Anyone from Idaho?

Looking for some local knowledge. How is it? Compared to where? People’s general attitudes? Problems with people moving in? I don’t need a job but I do a travel rotation to manage things overseas, in South Dakota and upstate NY so good air links are nice. Coming from Alaska where I’ve been for about 10 years.

Any first hand insight greatly appreciated.

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Looking for some local knowledge. How is it? Compared to where? People’s general attitudes? Problems with people moving in? I don’t need a job but I do a travel rotation to manage things overseas, in South Dakota and upstate NY so good air links are nice. Coming from Alaska where I’ve been for about 10 years.

Any first hand insight greatly appreciated. [/quote]

What city?

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Idaho is made up of two very different regions - north and south.

More later.[/quote]

Also known as “Freedomland” and “Mormonland”.

Boise as a starting point. I need an airport within reasonable distance. Im on the road about twice a month at least. Family area would be nice. A resort town might drive me nuts. I’ve been to Pocatello and had a great French dip sandwich near the bus station when I was 18 but that’s the limit of experience.

Culture of the people most important. I’m a pretty friendly guy at least in my own mind.

There’s a member here on T-Nation named Idaho.
I’m guessing he might be able to help.

I live in North Idaho. It’s fucking awesome if you like to do any recreational activities. Lots of snow sports in the winter, lots of lakes in the summer, tons of hunting if you’re into that, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, etc.

The culture in North Idaho is typically very conservative redneck or very liberal outdoorsy people.

I am from Montana, but I grew up in S. Idaho, graduated from Twin Falls High. Left there in 93 and have never looked back. Boise would be your best bet. N. Idaho is nice and if you live in the Couer D’ Alene area it is very scenic and very close to Spokane, WA so you would have your major airport.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
I live in North Idaho. It’s fucking awesome if you like to do any recreational activities. Lots of snow sports in the winter, lots of lakes in the summer, tons of hunting if you’re into that, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, etc.

The culture in North Idaho is typically very conservative redneck or very liberal outdoorsy people. [/quote]

Rip, what town are you in?

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Boise as a starting point. I need an airport within reasonable distance. Im on the road about twice a month at least. Family area would be nice. A resort town might drive me nuts. I’ve been to Pocatello and had a great French dip sandwich near the bus station when I was 18 but that’s the limit of experience.

Culture of the people most important. I’m a pretty friendly guy at least in my own mind. [/quote]

I’ve never lived in Boise but I’m told it’s a pretty good place to live. If you’re just taking a pick of a place to live in Idaho, I’d go for Coeur 'd Alene. It’s a 45 minute drive from the Spokane airport which I don’t think is too bad. People are very friendly and the girls are babes. What more could you want?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]biggjames wrote:
I am from Montana, but I grew up in S. Idaho, graduated from Twin Falls High. Left there in 93 and have never looked back. Boise would be your best bet. N. Idaho is nice and if you live in the Couer D’ Alene area it is very scenic and very close to Spokane, WA so you would have your major airport. [/quote]

James, email me at the address on my hub.

We gotta meet, man.[/quote]

As long as you do not end up wearing my head as a hat or I am hung up like game on the back porch!

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

The culture in North Idaho is typically very conservative redneck or very liberal outdoorsy people. [/quote]

Rip, what town are you in?[/quote]

I’m in Sandpoint. Living in paradise. You’re in Washington, aren’t you edge?

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

Culture of the people most important. I’m a pretty friendly guy at least in my own mind. [/quote]

I’ve never lived in Boise but I’m told it’s a pretty good place to live. If you’re just taking a pick of a place to live in Idaho, I’d go for Coeur 'd Alene. It’s a 45 minute drive from the Spokane airport which I don’t think is too bad. People are very friendly and the girls are babes. What more could you want?[/quote]

I’m hitting Boise in early feb to look around. I thought cour d lane was a mix of white supremists and ski bumbs. But that could be ignorant. If be a little worried that if I went up there it would hurts business in the eyes of some.

[quote]biggjames wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]biggjames wrote:
I am from Montana, but I grew up in S. Idaho, graduated from Twin Falls High. Left there in 93 and have never looked back. Boise would be your best bet. N. Idaho is nice and if you live in the Couer D’ Alene area it is very scenic and very close to Spokane, WA so you would have your major airport. [/quote]

James, email me at the address on my hub.

