T Nation

Anyone Have Only-Dumbbell Days?

I was thinking of switching up a bit this week and only doing dumbbell exercises for my chest, tri, and shoulder day. Anyone ever do this?

I’m currently using DBs for chest/shoulders (exception being bb military) to work on shoulder stability.

sure, it’s always good to change things up and keep your body guessing.

some weeks i’ll do all dumbells for chest,others i’ll do barbells and obviously both most weeks

Dumbbell Days? Hell yes. I usually do single-limb leg work along with it. Irons out those lateral imbalances and keeps things interesting.

I only use dumbbells. I’m looking to get a bar.

Yep :slight_smile:

S

WOW! I tried the blitzkreig part Deux workout, for your chest…wow…absolutely fried me. Good time.

It’s always good to switch things up and I haven’t completely abandoned a bar, but I prefer Dumbells. I would definitely recommend them for chest and shoulder exercises, 1 reason I feel it is safer, and 2. I feel that my chest/delts get a better workout through dumbells .vs. barbell for certain lifts.

imo…

Gerdy

I do this when I travel since most hotel gyms usually have dumbbells…

Switching stuff up is always good…

-Ratchet_

I actually prefer dumbbells for all lifts except deads. I always partially crush my feet. I’ve never squatted with a bar, but I imagine it would be worlds easier.

I use DBs for everything bar squats, deads, lat pulls and abs. I had one arm that looked slightly bigger and more defined than the other and using DBs has pretty much fixed it. DBs activate the stabilising muscles more so than any other means of resistance -not that bodybuilders are supposed to be concerned with anything so mundane as fuctionality. :wink:

I used to have the mentality that U had to use a barbell for a lot of exercises, simply because I could use more weight. Eventually (and after afew injuries) I realoized how superior DBs can be in your training. JUst remember than just because you can Barbell Bench Press 300 lbs, doesn’t mean you can go use the 150 lb dumbells.

S