T Nation

Anyone Had Mumps?

The Doc says i’ve got it. This is very bad news indeed. Bed ridden for a week or so, no training, eating is hard work/painful, gonna be sitting on my arse/lying in bed all the time… catch up on my film collection at least.

Has anyone else ever had it? Or a similar sort of thing… I’ve never been seriously ill before and this is shit. What to do…

Urgh

Mumps? I thought those had died out. I’ve never even heard of someone getting them. You should take a picture if the swelling gets big enough…bullfrog man. That must suck though, what are you going to do for training? Do as Doctor says?

I think it died out…in america?

Dude, trust me, you could be ALOT worse off. If you do your research on mumps, you’ll see that there is a complication that arises from mumps in close to 70% of afflicted, post-pubescent males that involves massive swelling in the testicles. Of that 70%, 70% will go sterile (not impotent, sterile. Unable to reproduce, not unable to perform. Big difference.)

When I got it, I got it in my cheeks one side at a time, then it went down, again, one side at a time. I was in bed in unspeakable pain and unable to eat for 4 weeks. Lost most of the gains I’d made in the gym. You, I hope, will fare much better. Good luck!

Oh…I now have a little baby girl. So, I know I’m not shooting blanks.

I had mumps about 45 years ago, both sides. Hurt like hell for a few days, but I was a kid so wasn’t used to pain.

Back then most all kids got mumps, chicken pox, measles, and all the other normal kid diseases. Rites of passage!

Consider your mumps as strength training for your immune system :wink:

I got mine at 21. I was plenty used to pain. It still hurt like hell.

[quote]Nick Danger wrote:
I had mumps about 45 years ago, both sides. Hurt like hell for a few days, but I was a kid so wasn’t used to pain.

Back then most all kids got mumps, chicken pox, measles, and all the other normal kid diseases. Rites of passage!

[/quote]

Normal kid diseases?

In my 20 years of life, I have never come across or heard of someone whose had (the?) mumps.

Most kids had chicken pox, nobody had mumps or measles.

I came in here because I thought this thread was about Mad Humps not Having Mumps :[

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

Normal kid diseases?

In my 20 years of life, I have never come across or heard of someone whose had (the?) mumps.

Most kids had chicken pox, nobody had mumps or measles. [/quote]You youngsters have it easy.

Why back when I was your age we had measles on our mumps on our chicken pox – and it was uphill both ways!

[quote]Nick Danger wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

Normal kid diseases?

Most kids had chicken pox, nobody had mumps or measles. You youngsters have it easy.

Why back when I was your age we had measles on our mumps on our chicken pox – and it was uphill both ways!

[/quote]

haha! Well played.

But yea, who the fuck get’s mumps these days? Have you been rolling around naked in a sewer or something?

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

Normal kid diseases?

Most kids had chicken pox, nobody had mumps or measles. You youngsters have it easy.

haha! Well played.

But yea, who the fuck get’s mumps these days? Have you been rolling around naked in a sewer or something?[/quote]

Dude thats how I got gonorrhea

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

Normal kid diseases?

haha! Well played.

But yea, who the fuck get’s mumps these days? Have you been rolling around naked in a sewer or something?[/quote]

Actually rolling around naked in the first couple weeks of University is probably part of it… not in a sewer as far as i know, though memories are hazy in parts…

I’ve been to the doctor and i’ve been subscibed “a week of bedrest”… as it is though alot of the severe pain, including the pain when eating, seems to have passed, so i can be back to a much closer version of my normal diet. I’ll be returning training whenever i feel up for it… possibly in the next couple of days, training in my home setup to avoid giving the whole gym world my illness.

Cant decide if im more concerned about the lack of training and likelyness to lose more weight or being 2 weeks+ behind in Uni work… both pretty bad.

The actual figures are apparently testes swelling in 1 in 4, and even then infertility is still rare… so yeah mine seems pretty lightweight compared to what you went through (postholedigger).