Anyone here eat sushi?

Hyok-Yeah, I actually own and operate my own English school here, and have a couple other business interests (consulting and so on) as well. I’ve been here for most of the last decade, which has allowed me to pick up the language, even without having the benefit of Korean. But I do know a little about Korean as well, and agree that having one makes picking up the other a lot easier. I was also in the service (Marines), and we had a saying: the only guys who don’t like Asia are the ones who haven’t been there! Bodz- San Luis Obispo is gorgeous; I’m sure you’ll have a great time there once you move. But I’m really impressed: when you said you made your living as a personal trainer, I figured you had to be in LA, SD or some other major metro center, not in the smaller towns around Mid-Cal. Hats off, man, to making it work without the population base!

Wow guys!

If 1 piece of sashimi is equal to 1 oz meaning that 1 piece has 7 g of protein, then how many gram of proteins some of you ingested at once if you eat 30 to 40 pieces of sashimi?

I guess it’s about 210 g of protein, isn’t this too much?

Chris, thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I have done really well. In fact if anyone is interested, I am opening up a private training facility by the end of the year in SLO. I will be looking for guys/girls who want to make a living as personal trainers. I will be stepping down and teaching and supporting my employees.

Johnathan, most guys don’t eat that much. Most only eat 10-12 pieces of sashimi. But, remember what was said earlier, moisture makes up for some of it, so it might only be 5 grams of protein. And yes, you can assimilate up to 100 grams or more of protein. Of course, if your body can’t use it…well, it goes to stored energy…FAT.

Yeh…Sushi is great…I discovered it while living out of the country a couple of years ago. Eat it at least once every two weeks.

Wow, I’m surprised so many of us eat sushi. Around here it’s considered girlie food, and none of my friends eat it. It’s a shame its so freakin expensive! Around here it is anyway. The best and cheapest place near me cost me 16 bucks the other night and I was still hungry afterwards! I’m gonna go broke eating it. I’m gonna make it a once every 2 week thing I think as a treat. I’ll bang them out with the all you can eat again.

Brooklyn, You think $16 is expensive? Man, if I could get sushi for $16, I’d be eating it twice a week. I normally spend $30+ when I eat it. One time out of town, my bill was $80. I usually make it an event. I sit and eat and talk to the chef for at least two hours. Its a running joke at my local place that I’m still there when they are counting the register. We don’t have all you can eat in my town. I tried it once out of town and wasn’t impressed. Everything I wanted wasn’t on the all you can eat menue. Oh, and the boat thing, we have one place here also, but I didn’t care for that either. It felt like McDonalds. If I’m going to pay “those” prices, I want individual service.

To cut down the expenses, try buying some fresh fish at an Asian grocery (make sure it’s from the sashimi section) and make your own. The rice MUST be the short grain type, for genuine flavor, and you also need some rice vinegar. You should be able to find some recipes on the net easily. When you mix the rice and the ingredients together, fan the rice to cool it down quickly so that the grains will be firm. When you make the sushi, the key is to not pack the rice together too hard. The common kind you see with the rice with the fish on top is called “nigiri” and the rolls are “maki”. The “shari” (rice portion of nigiri) should have some space between the rice grains. I learned this firsthand when my friend, who is a sushi chef, let me behind the counter and let me make a few. He cut my sushi in half and showed me how I compressed the rice together so hard that it was more like mochi (Japanese rice cake). Oh well, my mistakes didn’t taste too bad, but it took a lot more chewing. If that is all too much trouble, you can make handrolls (“temaki”). Just spoon some sushi rice onto some seaweed (“nori”) and add some fish. Dip into soy sauce and wasabi and eat. Simple. Good luck.

Hyok, If I make this stuff, I’m just gonna make it with shrimp. Is there a specific shrimp you need to use, and do I need to use special rice?

Brooklyn Mike, if you’re going to use shrimp, you have two choices. You can use raw shrimp, but you have really make sure it is fresh. Or use can cook the shrimp by dropping them in boiling water for three minutes. The rice, you can’t go wrong if you use one of the major brands. Some the of the names that come to mind are: Kokuho Rose, Koshihikari, or even Calrose. Just follow the instructions on the package. For the seasoning, you need some rice vinegar and sugar. I’m not sure of the exact amounts, but I’m sure you can find it on the net. Be sure to cool the rice down quickly as you add the ingredients. After that, it is all just assembly. If there is a good Japanese sushi chef in the restaurant, he would probably give you some tips. Most Japanese are only too glad to help out some gaijin. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips Hyok you definitly are a connoisseur,hey Bodz what is the name of your facility, San Looie is a cool town.

My business name has always been Better Bodies. I may stick with that or go with BODZ. I am leaning toward the latter. Won’t be open till the end of the year. It’ll only be a 5,000 sf facility. One on one training. I opened and operated large facilities for businessmen before, but its not worth the hassle anymore. Time to slow down and have some fun.