Anyone from Georgia?

[quote]pwrlifter198 wrote:
D,

I have experiences both in Maine (my Mom, Grandmother, and Great Grandmother grew up there)and in GA. I lived in Savannah (longest), Athens (very short time in 93), Atlanta, and Warner Robins (near Macon) for a total of 11 years. Being from New England and depending on how far East of Atlanta you’re planning on living, you could be in for a bit of a culture shock.

The sense of tradition is strong in the South (Atlanta excluded) as are racial tensions. That said, if you’re looking at Savannah, Macon, or Athens, you can still buy a lot of house for your dollar and the weather is pretty agreeable if you don’t mind the humidity. I suggest you pick up a novel by Patrick Conroy and read it on your next plane ride. Any novel by him will do, but Beach Music is set largely in Savannah. It will give you an insight into the traditions and mindsets of the area.[/quote]

Okay, I also feel the need to comment on the “traditions” and “racial tensions”.

Yes, it is true that there is tension between black and white in the south, but the problem has little to do with the people. Would you like to know why New England doesnâ??t have the same racial tensions? There are no black people. Almost everyone there is the same race. It is the same all over the world, places where you have a co-mingling of races/ethnicities/cultures, you have tension. Period. The only places you donâ??t have these tensions are in locations with very homogeneous demographics.

No offense you in particular, but I get tired of getting lectured on cultural and racial tolerance by people who live in regions that are as culturally un-diverse as they come. (real quick I wiki-ed New England and African Americans arenâ??t even listed in the demographics)

Yes, there are issues in the south, but they are no different than any other multi-cultural area. It might be a good idea for some of yall to move down south and actually mix with some other peoples for a change. Maybe even live somewhere youâ??re a minority.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
TO HELL WITH GEORGIA! (u(sic)ga)

That is all.[/quote]

Yeah, but UGA (ugga)-- best.mascot.ever!

Check him go after the Auburn dude at 0:50, and the Kentucky dude at 1:15. LMAO!

Inbreeding will do that to dogs.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I wiki-ed New England and African Americans aren’t??t even listed in the demographics.
[/quote]

That’s because I moved back to TX in 2000.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I wiki-ed New England and African Americans aren’t??t even listed in the demographics.
[/quote]

That’s because I moved back to TX in 2000. [/quote]

That was YOU?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
[/quote]

That’s because I moved back to TX in 2000. [/quote]

That was YOU?[/quote]

Yeah…man. I had to get out of their before the Somalis realized I wasn’t one of them.

SD, that part of Georgia is really nice. Being only 3 hours away I’ve been there plenty. One warning though, Mid-July Georgia might only be a bit worse than Mid-July Jersey but August in the Deep South can be hotter than the hinges of hell and a lot damper too.

Georgia is great, lived there for the first couple of years then moved to Alabama. The heat really isn’t that bad, you get used to it pretty quickly. I can never get used to the fucking cold.

I’m originally from New England (Rhode Island) but I’m a student in Savannah Georgia. Definitely some culture shock but Savannah’s a beautiful city.

UGA died a couple months ago…That is UGA VIII or whatever damn number they are on now

I live on the West side of Atlanta and love it. It is diverse, clean and close to Downtown(20 min.) and the airport is only 15 min. away. On the East you have Conyers, Covington and Rockdale, which are all a good mix of city/country. Yes, it is true what they say about Georgia women…they will ride you like a Harley on bumpy road.

Newton and Rockdale (east of Atlanta) are overcrowded as shit. The roads weren’t built with the Altanta overflow in mind so they’re packed and the high schools are so stuffed full that i’m surprised they don’t teach in the parking lot. Duce was spot on with the diversity. If you arn’t accustomed to black culture and mannerisms you might be uncomfortable living here.

A little over five years ago it was a majority white area and now it has reversed. The corporate chains picked up on this and changed their store selections to reflect the change in demographic, movies as well (Goddamnit, Madea). The area isn’t riddled with crime or anything like that and you can still raise a family here, just be prepared for the changes that a small city on the outskirts of a major city can incur in a quick period of time.

I’ve only been to Chamblee, which is I think a suburb north of Atlanta. The whole area is really nice, in fact I’ll be there for Christmas, whoop whoop

I’m in Athens… definitely looking for someone to train with. I train at the Ramsey center at UGA. Anyone else?

Heh, what is it with all these resurrection bumps lately?