T Nation

Anyone Own a Kindle?

Anyone own an Amazon Kindle? Like it? Hate it? Can I transfer e-books I already have in pdf format to the Kindle? Thanks.

My father owns a Kindle 2 and loves it to death. He reads a lot, so he takes it everywhere and uses it tons. Despite that, he only has to charge it once a week.

I don’t know about your .pdf -> Kindle question.

I have one, and love it. Though I do miss being able to share books, and actually having the book. Yes, you can transfer pdfs, you can do it manually or do it through amazon for 10 cents a file I believe.

I have a tabletpc. Much much better than a Kindle for the way I read books.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
leaftye wrote:

Please elaborate; I like the sound of the kindle and want to know what style of reading makes your device better for you, thanks.

BBB[/quote]

I’d think that the kindle is more portable and definitely has a longer battery life. Worth every penny in my mind.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I have one, and love it. Though I do miss being able to share books, and actually having the book. Yes, you can transfer pdfs, you can do it manually or do it through amazon for 10 cents a file I believe.[/quote]

Is it difficult to do manually? Does it have to be converted in some way that would make people not want to do it themselves?

leaftye wrote:

Please elaborate; I like the sound of the kindle and want to know what style of reading makes your device better for you, thanks.

BBB[/quote]

I’m curious, too.

As far as a portable reader, it seems the kindle would beat a tablet pc in every way – price, potability, battery life, reading screen, etc. Am I missing something?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
I have one, and love it. Though I do miss being able to share books, and actually having the book. Yes, you can transfer pdfs, you can do it manually or do it through amazon for 10 cents a file I believe.

Is it difficult to do manually? Does it have to be converted in some way that would make people not want to do it themselves?[/quote]

http://www.cottontimer.com/2008/05/06/how-to-convert-pdf-files-to-read-on-the-amazon-kindle/

It’s about 8 steps, so not too complicated. You do have to download something though.

Kindle is proprietary to Amazon, which may be a drawback for some. Don’t forget Sony has a new ereader too, and it plays mp3 which may be cool for audio books.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Kindle is proprietary to Amazon, which may be a drawback for some. Don’t forget Sony has a new ereader too, and it plays mp3 which may be cool for audio books. [/quote]

Not to be an amazon whore, but so does the kindle. Though its audio book player isn’t the best.

I have had one for over a year and I’m dedicated to it. I read the Wall Street Journal on it (subscription through Amazon on the Kindle is cheaper than the regular subscription). I also love ordering books and having them magically appear in a few minutes. Font size is changeable. Feels like a book in your hands. Print looks like real print. It is a very cleverly designed device, and although Amazon refuses to divulge sales statistics, it must be doing very well for them to have released a new version of the thing only a year after its initial debut (I have the old model, but I’m quite happy with it for now).

leaftye wrote:

BBB[/quote]

Used prices for tabletpc’s are just as cheap as Kindle’s.
Color screen.
More resolution.
No hassles with images or text reflowing.
I get 10+ hours of battery life, although I admit that’s not typical of most tablets.
The book format is not proprietary.
I scan my own books. I’ve actually made a net profit off of my textbooks and I don’t sell pirated scans.
I can write and highlight my books. This really helps me digest what I’m reading.
There are already tons of free legal ebooks out there in pdf, txt and other formats. There’s a bunch of “free” ebooks out there too…

Is a tabletpc heavier than a Kindle? Sure, but with it I don’t need physical textbooks, binders, notepads, pens, highlighters, etc. Also, I wouldn’t complain about having to hold an extra pound or two on a bodybuilding website…I wouldn’t want to propagate the idea that bodybuilders aren’t strong.

While I probably would not have purchased a tabletpc just to read novels, it’s by far the best thing I could’ve done for myself as a premed (ie, actually studies) student that rides a motorcycle and lifts at school.

