T Nation

Anyone Had a SLAP Tear?

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has ever had a SLAP tear before and what their experiance was

with it regarding recovery time and if their shoulder ever got back to 100%. I have had a MR

scan and the diagnosis was that i have a SLAP tear. It’s a minor tear as i can still bench-

press and overhead press reasonable weight compared to what i could but it does give me a lot

of grief since i cannot really progress on my upperbody very effectively… I am booked in for

surgery which hopefully should be sometime soon but would find it very informative to hear of

people’s past experiances regarding this type of injury. Thanks a lot for reading! :slight_smile:

[quote]wozniak1995 wrote:
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has ever had a SLAP tear before and what their experiance was

with it regarding recovery time and if their shoulder ever got back to 100%. I have had a MR

scan and the diagnosis was that i have a SLAP tear. It’s a minor tear as i can still bench-

press and overhead press reasonable weight compared to what i could but it does give me a lot

of grief since i cannot really progress on my upperbody very effectively… I am booked in for

surgery which hopefully should be sometime soon but would find it very informative to hear of

people’s past experiances regarding this type of injury. Thanks a lot for reading! :)[/quote]

What’s a minor tear include, what type of SLAP is it? they number from I-X (i think it could be 8) This will play an important rule in your progression and how quickly you will be able to return as a type 8 is a much larger tear and should be progressed slower than say a type 2.

Just a question, but why are you so concerned with overhead pressing unless you are competing in strong man competitions. You may want to lay off them after surgery unless you really enjoy it, then have at it mate. Typically you will return to full participation anywhere from 8-9 months to a year.

As I remember:
My contrast MRI said I had a SLAP tear, a partially torn biceps tendon, and a partially torn, and a fully torn rotators cuff. My biceps tendon was actually intact and the two rotators were actually reversed. The one thought partially torn was fully torn etc.

The nurse gave me a pain pill when I woke up but I was not in any real pain. I never took another. I had discomfort but not that bad and did not want that stuff in my body. And I am not a tough guy that can move thru pain. I can take it if I do not move thru it.

Sleeping was ok if I stayed put but not always possible. Even w/ the sling and pillows and inclining the mattress I would find myself out of position. Its uncomfortable staying in one position so moving will cause some discomfort.
I started rehab at home 3 days after surgery w/ shoulders rotations from a bent over position and started physical therapy I think in 6 weeks.

About four months later the doc said I was done and cleared me to do whatever I wanted as long as it was pain free. A year later I could finally hold an empty bar on my back but it still does not feel right and I only do front squats. (back squats are actually what caused the problem in the first place. I used to do lots of 20 rep sets that took over 2 minutes. My shoulders would go to sleep and get stiff but I was too stupid back then to realize what I was doing).

Now its lots of floor presses, pushups w/a wt vest, modified shouldered raises, snatch hi pulls etc. I still do a little bb and a lot of db work. When I raise my arms overhead the one arm is probably 1 or 2 degrees short of vertical. I started doing presses a couple of months ago and I still only use about 40-50% of previous loads. My shoulders have improved a lot though w/ the exercises mentioned above.

[quote]steveffcft wrote:
As I remember:
My contrast MRI said I had a SLAP tear, a partially torn biceps tendon, and a partially torn, and a fully torn rotators cuff. My biceps tendon was actually intact and the two rotators were actually reversed. The one thought partially torn was fully torn etc.

The nurse gave me a pain pill when I woke up but I was not in any real pain. I never took another. I had discomfort but not that bad and did not want that stuff in my body. And I am not a tough guy that can move thru pain. I can take it if I do not move thru it.

Sleeping was ok if I stayed put but not always possible. Even w/ the sling and pillows and inclining the mattress I would find myself out of position. Its uncomfortable staying in one position so moving will cause some discomfort.
I started rehab at home 3 days after surgery w/ shoulders rotations from a bent over position and started physical therapy I think in 6 weeks.

About four months later the doc said I was done and cleared me to do whatever I wanted as long as it was pain free. A year later I could finally hold an empty bar on my back but it still does not feel right and I only do front squats. (back squats are actually what caused the problem in the first place. I used to do lots of 20 rep sets that took over 2 minutes. My shoulders would go to sleep and get stiff but I was too stupid back then to realize what I was doing).

Now its lots of floor presses, pushups w/a wt vest, modified shouldered raises, snatch hi pulls etc. I still do a little bb and a lot of db work. When I raise my arms overhead the one arm is probably 1 or 2 degrees short of vertical. I started doing presses a couple of months ago and I still only use about 40-50% of previous loads. My shoulders have improved a lot though w/ the exercises mentioned above.
[/quote]

Wow, your post gave me a lot of insight of what injury can do to you. Hope your shoulder keeps improving! :slight_smile:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]wozniak1995 wrote:

people’s past experiances regarding this type of injury. Thanks a lot for reading! :)[/quote]

What’s a minor tear include, what type of SLAP is it? they number from I-X (i think it could be 8) This will play an important rule in your progression and how quickly you will be able to return as a type 8 is a much larger tear and should be progressed slower than say a type 2.

Just a question, but why are you so concerned with overhead pressing unless you are competing in strong man competitions. You may want to lay off them after surgery unless you really enjoy it, then have at it mate. Typically you will return to full participation anywhere from 8-9 months to a year. [/quote]

The doctor said that from looking at the MR scan he can only see a tear in the ligament at the top of my shoulder which connects to the bicep tendon… my rotor cuff and all that stuff is fine though. I have just sent him an email asking what type of tear it is (1,2,3 etc…) so i will update this post upon his response. I don’t do any overhead pressing anymore due to not wanting to aggrivate the condition but my shoulder still allows me to push-press 100kg overhead (with discomfort of course) so things hopefully aren’t that bad…

This article explains the types pretty well:

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=1027

I had the surgery. One thing to really watch for is involvement of the bicep tendon and how recent the injury occurred. My doctor and I determined I tore mine years before, most likely bracing myself from a fall. I would not have known I had an issue but started having nodules growing around the tear causing pain. Had surgery and fixed the labrum after about 3 months was cleared to do anything I wanted to.

About a week later was doing rows and felt a sharp pain in upper arm for 2 seconds then nothing. Looked down and my upper arm was hanging funny. Googled, decided I tore the long head of the bicep tendon. Doctor agreed, had surgery and another 3 month recovery. Asking the doctor about it he said since my injury was so old the bicep tendon lost elasticity and when was stretched a bit due to fixing the labrum it snapped. As part of the surgery he inspects the tendon, but visually it was fine at the time of the first operation.