Anyone Properly Healed Bulged Discs with Training?

Hey folks newbie to the site (first post) lol
Just wondering if anyone on here has properly healed low back disc issues with training? Ive got 3 buldges and annular tare in 1 etc nothing major requiring surgery yet but still get pain and some nerve issues.

Went back training,focusing on compound lifts and only pull sumo now not convetional as it suits my anatomy a bit better i feel fine after deadlifting maybe even better but im just wondering if what im doing is safe/the right path for me
Ive tried all the usual stretching,foam rolling,chiro,massage for years and nothing is a long term fix,strength training seems to help a bit i think

Thanks

1 Like

Supposedly reverse hypers will do wonders for herniated and bulging disks.

Mine has never healed completely, but the best thing I have found is decompression. I hang off a GHR holding a 25 lb plate.
I have also found that working the hell out of it and having an occasional re-injury is better than letting it get weak.

1 Like

Read some of Stuart McGill’s work. Simple things that may help are avoiding spinal flexion, strengthening core muscles (look for McGill’s “big 3”, don’t do things like situps and crunches that involve spinal flexion) and learn how to brace properly when lifting.

It helps some people but it can cause injury in others. Repeated spinal flexion can cause the intervertebral discs to break down, some people can tolerate this (just like deadlifting with a rounded back) while others can’t.

Bighdx what you say makes sense to me
Sitting at home being scared to do stuff because it messes you up just ruins me mentally
Been back in the gym for 2 months training as hard as i can doing sumo deads and squats etc and i feel far better when i leave the gym but when i get stiff the next day it feels like my backs going to go out sometimes,its something ive had for years i would love to fix it once and for all but ive done everything i can so maybe its like you say youve just gotta get on and deal with it

I’ll do something rare… I’ll defer to you on this one.

The reverse hyper is something that can make or break your back. Some people swear by it, but at the same time I hear there are chiropractors getting sued because they destroyed patients’ backs with it.

I’m just spreading the message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMosd-182Ws

Why did you get a bulging disc? Firgure it out then stop.

Press-ups aka the seal stretch is a good thing to include in your warmups, they send fluid back to the front of you disc. Also do them first thing in the morning, and right before you go to bed. 10 reps hold for 10 sec each.

What I’ve done is quit squatting atg. I too bough/read mcgills ultimate perfomance back book. I learned that i am probably not built to squat deep (western hips).

Strengthen your hamstrings and glutes, a lot. Ghr, sldl, hip thrusters.

Well i went and trained today squat bench row etc and for some reason bent over row is the only move that seems to really fuck me up i was going heavy 3rd set last few reps with good form and felt a sharp stabbing pain so i stopped.
Im gonna cut out barbell rows for now

I’ve posted about this numerous times in this thread. 5/3/1 & Back Injuries - #13 by BrickHead

Here’s the post again to someone else but applies here. Are you speaking of a literal popping sound, or are you using the word pop to express that your back gives out, so to speak?

I suffered from two herniated discs which I’ve discussed at length in my personal thread in the bodybuilding section. This, after 25 years of being physically active with no injuries. I am not a surgical candidate but have suffered from a lot of nerve pain radiating through my leg and into my left foot. I went through five months of physical therapy and use neurontin as prescribed by my physiatrist.

My word of advice: go to an orthopedist or physiatrist NOW! You might have herniated discs. Many people have herniated discs but they’re not clinically significant because they are not touching nerves and causing dysfunction or pain. Actually, many people are walking around with bodily abnormalities that cause no pain or dysfunction and because of that, they don’t know it. But you are experiencing pain.

My herniated discs did not come on as a result of one action, if I recall correctly. It was a pain here, a pain there, and then one day I had sciatica and knew something was wrong. That radiculopathy has not fully gone away for over seven months! So I’ve been walking around with daily pain for nine months or so. The pain has resolved quite a bit, but it’s not fully gone. Herniated discs requiring no surgery and minor nerve damage can take up to two years to resolve. When I started PT, we did no exercises providing rotation or compression of the spine. We started off with foam rolling, stretching, cable and band exercises, and some weighted hip thrusts. We slowly progressed to more compressive exercises like RDL’s, trap bar deadlifts, and bar step ups.

I am now on my own but still consult my PT once per month and I in no way am doing highly compressive exercises until my radiculopathy resolves. And my advice to you is to do the same after checking what’s wrong. People get too hell bent on sticking to what they’re doing, a program or exercise, when that shouldn’t even be the current concern. Some guy like myself had no and still doesn’t have any business in excelling at highly compressive exercises like overhead standing presses, standard deadlifts, and back squats, three of the 5/3/1 staples, although 5/3/1 can be modified for variations of those lifts that are less compressive. But again, excelling in strength shouldn’t be a concern for a guy who has long term pain on and off. The concern should be to get healthier and pain free. If one keeps pushing despite showed a warning sign something is wrong, then he might find himself one day going far backwards, when he could’ve just maintain some muscle mass and strength while recuperating.

Here’s an example of one of my two leg workouts per week or once every four to five days. It involves a lot of pre-exhaust to keep the load light on “bigger exercises”
Warmup: Five minutes of jump rope or the elliptical, foam rolling, stretching.

1. GHR or Swiss Bar leg curls 3 x AMRAP
  2. Single leg RDL’s
  3. Split squat with dumbbells 3 x 8-15
  4. Goblet squats 2-3 x 20
  5. Pull-throughs 2-3 x 20
  6. Calf raises x 3 x 15-20
  7. Ab wheel 3 x AMRAP

Nope, certainly not a 5/3/1 leg workout but it allows me to train my legs with my injuries til they get better and maintain strength and muscle mass.

Please check the article by John Rusin on training with back pain.

You really should stay away from heavy overhead lifting, bent over rows, standard deadlifts, leg press, and situps while your back gets better. And as I said, get it checked out! Sometimes major back problems remain “silent” while they’re brewing, and then you’re left with some serious symptoms or dysfunction.

With that said, and this might come across as rude, I think my advice will fall on deaf ears generally (not just by you) So you can take what you want from someone who suffered with a real problem or continue to go on as you are.

1 Like

Thanks for your input,i definately need to change the way i look at training for a few years to get myself back on track