T Nation

Anyone Here do Search and Rescue?

Was wondering how many people here do search and rescue as a career or as volunteer work.

I’m currently working on my rock climbing and scuba diving, and hope to add some sky diving in to that skill mix.

What do your training schedules/programs look like?

Would love to hear some feedback about this.

I’m going to Idaho in couple weeks for Wilderness First Responder course. It’s gonna be challenging.

You want to do SAR in Canada? As I understand it the career stuff is handled almost entirely through the Forces here although there are plenty of volunteer opportunities through the Coast Guard and community agencies. Most provide in house training for confined space, wilderness, high angle etc.

SAR Tech in the military is a brutal specialty to get into, but it looks like a pretty kick ass job, IMO.

Dog handling is a precious skill in S&R, a police or military background would help there.

I am looking to join a volunteer SAR. I’ve already started my training. I’d be interested to do DE SAR in the CanForces but you need to remuster after being trade qualified in reg force, so basically after 4 years. I’m just looking to do it civi side.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
You want to do SAR in Canada? As I understand it the career stuff is handled almost entirely through the Forces here although there are plenty of volunteer opportunities through the Coast Guard and community agencies. Most provide in house training for confined space, wilderness, high angle etc.

SAR Tech in the military is a brutal specialty to get into, but it looks like a pretty kick ass job, IMO.[/quote]

If it wasn’t for the fact that you have to have 4 years in reg force+trade qualified, and that you can’t do direct entry anymore, I would try SAR Tech, but that ain’t the case.

I’m looking more at CASARA and other civilian outfits. I’ve always trained in the mindset that I had to kill (military+martial arts) or save people (general conditioning and strength). I’ve also learned skills that I felt fit that mindset, so it feels like SAR is a natural extension of all my training.
I’m really interested in SAR, but I don’t know of any outfit that pays well + direct entry.

Anyway, still gonna give it a shot.

We occasionally have to walk through the woods to find a hunter or some such, does that count?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

SAR Tech in the military is a brutal specialty to get into, but it looks like a pretty kick ass job, IMO.[/quote]

If it wasn’t for the fact that you have to have 4 years in reg force+trade qualified, and that you can’t do direct entry anymore, I would try SAR Tech, but that ain’t the case.

I’m looking more at CASARA and other civilian outfits. I’ve always trained in the mindset that I had to kill (military+martial arts) or save people (general conditioning and strength). I’ve also learned skills that I felt fit that mindset, so it feels like SAR is a natural extension of all my training.
I’m really interested in SAR, but I don’t know of any outfit that pays well + direct entry.

Anyway, still gonna give it a shot.[/quote]

I actually came to the same conclusion about timeframes when I was 21 first looked into SAR Tech. In retrospect 4 years really isn’t as long as I thought it seemed to me at that time, but that’s just me.

I don’t know any of the details, but apparently a lot of the off shore oil drilling companies use civilian contractors for in-house SAR. Don’t know anything about entrance requirements, compensation, actual duties but it may be of interest.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
We occasionally have to walk through the woods to find a hunter or some such, does that count?[/quote]

Were they all blaze’d out?hehe

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Anyway, still gonna give it a shot.[/quote]

I actually came to the same conclusion about timeframes when I was 21 first looked into SAR Tech. In retrospect 4 years really isn’t as long as I thought it seemed to me at that time, but that’s just me.

I don’t know any of the details, but apparently a lot of the off shore oil drilling companies use civilian contractors for in-house SAR. Don’t know anything about entrance requirements, compensation, actual duties but it may be of interest.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I’ve saved five gnomes and a brownie so far