ANYONE? Old School Bodybuilding?

Got Darden’s book…Old School Bodybuilding. Anyone training like this? I was thinking of trying it out…going from high volume to (really) low volume. I was wondering what people’s experiances with it were.

Thanks…

cannon

[quote]DogBiteCat wrote:
Got Darden’s book…Old School Bodybuilding. Anyone training like this? I was thinking of trying it out…going from high volume to (really) low volume. I was wondering what people’s experiances with it were.

Thanks…

cannon[/quote]

You may have your eyes opened by realizing how hard you haven’t been training and also by how little work can bring results.

I’m much more sympathetic than a lot of guys having had fabulous success with HIT principles. Beyond failure, low volume, low frequency.

On the other hand it doesn’t work at all for some people and should be cycled in and out of in most cases anyway.

The good think about HIT is it usually doesn’t take long to realize how you’re going to respond. A few workouts will bring noticeable results.

If not it’s not for you, but in my opinion most people will have surprising success for at least a few months before a change is needed.

I still use HIT principles regularly.

One thing. be prepared initially for soreness like you never dreamed of, especially if you haven’t been training that hard.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
DogBiteCat wrote:

Thanks…

cannon

You may have your eyes opened by realizing how hard you haven’t been training and also by how little work can bring results.

I’m much more sympathetic than a lot of guys having had fabulous success with HIT principles. Beyond failure, low volume, low frequency.

On the other hand it doesn’t work at all for some people and should be cycled in and out of in most cases anyway.

The good think about HIT is it usually doesn’t take long to realize how you’re going to respond. A few workouts will bring noticeable results.

If not it’s not for you, but in my opinion most people will have surprising success for at least a few months before a change is needed.

I still use HIT principles regularly.

One thing. be prepared initially for soreness like you never dreamed of, especially if you haven’t been training that hard.[/quote]

I agree with everything, but one word…
I believe a great way to progress is by high intensity(to or beyond failure), low volume, BUT HIGH FREQUENCY.

Can you describe your current program?
Have you ever trained low volume/high intensity style in the past?

[quote]guaglione wrote:
<<< I agree with everything, but one word…
I believe a great way to progress is by high intensity(to or beyond failure), low volume, BUT HIGH FREQUENCY.

Can you describe your current program?
Have you ever trained low volume/high intensity style in the past?

[/quote]

I don’t respond well to high frequency, especially with high intensity. Never did. That’s not to say you or somebody else can’t, but it’s tough pushing that hard too often. CNS burnout, inhibited recovery etc.

I have my own way of doing things that includes HIT principles, but isn’t properly HIT.

I’m also now 43 years old and no spring chicken anymore. I’ve toyed with different stuff and may still, but I wind up back at hitting each group directly in kamikaze like fashion once in 7 days with some supplemental work for lagging parts thrown in here and there. Actually my present volume would be considered moderate.

That works for me very well.

I will say this as well. Dr. Darden has been in this game longer than most people here have been alive and it bothers me how he gets treated when he comes here. There is real value in his enormous view of this discipline.

Nobody has all the answers, including him, but I really believe a lot of guys are missing out on some great tools by viewing him as an old time hype monger who’s outlived his usefulness. Not so.

Bump…

But really, after 2 “HIT style” (I honestly shudder to even say that) I’m liking it. Not because it’s soon enough to see any results, but I like the mentality of having a small amount to really focus and destroy. I really WASTED my muscles in just minimal sets (I did 2 sets, 1 exercise/body part, full body).

The intensity is hard to beat…now let’s see about the gains.

Anyone else “feelin” it?

cannon

After years of SVT, I switched to H.I.T style training about 6 months ago, after reading Darden’s New H.I.T training book.

Works great for me. But I always responded best to heavier weights and lower volume. Even on a split I only trained each bodypart once a week.

Now I do one full body H.I.T workout early in the week and a dedicated arms and shoulder day a few days later - been working like a charm. I’ve put on some nice mass lately and increased arm measurements by about an inch - also put an inch on my calves…

Again, it doesn’t work for everyone, and there are many valid training approaches, but Darden knows what he’s talking about, and as mentioned has been around the game a long, long time.