T Nation

Anyone Play WOW and Not Turn Into Fat Arse?

Hee hee…

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536605_509995065704404_878796326_n.jpg

I play LoL and get rippd.

LOL the exact same shit happened to me a few years back…

I thank god I was able to break that addiction.

And yes, it IS and Addiction.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
I play LoL and get rippd.[/quote]

All LoL does is make me rage. yet I still play it. Wat am i doign wief my lyfe.

Whats the difference between getting addicted to an MMO and any other platform based game? It seems to me that MMOS are far more pervasive with escapism due to the vast content it has… I play PS3 and what not but always try and monitor when my behaviors turn from fun just platforming to that easy to trigger dopamine chasing carrot, teeth gritting, gotta get to x,y,z that happens chasing the next mission/objective/achievement, FYI watch yourself play and see if you can watch when it happens. It can happen far more then you care to take notice.

Anyways other then that everything in moderation seems to be the theme in life lol

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
Whats the difference between getting addicted to an MMO and any other platform based game? It seems to me that MMOS are far more pervasive with escapism due to the vast content it has… I play PS3 and what not but always try and monitor when my behaviors turn from fun just platforming to that easy to trigger dopamine chasing carrot, teeth gritting, gotta get to x,y,z that happens chasing the next mission/objective/achievement, FYI watch yourself cause it may happen far more then you care to take notice…

Anyways other then that everything in moderation seems to be the theme in life lol [/quote]

There’s entirely too much to do in WoW and likewise MMO’s for any person to ever really get bored of it. I mean the quests and levelling to new areas, which are overwhelmingly abundant, is what one would most likely see to be the core aspect of gameplay, but even aside of that there are countless side-quests, repeat quests, faction quests etc. The expansiveness comes in that all divisions have sub-divisions, and most of the sub-divisions have sub-sub-divisions that grow outward exponentially until you’re at a point where all the bases are covered.

To me it always lost it’s flavour towards the late game, as I assume it does with everyone. Things start to slow considerably and a casual experience starts to become a ‘job’ where the focus shifts more to things like raiding non-stop for slightly better equipment and min-maxing PvP DPS. It’s there that the real threat of addiction starts to rear it’s ugly head and you end up going through the motions of just making inert tweaks over and over.

Even when you reach a level end point, you’re still tasked with taking on raids and PvP tournaments, there is no defined end and that’s the predominant reason I was so held in by it. Not to mention starting the whole cycle again with a different class once you realise you could do way more damage over time with a necromancer than you can a paladin. It’s soul-wrenching, the only way I got out of it was to sell away my account and not have any further information on it.

• Confessions of a Former Level 70 Blood Elf Paladin in The Burning Crusade expansion, back when that was a thing.

Honestly never saw the appeal, was boring as fuck when I tried it.

Poured a disgusting amount of hours into dark souls tho

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
There’s entirely too much to do in WoW and likewise MMO’s for any person to ever really get bored of it.[/quote]
Not quite lol. If you play it long enough, you’ll get bored of everything. I played it for years off and on before becoming tired of all of it. I never considered it an addiction either. Look up a picture of a meth addict and tell me WoW is an “addiction” lol.

Anyway, by far the most I played it was in college, which is the only time in my life I ever actually had a full 6-pack. Ironically, I became fatter after I stopped playing WoW lol. Obviously it had nothing to do with the game itself, but just thought it was funny. I never got actually fat of course, just a bit softer. But I’m a lot bigger and stronger than I was in college.

