T Nation

Anyone Really Disappointed with American Sniper?


#1

I watched American sniper last night after previously reading and loving Kyle's book. I thought the book offered a great read because of how in depth he described deployment, his encounters training and working with polish SF, I also liked that he covered how his tours affected his family.

Having watched the film I was pretty bummed out that they completely lied about what happened and what kyle did, often times not only did the hollywood version make the film less interesting than what really happened, but it also seems kind of scummy to fictionalise the film to an incredible level when the opening of the film states "this is a true story", not is based on, but is a true story.

  1. They changed the scene at the beginning, in real life he shot a woman who was secretly carying a grenade, he shoots her dead and saves the marines.

In the film he shoots her, then shoots her child who picks the grenade up. Why?

  1. The enemy sniper mustaffa had no engagement with kyle or any of his team on any of his tours, the sniper was killed by a completely different group of seals, Kyle himself stated that on the opie and anthony show.

The entire plot is based around the sniper, who the films portrays as killing other seals he is deployed with, leading to exchanges that ends up killing more seals, his anger over mustaffa festers while he is stateside, creating much of the films tension, this however is all based on a blatant fiction.

It ruined the film for me and looking at similar people who were fans of the book who posted poor reviews, there is this backlash calling anyone who has any problems with the film America haters and a load of other stuff, which is somewhat annoying.

It is basically the same as the film lone survivor, they took an awesome real story from the book and just added a bunch of made up stuff. At the end that attack on the village by the taliban, it never happens, which again, ruined a true story about a soldiers badassness and heroism.

What did you think of the film? I thought it was awful but i thought bradley cooper gave an ok performance and looked as close to chris kyle as anyone could.


#2

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread


#3

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread[/quote]

How was it great? It took an awesome book, changed almost everything in it, added a bunch of false stuff which added nothing to it and had some awful acting.


#4

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread[/quote]

How was it great? It took an awesome book, changed almost everything in it, added a bunch of false stuff which added nothing to it and had some awful acting.

[/quote]

If you don’t like America why don’t you go live in Russia with Michael Moore and the rest of your comrades?


#5

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread[/quote]

How was it great? It took an awesome book, changed almost everything in it, added a bunch of false stuff which added nothing to it and had some awful acting.

[/quote]

If you don’t like America why don’t you go live in Russia with Michael Moore and the rest of your comrades?
[/quote]

Haha :smiley:


#6

Your argument is invalid.

Because 'Murica.


#7

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread[/quote]

How was it great? It took an awesome book, changed almost everything in it, added a bunch of false stuff which added nothing to it and had some awful acting.

[/quote]

If you don’t like America why don’t you go live in Russia with Michael Moore and the rest of your comrades?
[/quote]

Did someone in this thread say he doesn’t like America?

Are you implying there is something wrong with Russia?


#8

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Are you implying there is something wrong with Russia?
[/quote]

Damn right there’s something wrong with Russia. They don’t have FREEDUMB!


#9

Word to your mother.

God bless America.


#10

I didn’t see the film, but Chris Kyle has lied about certain incidents of his life anyway.
Aside from that, a film can still be judged as a great piece of art regardless of its origin or inspiration.


#11

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
I watched American sniper last night after previously reading and loving Kyle’s book. I thought the book offered a great read because of how in depth he described deployment, his encounters training and working with polish SF, I also liked that he covered how his tours affected his family.

Having watched the film I was pretty bummed out that they completely lied about what happened and what kyle did, often times not only did the hollywood version make the film less interesting than what really happened, but it also seems kind of scummy to fictionalise the film to an incredible level when the opening of the film states “this is a true story”, not is based on, but is a true story.

  1. They changed the scene at the beginning, in real life he shot a woman who was secretly carying a grenade, he shoots her dead and saves the marines.

In the film he shoots her, then shoots her child who picks the grenade up. Why?

  1. The enemy sniper mustaffa had no engagement with kyle or any of his team on any of his tours, the sniper was killed by a completely different group of seals, Kyle himself stated that on the opie and anthony show.

The entire plot is based around the sniper, who the films portrays as killing other seals he is deployed with, leading to exchanges that ends up killing more seals, his anger over mustaffa festers while he is stateside, creating much of the films tension, this however is all based on a blatant fiction.

It ruined the film for me and looking at similar people who were fans of the book who posted poor reviews, there is this backlash calling anyone who has any problems with the film America haters and a load of other stuff, which is somewhat annoying.

It is basically the same as the film lone survivor, they took an awesome real story from the book and just added a bunch of made up stuff. At the end that attack on the village by the taliban, it never happens, which again, ruined a true story about a soldiers badassness and heroism.

What did you think of the film? I thought it was awful but i thought bradley cooper gave an ok performance and looked as close to chris kyle as anyone could.
[/quote]

Yeah, I haven’t read the book but if what you say is true (and I have know doubt it is) that would annoy me as well. Makes you question why they wouldn’t just tell the story based on its own merits if they thought it was worth making a movie out of. Similarly, I hated 127 hrs (the Aron Ralston story) after reading “Between a Rock and a Hard Place” because they failed on all levels to bring the dude’s experience to life.


