Anyone Know About Acoustic Guitars?

he just shreds too much! Obviously he’s one of the best guitarists on the planet right now, but there’s no love in his solos.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
he just shreds too much! Obviously he’s one of the best guitarists on the planet right now, but there’s no love in his solos. [/quote]

Here’s the opposite of what you just described - in case you didn’t know Warren Mendonsa yet.

^^^ some nice guitar work on that track. Not so fond of the actual tune, but the dude can play!

GUITAR UPDATE

So, having gotten a quote for the resale price of the guitars I already own, it’s looking like I can push the boat out a little further in terms of what I purchase.

The current frontrunners are:

-Martin D18 (or D28)
-Gibson Hummingbird
-Gibson Dove

Shit just got real. All three are beautiful. The Martin’s not as pretty as the Gibsons, but I love that tone. Seriously, though, how pretty are those Gibsons?

Again, it’s all purely academic until I actually play them…

Those are beautiful. Never heard of a Dove before. I think I like it even more than the Hummingbird.

Tough decisions are ahead of you.

[quote]LiftingStrumpet wrote:

Those are beautiful. Never heard of a Dove before. I think I like it even more than the Hummingbird.

Tough decisions are ahead of you.
[/quote]

I know! The Dove doesn’t seem to have the rep that the Hummingbird does (people really seem to get excited about Hummingbirds) but it’s a beautiful looking guitar.

Deep down, I really want to like the sound of the Dove best because it’s my favourite looking out of the three! I’d never pick a guitar based on looks, but sure would like a pretty one

For those of you that might be interested:

Well, surprises were in store. My fears that the Gibsons would be too “boomy” and the Martin would be perfect turned out to be completely incorrect. It was actually the total opposite.

The Martins kicked out SO MUCH volume, during heavy strumming the highs all but disappeared. So much bass! The Gibson had a much more balanced tone, way more mids, and much better separation between the notes.

I ended up going for a Gibson Hummingbird. It’s rosewood (not the usual mahogany), which, as I discovered today, is by far the correct tonewood for my purposes. The ‘hog’ hummingbird I tried just didn’t have the same mojo.

The Martin D28 was a PHENOMENAL guitar, though. If I were predominantly a fingerpicker, or a guitarist sans vocal, it’d have been by far the superior choice. Even if I weren’t such a heavy strummer (I have a BIG voice and fairly kick the shit out of my instruments when I’m in the zone) it’d have probably been right for me, but as it stands the Gibson won the day.

Congrats. Sounds like you ended up with a beautiful guitar that suits your musical style.