Anyone Respectable and 8-5?

[quote]Damici wrote:
Progress can still be made, but it’s usually just a little improvement on a body part here or there. It’s much slower. Maintenance is no problem, though.

[/quote]

I think Damici summed it up fairly well. It ends up being baby steps forward and then either maintain or regression, then cycle it again.

My schedule is:

4:00am (or 4:30am if I’m tired) Wake up get ready
5:00am leave the house (catch a ~30 minute nap on the train)
6:30am start work
4:00pm leave work
5:30-6:00pm get home, kid’s homework/bathtime/etc…
From 8:30pm to 10:30pm get kids to bed/clean up
10:30pm (11:00pm tonight) Quick training session in garage
12:00am/12:30am Bed

repeat

By no means would I recommend shooting for maintenance, but set up a few quick sessions in your head or on paper (like 20 minutes) to cover off those busy times.

No excuses, find a way to make it work.

I work 7-4:30 M-F. Having a set schedule makes it easier for me to plan my meals, exercise, etc. The shitty thing is that I’ve become really stiff in the hip area and my body pops and creaks and aches in weird little ways that it never did before. But I still prefer this job over my last one, where I stood all day and worked a rotating schedule.

I think planning and maintaining proper nutrition becomes more of the issue, at least if you have the discipline to force yourself to train in the morning or at night after work when you are tired. Last summer, I was a summer associate at a law firm and basically had to do all my training in the morning.

Bascially just on Surge. There was no time to eat breakfast and wait to digest before training. I did not have good gains over the summer despite eating many thousands of calories. But the food was bad. Enormous meals but largely processed and probably devoid of a lot of nutrition.

And the lifestyle otherwise was not healthy. I drank more and went out more nights a week than I ever did in college. And got way less sleep. I would expect that gains will still be good when working full time but controlling my own nutrition and not going out that much or that hard.

Try taking a short walk every hour, just five minutes or so. It helps with the soreness.

Good advice on this thread. Planning is key. Another important comment I say up there is realizing when you are not at work it is your time. Try not to bring work home with you, either to do or just in your head. Once I could do that I was more productive at work and in the gym.

I was the office pariah. Never ate at potlucks. Would eat tuna at my desk. It only offend the people who were insecure, though. Companies are now trying to make their workforce healthier–use that to your advantage.

Oh, and a trick my father taught me for the social gatherings at bars. Establish ‘your drink’ as one you can easily fake. Something in coke, something in tonic, etc. That way you can give a appearance of imbibing without having to.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Oh, and a trick my father taught me for the social gatherings at bars. Establish ‘your drink’ as one you can easily fake. Something in coke, something in tonic, etc. That way you can give a appearance of imbibing without having to.[/quote]

It’s crazy that that much pressure is there to where this is a necessity. Wow.

I work two jobs and manage. Sometimes I have to admit my workouts are shorter but I like to go just to keep in the habit.

For me the challenge is the meal preparation. When I get home I just don’t want to “have to” do something else.

Good for you to look ahead to find the problems. You are probably a good planner and organizer already.

[quote]Damici wrote:
8-5 is child’s play, bud. That’s just getting warmed up.

Sad, but true nowadays.[/quote]

True. And then add kids and you are really screwed.

Train hard and make your big gains now while you have time.

I work 6a-6p or 6p-6a. Every week is diffrent.

I work with half 10-12 guys that are big, lean and strong. They can do it working 12hr swing shift and alot of overtime, than anyone can do it work 8hr days.

The only people I know who work a traditional 40-hr work week are Union members and Europeans. Most of us put in far more than that I’d expect.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I work 6a-6p or 6p-6a. Every week is diffrent.

I work with half 10-12 guys that are big, lean and strong. They can do it working 12hr swing shift and alot of overtime, than anyone can do it work 8hr days.

[/quote]

There are people in the military who do this all of the time. It is all about priorities…something some people seem to have a hard time with.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I am about to start working full time again and I am not looking forward to “real life”. I have enjoyed working about 30 hours a week up until now. [/quote]

Don’t do it, X. Save yourself!

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

My schedule is:

4:00am (or 4:30am if I’m tired) Wake up get ready
5:00am leave the house (catch a ~30 minute nap on the train)
6:30am start work
4:00pm leave work
5:30-6:00pm get home, kid’s homework/bathtime/etc…
From 8:30pm to 10:30pm get kids to bed/clean up
10:30pm (11:00pm tonight) Quick training session in garage
12:00am/12:30am Bed

repeat

By no means would I recommend shooting for maintenance, but set up a few quick sessions in your head or on paper (like 20 minutes) to cover off those busy times.

No excuses, find a way to make it work. [/quote]

“Dude!”

this thread is depressing

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
[/quote]

Your avatar is depressing.

your mom is depressing

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
[/quote]

seriously can you explain that avatar? wtf

I would seriously have to love my job to work more than 40 hours a week. I begrudge full-time enough as it is. I guess I am not very motivated by money.

I’m a programmer (read: sits just about all day).

Day starts at 4:15am.

At gym by 5am and walk treadmill, stepmill, or row to wake up, maybe do some mobility stuff. If I know my day is packed, I’ll lift, although I really don’t like to lift that early.

Work is literally next door to the gym, so I get there by 6am. On workout days, walk back to gym to do real work at around 11am.

Back to work until about 4-6pm (depends on project deadlines)-- then home, wife/kids, more computer (ie non-work, like now), usually in bed by 9 depending on exhaustion levels.

Repeat. Forever…

I work 7:15-6:15 M-Th and 9-5 F and sometimes the weekend. Since I graze all day, I don’t take a lunch and sometimes nap.

What sucks is that when I do two-a-days is that I don’t get home later than usual and the second workout isn’t over until really late. This is all because I pretty much have to fulfill the 10 hr quota in a day.

As for meal prep, I cook mass quantities on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The only thing that causes me problems with my physique is that I like to drink… a lot.