Anyone Have a Good BF Calculator?

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
Should I be eating past satiety?[/quote]

I thought everyone trying to get big knew the answer to this.

It’s “Hell yeah!” in case anyone didn’t know.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
If you post a picture of yourself holding a shoe on “rate my physique” forum then they can pretty accurately tell you what your body fat is.[/quote]

In fact, it’s the only way.

buy a caliper off ebay for 10$

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
Der Candy wrote:
I want to ask one question…

WHy do people even care at all about their bodyfat percentage? I mean at all?

debraD hit the nail on the head. Also, I wanted to have my percentage handy for a rough estimate of how much to take in every day.

How much of what to take in every day? At your stage the last thing you need to be concerned with is what some machine or caliper says. A simple look in the mirror should be enough to show that you need to eat a lot and lift heavy.

I seriously don’t see why someone should need to know their bodyfat number unless they are dieting for a competition. What is 12%, 15% or 16% going to tell you that a look in the mirror won’t?[/quote]

OP, take this all in. Don’t even worry about your bodyfat. Whatever you’re eating now, eat a lot more of it. Everything you’re lifting, lift a lot heavier! Repeat this for a few years, sign up for a bodybuilding show, and then worry about your BF%.

A fish works almost as well as a shoe.

Should I be eating past satiety?[/quote]

Given your current physique, I very much doubt you know the meaning of this word. Stop obessing about every little detail.

Lift, eat, and sleep. For you it IS that simple.

[quote]elano wrote:
buy a caliper off ebay for 10$[/quote]

No don’t listen to this guy, leave the body fat measuring to actual professionals. If you do any other way then your just lying to yourself/wasting money.

Better yet just give me the $10, my guess is just as accurate as any $10 dollar caliper.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
Should I be eating past satiety?

Given your current physique, I very much doubt you know the meaning of this word. Stop obessing about every little detail.

Lift, eat, and sleep. For you it IS that simple.[/quote]

Past fullness, past comfort level. I know how much to lift and how much to sleep, just need to know how much to eat.

Makavali wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:

Past fullness, past comfort level. I know how much to lift and how much to sleep, just need to know how much to eat.[/quote]

This is just going off the top of my head:

I’m guessing you’re a 140lbs-160lbs

Eat at least 180-200 grams of protein a day
Eat as least 140 carbs a day
Space your feedings out over 2 hours. Every 2 hours eat. If you can’t always eat, go to gas stations and buy cashew nuts, beef jerky and milk.

DRINK FUCKING MILK! Water and Milk. All day every day.

No point in all this eating if you don’t hit the weight room hard. You’re not all that strong, but as long as you put in the effort and push yourself, you’ll be fine.

Peanut Butter is your friend. Beans are your friends. Rice is your friend. Potatoes are your friends.

Protein and carbs with every meal.

Don’t neglect veggies.

Eat Cottage Cheese before you go to sleep.

If you can’t eat this much food, get some protein powder, mix it with milk and bananas, drink up.

Getting big and strong is simple.

And all this is just off the top of my head.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Getting big and strong is simple.[/quote]

QFT

That can mean “Quite fucking true” or “Quoted for truth”. I like to think both.

Also, OP you’re spread over several threads. Ask all your Q’s in one post please.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

QFT

That can mean “Quite fucking true” or “Quoted for truth”. I like to think both.[/quote]

Damn right. I’m gonna be mad if he’s doing all this eating and he’s spending all of his time in the bicep curl machine. And then he curls in the squat rack.

I will so tribunal this guy.

Makavali wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:

Past fullness, past comfort level. I know how much to lift and how much to sleep, just need to know how much to eat.[/quote]

To build on what WolBarret wrote (excellent advice, even though he forget to mention olive oil shakes head), you should indeed eat past the point of satiety. You should be eating even when you are not hungry (this is one of those key points most skinny newbs miss out on at first).

As for how much you should be eating…it depends. If the scale isn’t increasing, eat more (it’s that simple). If you find that your fat gains are outweighing your muscle gains, scale it back some…but base this on what the mirror and progress pics are telling you, NOT on what a calculator says your body fat is.

[quote]anonym wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
Makavali wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:

Past fullness, past comfort level. I know how much to lift and how much to sleep, just need to know how much to eat.