We gotta meet, man.[/quote]

As long as you do not end up wearing my head as a hat or I am hung up like game on the back porch!
[/quote]

I can personally vouch for Pushharder. He is one of the best people you will ever meet. No lie.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

I’ve never lived in Boise but I’m told it’s a pretty good place to live. If you’re just taking a pick of a place to live in Idaho, I’d go for Coeur 'd Alene. It’s a 45 minute drive from the Spokane airport which I don’t think is too bad. People are very friendly and the girls are babes. What more could you want?[/quote]

Coeur d’Alene is beautiful but expensive. It’s also a bit white separatisty, or at least it was until fairly recently. Boise is a beautiful and clean city…but it’s a city. Driving’s a pain in the ass. Lots of one-way streets. It’s also very hipstery, and run by Mormons.

My pick is north of Grangeville, but south of Cour d’Alene. Little town called Moscow, home of the University of Idaho Vandals. Beautiful, intelligent women, strong, educated men (college town, remember), and probably more people walking around open-carrying cocked-and-locked Colt 1911 pistols than any other town in America. Great bars and restaurants, good mix of people. I’ve only ever visited, but I’d live there if I had to.

Look into it.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

Coeur d’Alene is beautiful but expensive. It’s also a bit white separatisty, or at least it was until fairly recently. Boise is a beautiful and clean city…but it’s a city. Driving’s a pain in the ass. Lots of one-way streets. It’s also very hipstery, and run by Mormons.

My pick is north of Grangeville, but south of Cour d’Alene. Little town called Moscow, home of the University of Idaho Vandals. Beautiful, intelligent women, strong, educated men (college town, remember), and probably more people walking around open-carrying cocked-and-locked Colt 1911 pistols than any other town in America. Great bars and restaurants, good mix of people. I’ve only ever visited, but I’d live there if I had to.

Look into it.[/quote]

Hey I remember suggesting to you to check out Coeur d’ Alene back before you went on your secret mission. Glad to hear you did.

I don’t think the white supremacist rep is fair. When I got here (Spokane) in '96 there was still a pitiful enclave but I think it was more in the direction of Sandpoint where Ripsaw is. Where ever it was it’s gone now as well as any sentiment in the community that MIGHT have existed with it.

It’s not ski bums either. Sure, there’s great skiing 45 minutes north at Schweitzer and 30 minutes east at Silver but most of the people in CDA probably don’t even ski.

It is a resort town but I am still inclined to disagree with Varq about the cost. It’s expensive if you want property on the lake or a condo on Sherman Ave but everything else is quite reasonable compared to the rest of the country. I hired a woman 9 months ago and she and her husband bought a 4 bedroom 3 bath house in CDA for 240K. It looks nice and is in excellent condition. The whole neighborhood is similar too.

The really great thing though, Comus, is now we have a place to stay when we go skiing up in Sandpoint!

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

Look into it.[/quote]

Hey I remember suggesting to you to check out Coeur d’ Alene back before you went on your secret mission. Glad to hear you did.

I don’t think the white supremacist rep is fair. When I got here (Spokane) in '96 there was still a pitiful enclave but I think it was more in the direction of Sandpoint where Ripsaw is. Where ever it was it’s gone now as well as any sentiment in the community that MIGHT have existed with it.

It’s not ski bums either. Sure, there’s great skiing 45 minutes north at Schweitzer and 30 minutes east at Silver but most of the people in CDA probably don’t even ski.

It is a resort town but I am still inclined to disagree with Varq about the cost. It’s expensive if you want property on the lake or a condo on Sherman Ave but everything else is quite reasonable compared to the rest of the country. I hired a woman 9 months ago and she and her husband bought a 4 bedroom 3 bath house in CDA for 240K. It looks nice and is in excellent condition. The whole neighborhood is similar too.

The really great thing though, Comus, is now we have a place to stay when we go skiing up in Sandpoint![/quote]

Damn, I didn’t know you lived that close edge. Come up so we can shred the gnar! I actually got a job offer in Spokane that I didn’t accept because the offer wasn’t high enough.

The whole white supremacist thing was in Hayden, which is between CDA and Sandpoint. They were not well received in the community at all and had some crazy stuff happen to drive them out of town(Ruby Ridge was one event).

CDA is a resort town, but it is definitely not expensive. It’s actually very cheap to live in North Idaho/Eastern Washington area. Unless, like edge was saying, you get the lake front property or condo at the CDA resort. I’m actually looking at investing in property in CDA because it is relatively cheap and Idaho is very favorable to the landlord.