Anyone Play the Piano?

I like this thread because about two weeks ago I decided to learn to play the piano so I rented me a keyboard from a local music shop and have been working on it. I’m definitely not any good yet but I did just start so I’m not complaining.

Got a book at the same time and that’s how I’m learning but I have to admit that I quite like the look of that synesthesia program that was posted. Looks like it might be a fun way to learn.

I used to play brass so I can already read music, though I’m a little out of practice and the chord thing is keeping me working but the background is helpful.

STU

ps. I’m 33.

[quote]Sturat wrote:
I like this thread because about two weeks ago I decided to learn to play the piano so I rented me a keyboard from a local music shop and have been working on it. I’m definitely not any good yet but I did just start so I’m not complaining.

Got a book at the same time and that’s how I’m learning but I have to admit that I quite like the look of that synesthesia program that was posted. Looks like it might be a fun way to learn.

I used to play brass so I can already read music, though I’m a little out of practice and the chord thing is keeping me working but the background is helpful.

STU

ps. I’m 33.[/quote]

Hey man,

Thats cool you already know how to read sheet music - my sheet reading skills stink :slight_smile:

YouTube is your friend - if there’s ever a song that you want to learn, there’s always a good chance that someone has uploaded either a vid of them playing it or if you’re lucky a tutorial as well.
There’s also alot of good piano based lessons as well.

Synthesia is excellent - I highly recommend it.
This is a pretty nifty way of getting midi’s:

• download guitar pro 5
  • head over to ultimateguitar.com
  • find a song that you like - download the guitar pro file, GP5 will automatically open
  • make changes to instruments used etc.
  • save as a midi
  • learn in synthesia

Good luck.

I’m way out of practice when it comes to reading music but it’s coming back pretty quick, i did play brass for a few years afterall. I like the idea of the synthesia it looks awesome so i’ll probably give it a shot. i need to find myself a midi to usb connector first but I think I’ll start looking.

[quote]undecimber wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]undecimber wrote:
Do any T-Nation members play?

I’ve been playing for a little over a year now - trying to teach myself.
I mainly play - try to anyway :slight_smile: movie and game ost’s, new age/contemporary piano (Ludovico Einaudi, Rob Costlow) and metal (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish etc.)

Anyone new or interested in learning some piano check out Synthesia: There was a problem sort of like guitar hero but for piano.

I also have sheet music / midi’s if anyone is up for a trade etc.

[/quote]

I used to play a bit. If you’re into movie and game OST’s, I’m very happy there are people like you. My friend has recently composed the music for the Total War games. It ain’t piano - its full live orchestra, but I was there in the room when he came up with the main theme on his piano. If you give me your email I can send you an example.

I have the forrest gump feather theme somewhere, if you want. Its a nice play. Though I can’t play it enough - you’ll probably be able to given your one year experience.
[/quote]

Your friend composed the music for the Total War games i.e. Total War Shogun 2 that’s aboot to be released - that’s unreal, did he do the music for the rest of the series as well?

Thanks for the Feather Theme offer, I’ve already got it though - my sister plays it consistently. You might like this channel on youtube:

I’ll shoot you a PM with my email, that sample sounds great - thank you.
[/quote]

He did the music for Empire and Napoleon (Total war) using approx 80 piece orchestra. Has never had a music lesson in his life, but is full of musical talent. Btw, I didn’t even see the videos in this thread as I was accessing from another computer. Must listen to all of these now!

I’ll find a good quality version of one or two of the tracks he composed. Some of the music is done by another composer, but I think the main game trailers have his stuff on there.

I’m gonna buy a piano one day (one life goal) and get lessons and play like a beast. One day …