T Nation

Anyone Juice?

ya know veggies/fruits?

might look into getting one. Any recommendations?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
ya know veggies/fruits?

might look into getting one. Any recommendations?[/quote]

Only one I’ve used was the jack lalanne power juicer. It works well if you’re not planning on juicing a large amount of fruit/veggies. Otherwise it can be a bitch to clean up. That being said, I have never tasted a more delicious apple juice than when I made it myself. Simply incredible. Word of warning though, it’s not like the commercials.

You can’t add a bunch of brocoli and cucumbers and a single slice of orange and have it taste like Floridas Natural. There isn’t much that can mask the taste of a cucumber…it’s intense. If I was to pick, I’d juice the fruits only. Just eat the veggies.

I used to juice first thing in the morning. I stopped though because it was too much trouble… cleaning all that gunk up is just way too annoying for me, lol.

I’ve been wanting to get one of those fast smaller blenders that you take with you…one thats the size of a big coffee cup so cleanup is just washing the inside…like you would any other glass.

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
I’ve been wanting to get one of those fast smaller blenders that you take with you…one thats the size of a big coffee cup so cleanup is just washing the inside…like you would any other glass.[/quote]

Magic Bullet? Those are awesome for shakes.

[quote]Siouxfan wrote:
Only one I’ve used was the jack lalanne power juicer. It works well if you’re not planning on juicing a large amount of fruit/veggies. Otherwise it can be a bitch to clean up.[/quote]
Ha, this is almost exactly what I was going to say.

I have the Jack LaLanne power juicer also. It does a great job, but after the first month or so of enthusiastic and frequent use, the clean-up just became such a chore it was discouraging. The disassembly and hand-washing parts afterwards was the main issue. Does that make me lazy? Meh, probably.

But the juice is/was awesome, just be sure not to underestimate how much fruit it takes to make some decent-sized servings. I never got around to cooking or baking with the leftover pulp, but I’ve heard it’s very useful for breads and such.

Yeah, I hear cleanup times on models can vary.

I’m not a big veggie consumer and would like to increase it, figured this could be a way.

If you can stomach it you can pound a pure veggie juice. I have a big sweet tooth though and wasn’t a fan of it. Like I mentioned though, the apple juice was amazing.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
I used to juice first thing in the morning. I stopped though because it was too much trouble… cleaning all that gunk up is just way too annoying for me, lol.[/quote]

Truth ^ I still do it 4-5 times a week. Carrots,celery,apples,ginger,beets,lime or lemon usually.

Vegtable juice sounds pretty sick imo.

Like vomiting going to the hospital type sick.

Brocoli is probably my favorite vegtable , its really the texture and crunchiness i like most .

Eating solid veg seems much more palatable than drinking sick vomit juice.

The nasty taste of vegtables is offset by thier moist crunchyness and varied range of textures.

[quote]Siouxfan wrote:
If I was to pick, I’d juice the fruits only. Just eat the veggies… [/quote]

…and I would do the opposite. Juice the veggies and eat the fruit. Why would you want all that fructose while taking out the fibre. Thats like making fruits bad.

I have a juicer and have used it maybe 3 times. Like everyone else I have found it a pain to clean up. Too much mess.

Beetroot, carrot, cellulary and apple was my favourite combo. I called it “bird juice”.

tweet

no, it’s good. YOu just mask it with some fruit.

what I normally juiced was something like a bunch of broccoli, some spinach, apple or pear, liquid fish oil, or ginger.

Ha I must have been juicing the wrong types of veggies then. The only one I had much experience with was a cucumber. Not too bad on their own. I eat plenty of raw veggies. But man was the cucumber juice nasty.

veggies/fruits in a high powered blender work great. you don’t lose any nutritional value. look into the blendtec or vitamix. you can throw any fruits with 1-2 cups of kale or spinach and you got a greeen smoothie that tastes great.

[quote]Moe Doobie wrote:
veggies/fruits in a high powered blender work great. you don’t lose any nutritional value. look into the blendtec or vitamix. you can throw any fruits with 1-2 cups of kale or spinach and you got a greeen smoothie that tastes great.[/quote]

Yeah I’d check on Craigslist for a used vitamix…you can get them for 200-300 dollars.

Juicing is all well and good, but you get the fiber with a blender AND you need less materials over all…Juicing any decent amount of veggies is going to run you $10-20.

[quote]Siouxfan wrote:

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
I’ve been wanting to get one of those fast smaller blenders that you take with you…one thats the size of a big coffee cup so cleanup is just washing the inside…like you would any other glass.[/quote]

Magic Bullet? Those are awesome for shakes. [/quote]

2nd that + love my shakes
def. a worthwhile investment

[quote]Moe Doobie wrote:
veggies/fruits in a high powered blender work great. you don’t lose any nutritional value. look into the blendtec or vitamix. you can throw any fruits with 1-2 cups of kale or spinach and you got a greeen smoothie that tastes great.[/quote]

Don’t forget if you want to add an iphone or hockey puck you can as well.

[quote]Siouxfan wrote:

[quote]Moe Doobie wrote:
veggies/fruits in a high powered blender work great. you don’t lose any nutritional value. look into the blendtec or vitamix. you can throw any fruits with 1-2 cups of kale or spinach and you got a greeen smoothie that tastes great.[/quote]

Don’t forget if you want to add an iphone or hockey puck you can as well. [/quote]

“Iphone smoke, don’t breath this.”

I have a Greenstar and a Hurom slow Juicer.

The Greenstar is supposed to be one of the best at preserving the enzymes and not overheating the juice via the extraction mechanism (not sure about the proof on that) but it works like a champ, just a bit of a pain to clean and reassemble each time. Hurom is good but doesnt juice things as finely as the Greenstar.

Try some carrot or beetroot and celery mixed with whey protein…mmmmm

Fruit juice = junk food, IMO.

Vegetables are much healthier cooked than raw.

With a Vitamix or even a normal blender, you can add frozen berries to a pro shake.