I’ve played WoW and a shit load of other video games over the years, and I still play tons of them. I’ve never ceased making strength gains whilst engaging in such a lifestyle, and I’ve never gotten fat.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
Whats the difference between getting addicted to an MMO and any other platform based game? It seems to me that MMOS are far more pervasive with escapism due to the vast content it has… I play PS3 and what not but always try and monitor when my behaviors turn from fun just platforming to that easy to trigger dopamine chasing carrot, teeth gritting, gotta get to x,y,z that happens chasing the next mission/objective/achievement, FYI watch yourself cause it may happen far more then you care to take notice…

Anyways other then that everything in moderation seems to be the theme in life lol [/quote]

There’s entirely too much to do in WoW and likewise MMO’s for any person to ever really get bored of it. I mean the quests and levelling to new areas, which are overwhelmingly abundant, is what one would most likely see to be the core aspect of gameplay, but even aside of that there are countless side-quests, repeat quests, faction quests etc. The expansiveness comes in that all divisions have sub-divisions, and most of the sub-divisions have sub-sub-divisions that grow outward exponentially until you’re at a point where all the bases are covered.

To me it always lost it’s flavour towards the late game, as I assume it does with everyone. Things start to slow considerably and a casual experience starts to become a ‘job’ where the focus shifts more to things like raiding non-stop for slightly better equipment and min-maxing PvP DPS. It’s there that the real threat of addiction starts to rear it’s ugly head and you end up going through the motions of just making inert tweaks over and over. Even when you reach a level end point, you’re still tasked with taking on raids and PvP tournaments, there is no defined end and that’s the predominant reason I was so held in by it. Not to mention starting the whole cycle again with a different class once you realise you could do way more damage over time with a necromancer than you can a paladin. It’s soul-wrenching, the only way I got out of it was to sell away my account and not have any further information on it.

• Confessions of a Former Level 70 Blood Elf Paladin in The Burning Crusade expansion, back when that was a thing.[/quote]

like 4 or 5 years back I tried playing WOW from a friend… I could see how it happens to people but to me it was too much just point and click and got tired of it after like level 20 lol, idk I just get kind of strained looking at computer screens too long anyways… Usually I can’t play video games too long without some sort of headache or migraine… Anyways yeah basically some of that crap is like instant servings of emotional numbing, dopamine absurdity crack for certain brain structures, personalities, pre depositions etc…

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
There’s entirely too much to do in WoW and likewise MMO’s for any person to ever really get bored of it.[/quote]
Not quite lol. If you play it long enough, you’ll get bored of everything. I played it for years off and on before becoming tired of all of it. I never considered it an addiction either. Look up a picture of a meth addict and tell me WoW is an “addiction” lol.[/quote]

Yeah I guess that was badly phrased, I mean it less in a sense of actually still being entertained, and more in an obsession with bettering the character. Where at a point I’m like “Well shit, I already got myself this far, why should I stop now?” in a never ending cycle of intermittent continuity and despair.

It gets very monotonous, incredibly so, I remember grinding for hours on end in one area of the Night Elf continent that was filled with dream-like mobs and it was a dark purple swamp, I’m sure you could ride on manta rays there either as a mount or transport, I’ll be damned if I can remember the name now. My only vivid memory is spending whole days there practicing turn orders so I could deal the most damage in the shortest amount of seconds; and it was hell.

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

like 4 or 5 years back I tried playing WOW from a friend… I could see how it happens to people but to me it was too much just point and click and got tired of it after like level 20 lol, idk I just get kind of strained looking at computer screens too long anyways… Usually I can’t play video games too long without some sort of headache or migraine… Anyways yeah basically some of that crap is like instant servings of emotional numbing, dopamine absurdity crack for certain brain structures, personalities, pre depositions etc…
[/quote]

You’re lucky, very lucky. I’ve always been pulled in by the internet and it’s devilish, sneaky wonders. At the time it was all I had, I resented it but I could not leave it alone. I can play video games to the point where I will lose sight of what day it is, I will forget that I’m hungry, and will have missed entire sun cycles and distinct changes in my environment’s lighting. MMO’s and Dark Souls were my two main oppressors, if you get sucked in deep enough it is very, very hard to leave.

Just a thought, but don’t you think someone just took someone’s progress pics, reversed the order of the pics while leaving or making up the dates, and slapping a WoW banner across the top?

Would someone who had achieved that level of development really take progress pics of his own decline like that?

