Anyone Read This Book?

A buddy of mine dropped off a book to me. Has anyone read “Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach”, by Frederick Hatfield Ph.D.

It was published in 1981, so I was curious how relevant it is today.

Here’s the link to the ISBN:

Thanks
Matt

Have not read it yet. But I have looked through the table of contents on amazon, and it looks interesting. Remember, everything is still relevant about training no matter when it was written. You can learn something from every book, even if it is to learn what NOT to do. It depends on how you use it.

[quote]StrongMan wrote:
A buddy of mine dropped off a book to me. Has anyone read “Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach”, by Frederick Hatfield Ph.D.

It was published in 1981, so I was curious how relevant it is today.

Here’s the link to the ISBN:

Thanks
Matt[/quote]

Yes, I’ve read the book many times. I have a dog-earred copy at home… purchased back around '81/'82.

Is the book relevant to today? I would say so. He gives some great discussion and pictures on powerlifting technique… what to do and what not to do. Really, this is one of the best discussions of its kind I’ve ever seen in any book. He talks a lot about the kind of stuff he is into, i.e., high-bar squats, isolating muscles to develop strength that can then be applied to the powerlifts, etc. You may not agree with everything, and of course many of the rules of powerlifting have changed since then, but it’s a very worthwhile read for an oft-forgotten and underrated book about the powerlifting game.

I guess this should be a book review!

I read it and loved it. Hatfield also wrote “Bodybuilding a Scientific Approach.” That too is a good book. Dr. “Squat” as he is called is one of the best strength coaches in the world and was years ahead of his time!

If I am not mistaken I think he was also the first to Squat 1000lbs.

I dont have the powerlifting book but I do have POWER: A scientific approach. Its a great book, and it maybe old but it has a big section about CAT in it and that is enough for me. And also stress the importance of speed in training.
WIll42

Thanks for the feedback guys. I look forward to reading this one.

I think Fred Hatfield was the first to squat 1000 in his weight class.

He’s certainly one of the most famous powerlifters of all time, and he also runs his own site and company, as well as the ISSA certification organization.

He’s trained athletes like Evander Holyfield.

Yes the books still relevant.
It’s a good book worth reading many times.
It has a chapter on CAT training which Luie Simmons references in lots of his articles.

Wow,

This is the book that got me started on sports science. I was studying BJJ and my instructor suggested it…this would have been in 1995. Not too long after I got my ISSA cert, read all of his other books, was introduced to the work of Charles Staley, Alwyn Cosgrove, and T-Nation.

Ahhh…memories.

Max

[quote]ZEB wrote:
If I am not mistaken I think he was also the first to Squat 1000lbs. [/quote]

You’re correct, and the lift actually took him less than three seconds!

His daughter Disa is a good friend of mine and a very accomplished powerlifter in her own right.

Great book. I have several of his books and they all have good info in them. The books were really ahead of their time and it was years before I ever saw some of the same information in magazines. Some of the stuff I have still not seen anywhere else, even on this site.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
If I am not mistaken I think he was also the first to Squat 1000lbs. [/quote]

Technically, I believe it was 1014, at 255.

Since you guys seem to really like his Powerlifting book, anyone read: Hardcore Bodybuilding: A Scientific Approach

Or Bodybuilding: A Scientific Approach, for that matter? I guess this book is for medium-core trainers only.

Thanks.

I own the HB:ASA-lots of stuff to make you think, lots of other stuff that make you want to find the nearest exit. Good thoughts on muscular training frequency, rep ranges, and recovery. Lots of crap about “Natural BB federations” and sups that never worked-he droned on about how a bunch of second rate BB’s who were supposedly clean started their own federation with Vince M from WWF. It is an interesting read-some pretty interesting points, along with sermoninizing I could have done without. Go ahead Fred-tell me your 1014 squat was clean :slight_smile:

I like Hatfield and used his program (ISSA) for pt certification-one of the best on the market. But sometimes he gets kooky and forgets which audience he is talking to-you don’t try to feed your muscle and fiction crap to people who want real info.

Good author, pretty good book, not so good rant.