Anyone Have Squat Stands?

My TDS rack arrived the other day and I got to try it out today. The workout was pretty bad but the rack did the job.

Installation was somewhat weird, as you bolt the uprights on w /a bolt that goes through the bottom of the supports. I thought this was weird because the rack would be sitting on these bolts. I did it anyway and when I tightened it, the metal caved in a bit and the rack sat flush on the ground.

The other issue was the rubber end caps that I hammered on and one cracked. Of course it was 20 deg in the garage and they were frozen. I did the squat stands and put them in front of the heater for 15 minutes and they popped right on.

There’s a little side to side wobble if you push on it w/ a loaded bar, but other than that it was sturdy enough. Racking was semi hazardous, and you just have to be more careful and aim instead of just walking forward until you hit an upright like a cage then lowering it. It was pretty sturdy front to back racking the bar.

The width is non adjustable but I’m short so I can get my hands set inside the uprights. Bigger guys might have to go outside the supports.

I front squatted so I didn’t bother to test out the safety stands. Those seem pretty sturdy as well. The target is semi short though so you have to test out the setup to make sure if you miss a lift you will be over the catches. Sawhorses might have been a better option, but I couldn’t find adjustable ones.

That is all and I am pretty happy w/ the purchase considering the price. You can find the dimensions online, but I have rings setup in my garage about halfway through and the rack against the far wall, and there is still a big open space between the rings and rack to deadlift/snatch/and clean.

the place I train at only uses squat stands similar to #2. I like them more than power racks, but I can’t give you a reason. If you’re gonna bail out of a squat just dump it off your back.

[quote]DJS wrote:
JimmyLee09 wrote:
I am curious about how much weight you plan to be squatting. The “squat rack” in the first picture seems a bit unstable. My advice is to use a power cage. I used that and it is perfect for squat and bench presses.

Yeah it does look a little teetery eh? That is exactly why i started this thread. Figured someone might of used them and fill me in. No room for a power rack right now but i have full intentions of getting one when I move. Might be a few years though.

As far as weight goes, I’m no powerlifter and I have been out of a commercial gym for some time without squating. But getting it back is always easier. I’ll have upper 200’s on there in no time. Then move from there. I am in shape and I do legs. Just have been forced to use dumbells. Never fell in love with dumbell squats though and my dumbells only went to 120s so there was only so much i could do. [/quote]

Everyone in our PL Club has used the first type for squatting. With good spotters they are up for the job. Most powerlifting competitions I’ve been to either use those (first pic) or a type that are conected at floor level.

As for the first type I’ve squatted 230kg from them (a while ago though!) I have seen 300kg being squatted from them on quite a few occasions.
So I’d say if you have a decent spot, your fine with the first. If you have no spotter(s) thats a whole different story and you need a power rack.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
If you’re gonna bail out of a squat just dump it off your back.[/quote]

LOL. I did the 20 rep squats program when I went to my old college, and I was on like my 16th or 17th workout, and had to dump the weight (in a power rack). I cannot tell you how many looks I got for that.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Invictica wrote:
If you’re gonna bail out of a squat just dump it off your back.

LOL. I did the 20 rep squats program when I went to my old college, and I was on like my 16th or 17th workout, and had to dump the weight (in a power rack). I cannot tell you how many looks I got for that.[/quote]

ahah

“don’t worry, its part of the workout, seriously”

My friend has a set of squat rack stands like you have in your first post. They are from New York Barbells or Powertec. They work fine for him, and he uses them for Olympic lifting in his garage (he made a platform as well). He competes reguarly (69kg) but began training at home a couple years ago.

He front squats well over 400lbs and performs all kinds of lifts off the squat stands including overhead presses and benches. So they work fine.

If I was getting squat stands, I’d stick with Ironmind’s Vulcan II racks:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1217

They are more expensive, but they are strong, sturdy and work great!