Anyone Have the NYB Squat Box?

Anyone have the new york barbell squat box?

If so, how is it in terms of surface non-slippage and squatting stability?

Is that the one made by TDS?? I think NYBB get most of their equipment off them.

If it is the same one then I’ve used it. I struggled to reach parrallel on it’s lowest setting and I’m 5’10 with relatively short legs… But I do have a fat ass so I dunno.

Anyway other than that I’d have no complaints with it. Good and solid build, nice rubbery top surface.

You are right, the specs say 13 to 16"…

Damn, I might as well go for the EFS box then…

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:

You are right, the specs say 13 to 16"…

Damn, I might as well go for the EFS box then…
[/quote]

Why not just build your own? I know fuck all about building shit with wood, but even a dope like me can build a simple box.

Box squat of any kind.is huge in leg gains.if your new to it use a flat bench.then move to lower and lower.i would say no lower then 15inches.i like to rotate box squats every other week with front squats.try it youll see gains in no time

[quote]SuperBeast74 wrote:
Box squat of any kind.is huge in leg gains.if your new to it use a flat bench.then move to lower and lower.i would say no lower then 15inches.i like to rotate box squats every other week with front squats.try it youll see gains in no time[/quote]

I’m guessing you haven’t seen any of his videos so…

Thank you Hanley for that compliment.

I like the effort you put into your videos as well.

unearth, a cheap wooden crate is exactly what I want to avoid for safety purposes.

But you probably aren’t very strong so you wouldn’t understand.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
unearth, a cheap wooden crate is exactly what I want to avoid for safety purposes.

But you probably aren’t very strong so you wouldn’t understand.
[/quote]

I guess nobody at Westside is very strong either, as they use wooden boxes to box squat.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
[/quote]

Hmmm…

The westside guys use a box made out of wood to do their box squats. Think you can hang with them yet?

If you don’t believe me why don’t you ask Cressey what kind of box the westside guys use.

Yes, if only one day I too could squat a mighty 372 lbs., then I’d be STRONG just like you!

#1: Wooden crates aren’t easily adjustable.
#2: Cheap wooden crates aren’t very stable.
#3: Wooden crates cannot be easily broken down for storage in a locker.

unearth, I would love to see some of your lifts on youtube if you have them. Seems like you are a really strong dude.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
[/quote]

They are quicker to adjust than those “squat boxes” are. With wood boxes, you just add mats or another box to adjust for height instead of fucking around with that little screw down thing and safety pins.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
[/quote]

Bullshit. I don’t know what you consider cheap, but my boxes have had 600+ on them and I built them from scrap wood I had laying around.

The picture shows well over 500lbs on some wood boxes above.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
[/quote]

I’ll concede you that point. No they cannot.

I still think there are a lot better pieces of equipment to spend ~$100 on.

Its only money though…

If you are gonna buy from nybarbells, get it from Susan Patterson at midwestbarbell.com. You will not be sorry. I bought a squat bar from her on Friday and it arrived at my door on Monday.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
tigerak02 wrote:

They are quicker to adjust than those “squat boxes” are. With wood boxes, you just add mats or another box to adjust for height instead of fucking around with that little screw down thing and safety pins.

tigerak02 wrote:

Bullshit. I don’t know what you consider cheap, but my boxes have had 600+ on them and I built them from scrap wood I had laying around.

The picture shows well over 500lbs on some wood boxes above.

tigerak02 wrote:

I’ll concede you that point. No they cannot.

I still think there are a lot better pieces of equipment to spend ~$100 on.

Its only money though…

If you are gonna buy from nybarbells, get it from Susan Patterson at midwestbarbell.com. You will not be sorry. I bought a squat bar from her on Friday and it arrived at my door on Monday.

[/quote]

mattwray, good heads up on that site.

I think I will be ordering from them instead (free domestic shipping).

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
[/quote]

Matt gave a good explanation of the above three.

Hey tiger, I was trying to help save you a bit of cash. If you are determined to buy something expensive then have at it.

I’m not strong and don’t claim to be. I’m a bit long of tooth now and my glory days seem to be far behind me. I still enjoy lifting as much as when I started as a teenage though.

Anyways, here’s a few vids for you to laugh at…

Me squatting 425x8 with no gear:
http://media.putfile.com/425x8nogear

Benching 315 for a few reps:
http://media.putfile.com/bench-week1

Deadlifting a sloppy 615 sumo with my old squat suit:
http://media.putfile.com/615gympull

Conventional 505x5 with some extra:
http://media.putfile.com/pulls

As you can see I’m no where near your world class level, but not all of us are destined for greatness like you.

ACTUALLY WHEN YOU USE WOODEN BOXES YOU RUN THE RISK OF HAVING GLUTE SPLINTERS, AN INJURY COMMON AMONG WEST-SIDE ELITES. THIS CAN BE REMEDIED BY PLACING PAPER PLATES ON THE WOODEN BOXES…

UNEARTH HAS NICE RAW LIFTS
“BOOOOOOO!”

ACTUALLY WE HAVE A COUPLE OF CHEAP HOME MADE SOLUTIONS. WE WILL TAKE SOME PICTURES TOMORROW AT THE GYM.

[quote]pizzlemank wrote:
ACTUALLY WHEN YOU USE WOODEN BOXES YOU RUN THE RISK OF HAVING GLUTE SPLINTERS, AN INJURY COMMON AMONG WEST-SIDE ELITES. THIS CAN BE REMEDIED BY PLACING PAPER PLATES ON THE WOODEN BOXES…

UNEARTH HAS NICE RAW LIFTS
“BOOOOOOO!”[/quote]

Agreed. It happened to me on my last dynamic squat workout. I went down too fast on the eccentrics. Like pizzlemank said, we will take photos of our home made boxes.

Here is the box that we like to use on dynamic squat days. Its very mobile and safe and doesn’t cost a cent.

[quote]pizzlemank wrote:

Here is the box that we like to use on dynamic squat days. Its very mobile and safe and doesn’t cost a cent. [/quote]

Was that parallel?