T Nation

Anyone Heard of Wayfairgate?

Has anyone heard of this? Twitter has been blowing it up

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/wayfairgate/

No but I like a good conspiracy theory and that is a doozy. I can’t seem to find any live items with interesting names and sale prices so, sceptical.

1 Like

Lol - some people I follow online get Suckered into every conspiracy theory out there, so I saw it mentioned, but I never actually read what these people ramble on about everyday.

S

Personally, the only conspiracy theories / scandal that I follow and watch on YouTube are about fake weights in videos, like the most recent one from a month ago.

New Fake Weights?

Where? I love these fake weights guys!

On conspiracies: It’s interesting. Almost anything can become a conspiracy once the story teller has your ear and the listener is willing to accept the premise. Once a little seasoning is added and the listener/reader is fully bought in they are then charged with “see for yourself!”. Then with a forum like reddit, once started it can feed itself with a bunch of people finding evidence.

It’s not like the real ones though, like when Gary Coleman was running the heroin trade through the entire northwest. You’ll never hear a word about that, but Holy Moley! That dude pulled a full on Breaking Bad with the fentanyl up there.
:grin:

From roughly a month ago. Very lean and very famous YouTube coach known for his instructional videos.

There are conspiracy theory videos, then videos debunking the conspiracy theory videos, followed by a massive reddit discussion and so on…

Are they also very athletic?

2 Likes

Oh man! :joy:

Fortunately or not, I’ve got a slew of time on my hands to run down this rabbit hole!

1 Like

Vaguely related, but I have a hobby trading (very) minor works of Chagall, Picasso, Leger, and other pre-1970 or so well-known artists. Basically I buy things I like if they are cheap (by trolling estate auctions) and frame them myself professionally. When Mrs. Jewbacca decides I have too many, I slowly sell them, maybe 4 a year. Make a tidy profit. The kind of thing I might keep doing when I retire.

Anyway, I periodically see stuff for sale (and selling) for WAY above market value. Like multiples of 10X too much. This can be explained by irrational buyers, I suppose. Or someone who just needs a certain Madoura to finish off his or her collection.

But it happens with such frequency, and with such poor examples, that I’ve begun to suspect money laundering/selling, probably drugs.

Or maybe people are just stupid.

A Russian joke:

Two Russian oligarchs run into each other in an expensive restaurant.

The first oligarch says to the other “Look at this tie! I paid two thousand for it!”

“You fool” the second one replies “I could have told you where to buy it for five thousand!”

2 Likes

When the iPhone App Store first launched in 2008, there was an app titled ‘I Am Rich’. It sold for $999.99. Four people bought it before it was removed. It could have been a way to launder money or, more likely, it was proving that four people were self-absorbed enough to show they had spent that much on a phone and also a useless app.

IIRC, upon opening, the app had a picture of a gemstone. That’s it.

Wasn’t there a movie where exactly this was happening but with adults? Perhaps celebrities, they were shipped in wooden crates, I believe

Can’t find the original image so use your imagination.

“When the couch from wayfair arrives”

2 Likes