T Nation

Anyone Read Men's Health Power Training Book?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had read the book Men’s Health Power Training book by Robert dos Remedios. I was thinking of giving the strength push/pull program a try and I wanted to see what more experienced lifters had thought of it. Also, I’ve been reading about Wendler’s 5/3/1, and read some posts on the program and I’ve read that some people think it’s a program designed mainly for more experienced lifters. Anyone think a beginner should give it a shot? Thank you.

what does the mens health (shudder) programme entail? i browse their website for a laugh every now and again. i cant imagine it would be better for a beginner than 5/3/1 or any 5x5 routine

Most of us here ignore Men’s Health on principle. From what I’ve seen, their idea of an excellent bodybuilding program is the ‘300’ circuit-training-then-paint-your-abs-on workout.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
what does the mens health (shudder) programme entail? i browse their website for a laugh every now and again. i cant imagine it would be better for a beginner than 5/3/1 or any 5x5 routine[/quote]
It isn’t a “men’s health” program. It’s written by Robert Dos Remedios, a coach who Alwyn Cosgrove (for one) considers to know his shit. Dos is a contributor to Men’s Health.

I haven’t read the book, but there was a thread discussing people’s positive experiences with the program here:

Fun Fact: The full title of one of Chad Waterbury’s books is Men’s Health Huge in a Hurry. that doesn’t mean it’s a “Men’s Health program”, either.

The reps change every three weeks, but the basic layout of the program is this …

Explosive (4x5)
Hip/Knee Dominant (4x6)
Horizontial Push/Pull (4x6)
Vertical Push/Pull (4x6)
Rotational (4x10)
Bridging 30-45 seconds

Four day a week Push/Pull program. Also, I’ve lost a lot of weight recently, and I have redundant skin on my midsection, and I was told building muscle would help to tighten that up. Does that mean a hypertrophy program would be better than a strength program like Wendler 5/3/1 for that?

so, cleans 4x5
squat 4x6
bench4x6
pullups 4x6
wood choppers 4x10
bridging

then

snatches
deadlift
rows
ohp
etc