why would anyone want to add extra cylinders and 500 lbs of chrome to that and pay an extra 50k for the pleasure of riding something that sounds like giant, angry hornets on steroids? Is that it or is it the comfort? Wouldn’t a sports cruiser be far better than these old chrome behemoths?

Bizzump.

After riding a Buell Blast (hangs head in shame) for the last 3 years I’m finally going to get something this season. Post up your bikes!

What I’m looking at right now…

monster

3 Likes

YESSSS!!! Here in MN we are still stuck in the 30s/40s, but I think we will be breaking into the 50s in a few weeks.

I’ve already seen a few bikes out, those who cannot wait for 50s/60s and the sand to be cleared off the roads.

In 2016 I picked up this nightster for what I thought was a good deal, brought an envelope of cash to pay for it (I can’t fathom a loan on a recreational vehicle) which felt great.

I love this thing. What I have done: progressive front shocks, progressive 412 in the rear, headlight (daymaker maybe?), replaced the stock clutch that blew up predictably at 23k mi, put in an alto clutch and omitted the spring plate, brake pads, and michellin commander II tires. Oh how important great tires are on a bike! This year I want to go full stage 1 and get some good 2-1 pipes and my own tuner.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why other manufacturers don’t adopt the desmodromic design that ducatti uses in their engines. Maybe manufacturing costs.

I’ve had my eye on the diavel which uses the same engine as what you posted, I believe. The diavel has (had) the quickest 0-60 time ever tested by cycle world, I think it was 2.9s if im not mistaken.

Ditch the blast, time to move up!

I’ve been riding my 2012 Yamaha Raider for the last 3-4 years. Before that was a Honda Shadow as a starter bike. Love the power in the Raider, for a cruiser it’s hard to beat.

Here’s my baby:

I saw my last post was from 2014 regarding a 125cc honda cafe racer. That project never really got off the ground and I jumped into another one. In 2015 I Bought a 1967 Honda CB160 for $400.

I beat the shit out of my knees and ankles trying to run-and-bump start the damn thing at first (the kickstarter splined shaft was stripped). I worked on it and got it running good enough (sometimes the electric start would work) to put 900 mi on it that summer, which is a lot considering most was done at 40-50mph, had it topped out at a (speedometer indicated) speed of 75mph (probably more like 62mph).

This is the only pic I can find at the moment, not great but it’s there. I can’t tell you how much this thing made me appreciate my push-button start Harley that can easily handle the highway.