T Nation

Anyone Own a Kindle?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Anyone own an Amazon Kindle? Like it? Hate it? Can I transfer e-books I already have in pdf format to the Kindle? Thanks.[/quote]

For bookworms like me, Kindle is either the greatest invention of all time or the bane of my (very non-productive) existence. Except I don’t have the money to buy one. I messed around with one of my best friend’s dad’s, and it rocked my face. I want one.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I messed around with one of my best friend’s dad’s, and it rocked my face.quote]

?

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. Any more thoughts?

I find the name “Kindle” interestingly odd. It means to set on fire… as in burning books.

Yeah, I’m considering one too. The kindle is supposed to be the best pure reader.

It has no color or touch screen because those make screens more glossy and harder to read. The Amazon guy was even saying that they made it kind of dull looking so it doesn’t detract from the reading experience.

The new kindle is supposed to be smaller, cheaper, with a larger memory and a longer battery life (they claim a month). Supposed to have come out at the end of august.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I find the name “Kindle” interestingly odd. It means to set on fire… as in burning books.
[/quote]

kindle the imagination?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

kindle the imagination?[/quote]

Burn them fuckers, you have a Kindle now, dammit.

I just this past weekend decided that I’m ready. I’ll probably wait for Christmas but I’m yearning pretty strongly so maybe not.

From what I read and experianced actually using all the ereaders (Kindle, Nook and Sony)… I would put the kindle last. The kindle is the fastest of the 3 but it basically ends there. The added features sony and the nook have trump the kindle IMHO (but everyone feels differently) The Sony has access to more free books then the kindle or the nook. The nook software allows you to share books for 15 days at a time and if you like going to the barnes and noble store you can read their e-books for free while in the store to know if you want to buy.

Personally, I ended up with an Ipad and love it. The I-pad with IAnnotate is the best PDF reader, highlighter and modifier out there. I got it just for this feature to make my conducting my literature review a lot easier.

If you have some specific questions let me know.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
From what I read and experianced actually using all the ereaders (Kindle, Nook and Sony)… I would put the kindle last. The kindle is the fastest of the 3 but it basically ends there. The added features sony and the nook have trump the kindle IMHO (but everyone feels differently) The Sony has access to more free books then the kindle or the nook. The nook software allows you to share books for 15 days at a time and if you like going to the barnes and noble store you can read their e-books for free while in the store to know if you want to buy.

Personally, I ended up with an Ipad and love it. The I-pad with IAnnotate is the best PDF reader, highlighter and modifier out there. I got it just for this feature to make my conducting my literature review a lot easier.

If you have some specific questions let me know. [/quote]

Suppose I just want to read lots of books on it. Which would be best?

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

How’s the iPad stack up against all the others on price?

EDIT: Nevermind

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

How’s the iPad stack up against all the others on price? [/quote]

Last place. Waaaay over-price IMO.

I almost did. Someone left one on the cardio machines. I turned it in to one of the trainers. Maybe that trainer owns a kindle now. Reading’s for chumps.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

You can also rent books for free from your library through the Sony.

I have a kindle and like it, but there are some things I prefer in the other ones.