To build on what WolBarret wrote (excellent advice, even though he forget to mention olive oil shakes head), you should indeed eat past the point of satiety. You should be eating even when you are not hungry (this is one of those key points most skinny newbs miss out on at first).

As for how much you should be eating…it depends. If the scale isn’t increasing, eat more (it’s that simple). If you find that your fat gains are outweighing your muscle gains, scale it back some…but base this on what the mirror and progress pics are telling you, NOT on what a calculator says your body fat is.[/quote]

Anoynm forgot to mention this: When you cook breakfast, drink beer while wearing a gray sweat suit.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Anoynm forgot to mention this: When you cook breakfast, drink beer while wearing a gray sweat suit.[/quote]

I thought that was a given if you’re training to fight Bat Dad.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Space your feedings out over 2 hours. Every 2 hours eat. If you can’t always eat, go to gas stations and buy cashew nuts, beef jerky and milk.

No point in all this eating if you don’t hit the weight room hard. You’re not all that strong, but as long as you put in the effort and push yourself, you’ll be fine.

Peanut Butter is your friend. Beans are your friends. Rice is your friend. Potatoes are your friends.

Don’t neglect veggies.

If you can’t eat this much food, get some protein powder, mix it with milk and bananas, drink up.

And all this is just off the top of my head.[/quote]

I’m about 166 lbs or so, so it’s in the ballpark. Definitely trying to go over 200g of protein a day, but are you sure about 140g of carbs a day? I may go over 100g a day if you include fruits and veggies as opposed to just grains and cereals - I know carbs aren’t the most evil thing ever like they’re often made out to be, but I have a tendency to retain water and I gain weight pretty easily, so I try to avoid taking in too many grains. You know a lot more about this than I do though, so I’d like to hear why you say 140g+ a day.

I drink lots of water, but I’m vaguely lactose-intolerant - drinking milk gives me the runs and hives. (I can take in relatively lactose-free stuff okay though, ex: cottage cheese and yogurt.) I’ve been drinking soy milk for the last few years, is that okay or should I switch to almond milk or something?

WolBarret wrote:

Don’t neglect veggies.

And all this is just off the top of my head.

I’m about 166 lbs or so, so it’s in the ballpark. Definitely trying to go over 200g of protein a day, but are you sure about 140g of carbs a day? I may go over 100g a day if you include fruits and veggies as opposed to just grains and cereals - I know carbs aren’t the most evil thing ever like they’re often made out to be, but I have a tendency to retain water and I gain weight pretty easily, so I try to avoid taking in too many grains. You know a lot more about this than I do though, so I’d like to hear why you say 140g+ a day.

I drink lots of water, but I’m vaguely lactose-intolerant - drinking milk gives me the runs and hives. (I can take in relatively lactose-free stuff okay though, ex: cottage cheese and yogurt.) I’ve been drinking soy milk for the last few years, is that okay or should I switch to almond milk or something?[/quote]

First of all, no soy milk. Soy milk is the devil. Just do a search on Soy Milk.

If you want to gain muscle, you have to get big. Carbs are key for getting big. Protein is key for repairing muscle. To get bigger muscles, you need carbs and protein. If you just eat protein, your muscles gains will be slow, but you’ll repair what muscle you have. If you just eat carbs, you’ll gain weight but not all of it will be muscle.

If you combine Protein and Carbs, your muscles repair quicker, you grow more muscle, and you’ll gain size. The good size kind of size that is.

That’s just off the top of my head. So I may be off in some areas.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
So I may be off in some areas.[/quote]

Sounded OK to me.

Well, hives sounds more like an allergy to milk than lactose intolerance, but I’ll assume you know your body better than I (the runs stacks up better for your diagnosis).

Look into getting Lactaid milk (milk + lactase enzyme). It’s geared for people with lactose intolerance (I actually prefer it to regular milk).

It shouldn’t cost much more (if at all) than almond/soy milk, and you should be able to drink all you want without fear of shitting yourself a new hole.

Just follow us, Blue Cadet.

Anoymn, Mak, and I will lead you down the path of Strength. Down the path of Hugenicity. Down the path of Power. Down the path of Testerone.

Essentially, we’ll get you big and strong.