[quote]leaftye wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
leaftye wrote:

BBB

Used prices for tabletpc’s are just as cheap as Kindle’s.
Color screen.
More resolution.
No hassles with images or text reflowing.
I get 10+ hours of battery life, although I admit that’s not typical of most tablets.
The book format is not proprietary.
I scan my own books. I’ve actually made a net profit off of my textbooks and I don’t sell pirated scans.
I can write and highlight my books. This really helps me digest what I’m reading.
There are already tons of free legal ebooks out there in pdf, txt and other formats. There’s a bunch of “free” ebooks out there too…

Is a tabletpc heavier than a Kindle? Sure, but with it I don’t need physical textbooks, binders, notepads, pens, highlighters, etc. Also, I wouldn’t complain about having to hold an extra pound or two on a bodybuilding website…I wouldn’t want to propagate the idea that bodybuilders aren’t strong.

While I probably would not have purchased a tabletpc just to read novels, it’s by far the best thing I could’ve done for myself as a premed (ie, actually studies) student that rides a motorcycle and lifts at school.[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense. If I had to take notes on things, a kindle would not be my first choice.

I have a Kindle. I love the Kindle. I have a lot of comic books on it, as well as novels.

I do want to say, this, however, and it’s a general statement, not specific to the OP: as a published author who relies on book sales to put food on the table, please don’t pirate the books you want. Amazon sells bestsellers and new releases for a measly $9.99. While authors are making good sales on the ebooks right now because of how the royalties for ebooks are currently being issued, the instance of piracy has increased, and unlike movies and music, it is much harder for a published author to make up the financial loss when a book is pirated.

I can’t hold a concert where I sell tickers for hundreds of dollars.
I can’t offer the chance to read my book on a mega-sized screen.

I just say this because it is so tempting to download a PDF rip of the book instead of paying it–I see it happening more and more, and it depresses me.

That is all.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
I have a Kindle. I love the Kindle. I have a lot of comic books on it, as well as novels.

I do want to say, this, however, and it’s a general statement, not specific to the OP: as a published author who relies on book sales to put food on the table, please don’t pirate the books you want. Amazon sells bestsellers and new releases for a measly $9.99. While authors are making good sales on the ebooks right now because of how the royalties for ebooks are currently being issued, the instance of piracy has increased, and unlike movies and music, it is much harder for a published author to make up the financial loss when a book is pirated.

I just say this because it is so tempting to download a PDF rip of the book instead of paying it–I see it happening more and more, and it depresses me.

That is all.[/quote]

The kindle supports comics?

The only main problem with tablet PCs is that they do not read as softly as the Kindle screens.

Essentially, the Kindle screen is designed to replicate paper, because it’s far easier on your eyes to stare at for long periods. Standard LCD screens are more difficult to read because they have to be bright to properly illuminate the screen.

This is reflected in news; if you read a story online, you’ll find that it’s often divided into short chunks of one or two sentences so that the reader can read it more easily. The same story in print, however, would feature much larger paragraphs.

I’ll agree with you there. I’m personally okay with reading the lcd screen, but I’m anxiously waiting for oled screens that don’t need backlighting to look good, and in fact get “brighter” with more ambient light…assuming glare is kept in check of course.

I don’t buy your relation to how news is split up. I believe that’s more a limitation of screen resolution than anything else. If standard pixel density and resolution is ever able to match print, I believe there will be virtually no difference in how publications are laid out.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:

That is all.[/quote]

I agree with you for the most part. What I do a lot of the time is pirate a copy of something I want to read. If I like it when I’m done with it, I actually go and buy it properly so I can add it to my library in perfect format.

What bugs me though is paying for some of the classics. Why should anyone make any money off of me buying Shakespeare? Plato?

For what it’s worth.

A few precisions:

• The Kindle, as well as other so-called e-readers, uses an electrophoretic screen.

That’s essentially as soft on the eyes as paper.

• OLED screens are a collection of tiny organic LEDs. They emit light (as opposed to e-reader which just reflect whatever you throw at it). They are not suitable for replacing paper as far as reading confort goes.

• If you want a better device than the Kindle, go with the Cybook. It’s not locked down as proprietary Amazon crap. In fact, it runs Linux and integrate seamlessly

http://www.bookeen.com/ebook/ebook-reading-device.aspx