anyone powerlifting not westside?

PTP, Sheiko, Smolov?

more modern stuff?

I want to hear about it…

Yes.

I train my own way.

There’s something other than westside? Just Kidding :slight_smile:

WHile I fell Westside is a great training style it is definately not the be all end all trining style, but be very carefull with that russian shit it is insane and can set you way back before your body will adapt to the volume, I train Instenctive Westsdie I let my body and the day guide my training…Big Martin

Cybernetix all the way

Body for Life baby!!!

"Yes.

I train my own way."

So do I. Thats the beauty of conjugate periodization.

goldberg, dont be a smart ass. you train 4 days a week, one ME upper body one ME lower body, one DE for each, maybe some recovery/GPP, you take your ME moves to near failure etc

means you train westside.

“instinctive”. instinctive training was termed by lasy folks who cannot plan ahead. that’s what world champions are saying, not me. show me a track&field athlete or an O-lifting champion who trains “instinctively” and what do you mean by “instinctive”? do you train 5 times ME squat in a row if you fill like it? no. you have freedom inside a predefined system.

conjugate? you can train 16 times a week , training all your body and DE and ME in every workout and still be training conjugate.

all the other folks who said body for life - good call.

I train Renegade style, with the view of possibly competing in both strongman and powerlifting. But even if I never compete, I want to be as thick and powerful as possible, while maintaining flexibility, agility and endurance.

In faith,
Matt

what do you mean by renegade style? I’m not that familiar with coach D’s powerlifting program.

Coach D has plenty of specific programs available. I asked him for one for Powerlifting/Strongman and he obliged.

It is quite different than other PL programs I have seen. There is day each week sort of geared towards each of the big 3 lifts, but there is also a lot of cross over to other days and a lot of O-lifts as well. Plus close to 1/2 hour of weighted GPP on most days.

Since it this is not a published article, but a specific program, I won’t get into too many specifics. You can order it through his site or email Coach and for more info.

In faith,
Matt

Training one’s own way is not the beauty of conjugate periodization. I would argue it’s beauty is derived from the pursuit of multiple training targets at once.

Here Glute-spanker, I wrote about Instinctive training once before in westside 3 so here is the copy…Steve brings up a really good point. No matter what Goldberg, Steve, me, or any one else tells you on this thread you must remember what I beleive is the golden rule of this game “FIND WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU”…What helped me learn to use a bench shirt was completely diffirent than what Steve used, but we each found a way to get the job done. We are all diffirent have diffirent bodys, structures, motor units, ect so what may work for Chuck Vogepol may not work for me. All I can tell each and every one of you is what works for me. I use the Westside style of training and I would say my training is conjugate, but if you were to ask me what kind of training I use I wouldnt say Westside, or the conjugate method, I would say I train by instinct. Instenctive method. There are so many things that I have found work for me that dont work for others, and then there are things others use that I get nothing out of such as floor presses. What I mean by instenctive is this there are days when you wake up and you say damn this is going to be a great day to train I fell great, my mind fells great, my body fells great, So why not get the most out of this day as you can? If I had planned my workout for this day earlier than I would hold myself back, Or if I planned my dynamic squat day around percents well today I am better than those percents so lets get a little more out of myself today. Then there are days when you fell like dog shit, if your body is telling you to work up to a heavy triple and quit then damit on this day listen to your body and work up to a heavy triple and move on. I have been doing this for a few years now and the main key I have found is find your training personality, Find what works for you and dont be affraid to try anything. Sometimes the extreme or stupid may be you key to your next PR…Big Martin…By the way I was taught this by Rocky Tilson Coach of Ron Palmer, Who Arnold Swarzeneger called the king of powerlifing at the WPO finals last year ater he became the lightest man ever to total 2000, he squated 800 at 165 so I would tell your buddies to watch who they call lazy, thre are more than one way to skin acat…Big MArtin

Renegade Powerlifting. Same as what Matt is doing, only he is a few levels ahead of me.

It has similarities to Westside, but it is distinctly Renegade.

you can call it waht you want. you are training westside. it maybe a form of westside suited to you but it still is westside.

end of story.

nobody’s badmouthing listening to one’s body. but saying everything’s “instinctive” is a load of crap. how can you find whats good for you if you dont PLAN on doing that?

S-man

Glute-

It seems as though your definition of training Westside is pretty broad. If I took the Renegade bodybuilding program from T-Mag and tweaked it, would I be training Renegade or not? How about if I took Anti-Bodybuilding as a template and came up with my own workout based on the general principles therein? Is it a Waterbury program or a McClinch program at that point? The point Goldberg and Big Martin are trying to make is that they’re training on completely individualized programs that are rooted in Westside principles. When I was bodybuilding, I wouldn’t have called my program Arnold-method, Draper-method, or (God forbid) Weider-method, even though I was taking principles from all these sources.

I also do some things westside doesnt do. I stretch more than they do. I do more vertical pulling than they do. I sometimes set my dynamic days and max effort days up different than they do. its not worth argueing about. there is no westside routine. what everybody does is different. I train way differently than steve. check out our logs. he does way more work than i do.

The beauty of conjugate is the individuallity built into it. You can chose to bring up anything you want while still maintaining your other abilities.

Chriss: depends how mush youre tweaking it…

I’m talking about schools of thought, not set/rep schemes. smolov/westside/renegade are good example. you can tell if something is derived from westside or from renegade.

Glute:

Part of what I’m driving at is that Westside isn’t all that different from a lot of other ways of training. There are an awful lot of smart people out there advocating training movements or body parts twice a week, alternating between heavy and lighter days, employing multiple sets of light weights for your core movements, and working on your weak points after you do your core work. I had arrived at something similar before ever reading up on Westside, as a result of trial and error and extensive reading. No, this approach isn’t full-on Westside, but there are more similarities than differences there.

I don’t think things are as cut-and-dried as being able to say that people who train according to a split that resembles Westside are necessarily training Westside-style. Really, Goldberg’s and Big Martin’s responses don’t strike me as smart-assed or disingenuous in the slightest. Their programs are clearly Westside-influenced, but I’m sure both could point out places where they diverge from what the lifters at Westside would do.