#12

Ha. I just realised that in the Statue of Liberty 'Murica picture I posted, all of the assault rifles are foreign: two Belgian models (FN CAL and SCAR) and one Israeli (Galil).

I’m sure that was intentional on the part of the artist.


#13

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread[/quote]

How was it great? It took an awesome book, changed almost everything in it, added a bunch of false stuff which added nothing to it and had some awful acting.

[/quote]

If you don’t like America why don’t you go live in Russia with Michael Moore and the rest of your comrades?
[/quote]

Did someone in this thread say he doesn’t like America?

Are you implying there is something wrong with Russia?
[/quote]

When you get to Russia be sure to watch some soccer and let us know how you like smoking those commie cigarettes with your mail-order bride.


#14

Speaking of US entertainment, HBO is going to be remaking utopia, the greatest UK TV show ever made, also the most gory.

Hope it turns out good.


#15

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
When you get to Russia be sure to watch some soccer and let us know how you like smoking those commie cigarettes with your mail-order bride.
[/quote]

That was actually pretty funny.


#16

I never read the book, but I did hear of the story you mentioned in #1. I don’t know why Eastwood chose to change it. I think the reality would have suited the film and its tone better.

And just to be a film nazi- the mother actually hands the kid some kind of grenade. The kid runs towards the convoy and then Kyle shoots him. The mother then, inexplicably imo and totally ruining any sense of realism, picks up the fucking grenade and attempts to throw it. Instead of either running grief-stricken towards the kid or running away because she knows there’s someone out there who just shot the kid.

… What?

I also questioned #2 as I saw the film. It seemed too much like an action movie cliche. I get that it’s a film, but meh.


#17

[quote]magick wrote:
I never read the book, but I did hear of the story you mentioned in #1. I don’t know why Eastwood chose to change it. I think the reality would have suited the film and its tone better.

And just to be a film nazi- the mother actually hands the kid some kind of grenade. The kid runs towards the convoy and then Kyle shoots him. The mother then, inexplicably imo and totally ruining any sense of realism, picks up the fucking grenade and attempts to throw it. Instead of either running grief-stricken towards the kid or running away because she knows there’s someone out there who just shot the kid.

… What?
[/quote]
You do realize that that might not be his mother. Or the fact that many of the radicals are bat shit fucking crazy right.


#18

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
I never read the book, but I did hear of the story you mentioned in #1. I don’t know why Eastwood chose to change it. I think the reality would have suited the film and its tone better.

And just to be a film nazi- the mother actually hands the kid some kind of grenade. The kid runs towards the convoy and then Kyle shoots him. The mother then, inexplicably imo and totally ruining any sense of realism, picks up the fucking grenade and attempts to throw it. Instead of either running grief-stricken towards the kid or running away because she knows there’s someone out there who just shot the kid.

… What?
[/quote]
You do realize that that might not be his mother. Or the fact that many of the radicals are bat shit fucking crazy right. [/quote]

This is why people are calling it propoganda, they wanted to portray it as a black/white good v evil opening scene where a mother sends her child to kill troops. In reality there was no kid. Just like there was no sniper, or seals killed finding the sniper, or seals killed after being ambushed by him.

Also in the film he says it was the kids mother, cementing that black/white thing in the viewers mind. Using something that never happened to create a different narrative.

It has been changed so much that it bears no resemblance to the real story.

Another example is that Kyle never second guessed himself or had a moral dilema, he said in his book he was glad he killed all those “savages” and has no regrets at all. In the film he is constantly having moral quandaries looking through his scope.

EDIT**

Another example in lone survivor was when they claimed the guy they were there to kill had killed 20 US servicemen last week, hell kill another 30 this week unless we stop him etc. This is provably false, at that time during that year no servicemen had dies for weeks and the total number of deaths were less than a hundred for the entire country, almost all of which, Ahmed had nothing to do with.

Also the film claims 200 fighters attacked them, in the book he claims 30-40.

I hate when they do that sort of stuff, makes you question the motive.


#19

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Words
[/quote]
No it was great.

/thread[/quote]

How was it great? It took an awesome book, changed almost everything in it, added a bunch of false stuff which added nothing to it and had some awful acting.

[/quote]

If you don’t like America why don’t you go live in Russia with Michael Moore and the rest of your comrades?
[/quote]

Did someone in this thread say he doesn’t like America?

Are you implying there is something wrong with Russia?
[/quote]

When you get to Russia be sure to watch some soccer and let us know how you like smoking those commie cigarettes with your mail-order bride.
[/quote]

Why would he get a mail order bride in Russia? Would it not just be a Russian wife?


#20

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Why would he get a mail order bride in Russia? Would it not just be a Russian wife?
[/quote]

He couldn’t get a mail order bride in Russia. Or at least he couldn’t keep her very long if he was planning on staying. The only point of becoming a mail order bride is so you can marry a rich American and LEAVE Russia.