T Nation

Anyone Have an Addictive Personality?

Not sure if that’s even a medical term or not.

When I get interested in something, I tend to dive into it fully. Not saying it’s always a bad thing, sometimes it may not be the best though.

To name a few past ones.

Mid college years I went through a DVD collecting phase and accumulated over 900 of them, spent a lot of money.

There were a few months where I would go bowling 3-4x week, now I never go.

I went through a financial phase of learning all I could on the topic (books, CDs, online forums), now I don’t research it at all.

Early college I went through a post whore phase on a car forum where I would sometimes post 100 times/day.

Now I seem to be making this place my addiction along with putting on weight. I’m putting everything I have into gaining weight. And spending excessive amounts of time on this site.

None of these are really problems to where it isn’t healthy, but it’s weird how I seem to devote myself entirely to something short term.

I think a lot of us do that here. I done similar things with golf, collecting, etc.

I think this is one of the things that draws us to lifting weights. It’s the one thing I’ve never gotten burn out on or completely given up on.

With other activities, I’ve gotten to a point where I was satisfied with my progress or my skill level and didn’t feel the need to continue on with it.

However, with lifting, I’m never satisfied. I add 10 lbs to a lift, well then I want to add another 10 lbs to it. I get my arms to grow a half inch, and then I want to get them to grow another half inch.

Yeah, I’m definitely a “addictive personality” guy. Booze, smokes and starchy carbs were tough to drop, but I replaced that shit with weights, learning to cook healthy and learning more about my body and how to make it better. things are going well so far.

I agree with Vader

Absolutely addictive personality.

When I’m into something I think about it all the time. With weights, I actually dream about it. The other day I dreamt I was in a strongman competition. It’s always running through my mind of better ways to improve what I’m doing. Could I have pushed harder, how to get to the next level.

My other obsession is embroidery. I get so I have images flashing behind my eyes of ideas for my next project. Sometimes I get so into new ideas for it, my heart rate gets elevated. Weird huh?

I do, yes definately from the abuse of narcotics to spending fucking hours and hours perfecting my tattoo designs.

If I like something I get into big time, but a lot of the time it does not last unless there is a physical addiction.

In sayng that I am not a lost cause becuase I was a long term user of coke and I smoked and drank a fair bit for 15 years, and I now do none of those things at all ( I have moved onto life enhancing drugs instead)

I’m addicted to boobs.

I have mild OCD and Addictive tendencies.

I win!

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I’m addicted to boobs. [/quote]

that’s a given

[quote]Electric_E wrote:

In sayng that I am not a lost cause becuase I was a long term user of coke and I smoked and drank a fair bit for 15 years, and I now do none of those things at all ( I have moved onto life enhancing drugs instead)

[/quote]

At first I thought you meant you weren’t a lost cause because you were able to use coke and cigarettes for a long time so therefore you can stick things out. Look at me I’m not a quitter! That’s why I smoked for 20 years. I actually used to tell people that I’m not a quitter :slight_smile: Then I quit. Shit. So I guess I am.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Electric_E wrote:

At first I thought you meant you weren’t a lost cause because you were able to use coke and cigarettes for a long time so therefore you can stick things out. Look at me I’m not a quitter! That’s why I smoked for 20 years. I actually used to tell people that I’m not a quitter :slight_smile: Then I quit. Shit. So I guess I am.[/quote]

Is that a Bill Hicks qoute? Sounds familiar :slight_smile:

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Electric_E wrote:

At first I thought you meant you weren’t a lost cause because you were able to use coke and cigarettes for a long time so therefore you can stick things out. Look at me I’m not a quitter! That’s why I smoked for 20 years. I actually used to tell people that I’m not a quitter :slight_smile: Then I quit. Shit. So I guess I am.

[/quote]

I don’t think so based on the fact that I have no clue who Bill Hicks is. Not surprising since, generally speaking, I know fuck all :slight_smile:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Electric_E wrote:

I don’t think so based on the fact that I have no clue who Bill Hicks is. Not surprising since, generally speaking, I know fuck all :)[/quote]

Very funny American comedian, very sadly no longer with us, he did a lot of stuff on smoking, your comment sounded like one of his sarcastic giving up jokes.

Hey don’t worry about knowing fuck all, most guys I know love a pretty dumb blonde :slight_smile:

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Electric_E wrote:

I don’t think so based on the fact that I have no clue who Bill Hicks is. Not surprising since, generally speaking, I know fuck all :slight_smile:

Very funny American comedian, very sadly no longer with us, he did a lot of stuff on smoking, your comment sounded like one of his sarcastic giving up jokes.

Hey don’t worry about knowing fuck all, most guys I know love a pretty dumb blonde :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Now I’m obsessed about being the best dumb blonde possible. I’m not pretty dumb either. If I’m going to get this right I have to be really freaking dumb :slight_smile:

I think its a bit of addictive personality with a mix of competetive nature. Anything I start up, such as an activity, I have to be one of the best at it. I joined my gym with a lot of people much stronger then me, year later I’m stronger then almost everyone in there. I become obsessed with anything I start up, sports, video games, lifting, ext.

I’m sure a lot of people on this site are the same way, many of the people here are competetive and compete in strongman, powerlifcting, bodybuiliding or recreational sports. Thus they become addicted to the activities they do to strive to be the best at it.

I’m not so much addictive to drugs or anything, since they don’t help me to be competetive in anything. Though I am weak when it comes to certain foods, yet I try best to avoid as much as possible.

Edit: Hah I’m with a lot of you on dreaming about the activities. Since I started smolov I have had a few dreams that I’m just squatting over and over, really weird.