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Just a thought, but don’t you think someone just took someone’s progress pics, reversed the order of the pics while leaving or making up the dates, and slapping a WoW banner across the top?

Would someone who had achieved that level of development really take progress pics of his own decline like that? [/quote]
I think the OP knows that the pic is just a reversed transformation pic with WoW plastered in the background just like you said (hopefully he does at least lol). I imagine he was just using it for effect.

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

To me it always lost it’s flavour towards the late game, as I assume it does with everyone. Things start to slow considerably and a casual experience starts to become a ‘job’ where the focus shifts more to things like raiding non-stop for slightly better equipment and min-maxing PvP DPS. It’s there that the real threat of addiction starts to rear it’s ugly head and you end up going through the motions of just making inert tweaks over and over. Even when you reach a level end point, you’re still tasked with taking on raids and PvP tournaments, there is no defined end and that’s the predominant reason I was so held in by it. Not to mention starting the whole cycle again with a different class once you realise you could do way more damage over time with a necromancer than you can a paladin. It’s soul-wrenching, the only way I got out of it was to sell away my account and not have any further information on it.

• Confessions of a Former Level 70 Blood Elf Paladin in The Burning Crusade expansion, back when that was a thing.[/quote]

[/quote]

Look into a pair of Gunnar Optiks gaming/computer glasses. It sounds like a gimmick but after experiencing the headache/eye strain from hours of FIFA, Battlefield 3 and SWTOR, I had to give them a shot. Night and day difference, well worth the cost.

Any dota 2 players here?

I have played video games quite a lot for years, I don’t think it affects my gains

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
LOL the exact same shit happened to me a few years back…

I thank god I was able to break that addiction.

And yes, it IS and Addiction.[/quote]

I wasted a good portion of my life playing competitive CS.

Talk about a horrible addiction.

Still like video games, but just play them as a minor hobby when I have some down time.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

Would someone who had achieved that level of development really take progress pics of his own decline like that? [/quote]
I think the OP knows that the pic is just a reversed transformation pic with WoW plastered in the background just like you said (hopefully he does at least lol). I imagine he was just using it for effect.[/quote]

Now I feel kind of dumb for pointing out what has probably been totally obvious to everyone.

Also I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

I think the OP knows that the pic is just a reversed transformation pic with WoW plastered in the background just like you said (hopefully he does at least lol). I imagine he was just using it for effect.[/quote]

Now I feel kind of dumb for pointing out what has probably been totally obvious to everyone.

Also I have no idea what anyone is talking about. [/quote]
Lol, na. I strongly considered posting the exact same thing you did, but in the end I simply had to assume the OP wasn’t THAT gullible.

Dind’t play WOW but I loved loved GuildWars 6 or 7 years ago. Every single minute of it. It could really get addictive and time consuming with all the new character pampering, the levelling up, the questing, the missions, the mesmerising landscapes, the ever so frustrating search for skills that’d make you indomitable, the PVP, the new character creation in another profession or, the PVP only character… fuck me! I’m already feeling exhausted recounting this but damn, I never got fat. I had a life.

2 to 3 hours every other day was all good for me. I’d also join my guild for a couple of hours in some badass PVP at the weekends. I even had a timer to let me know gaming time was up. Don’t do that or you’re fucking screwed; those games can get so immersive, it is so easy to lose your sense of time. I’ve still got the timer on when I play other games nowadays. There was no way I’d get fat or emotionally recluse over some MMORPG. I’ve seen the effects on some of my friends who were hardcore MMORP gamers. Wasn’t a beautiful sight.

Video gaming is fun, relaxing and many, myself included, see it as a mean to temporarily escape reality and, chillax. In the end, however, it It all comes down to knowing what your priorities are and when to to stop procrastinating. Those who can’t get that, get fucking fat, impotent and jobless.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
In the end, however, it It all comes down to knowing what your priorities are and when to to stop procrastinating. Those who can’t get that, get fucking fat, impotent and jobless.[/quote]
This statement is good in pretty much any context, video gaming related or otherwise.