Anyone from Georgia?

SO, Georgia, specifically east of Atlanta, is on my radar.

Anyone from there? Tell me stories, good and bad. Love/hate, etc.

I banged a CPT from ft. stewart, GA.

riverwalk is a good place to pick up chicks.

Culturally speaking, I’m gonna say as a New Englander you probably will not enjoy living in the south, if that’s what you’re talking about. That’s putting my experience mildly and/or cynically.

Atlanta’s not the south anymore. I lived there 20 years. It was the south when I got there and Detroit when I left.

I live east of Atlanta. Love it here in GA. I’ve lived all over the state and I believe that GA is the most beautiful state. Very diverse and there are many places that still represent the old south. The middle GA area being my favoirte, but south ga has a lot to offer as well. I’ve visited many other places including up there around new hampshire and vermont. I like GA the best.

Shoot me a PM and tell me where you are moving. If you’re in my neck of the woods I can let you know a little more or show ya some stuff.

Moving from maine, expect much warmer winter and much hotter summer. Depending on where you live you might get gnats. Spring is beautiful here. Hope you like it as much as I do. Winter time you will get a lot more sunny days than Maine. The women here are beautiful and many very sweet little southern girls. Expect to be called a yankee at some point. Anyways, shoot me a PM!

Athens is great!

My brother-in-law lives on St. Simon’s Island.
Fucking beautiful place. I’d love to live there, or at least have a retreat home there.

Thanks for the responses so far. I fly down there often for work and am most familiar with the “Greater Athens” area, which seems nice.

Yes, the climate will be a huge factor, which, I’m ready for the change. I’m looking at 6-10" of snow today, which I have to shovel (this is only the beginning of the snow season), versus weather in the 60’s. Summers will be MUCH hotter, but that’s why A.C. was invented…

It is beautiful here in Maine, but you can’t live off the scenery…

I get called Yankee all the time by my inbred, toothless coworkers :wink:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I fly down there often for work and am most familiar with the “Greater Athens” area, which seems nice.

Yes, the climate will be a huge factor, which, I’m ready for the change. I’m looking at 6-10" of snow today, which I have to shovel (this is only the beginning of the snow season), versus weather in the 60’s. Summers will be MUCH hotter, but that’s why A.C. was invented…

I get called Yankee all the time by my inbred, toothless coworkers ;)[/quote]

Hey D
My wife and I frequently discuss moving south. Sometimes we’re in the company of others when doing so. It seems that one of them is always trying to talk us out of it with, “well, it’s so hot down there that you’ll be stuck indoors for 2-3 of the hottest months of the year”. To which we reply, “Yeah but here in cold NJ we’re stuck indoors 2-3 of the coldest months of the year”.

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

I get called Yankee all the time by my inbred, toothless coworkers ;)[/quote]

Hey D
My wife and I frequently discuss moving south. Sometimes we’re in the company of others when doing so. It seems that one of them is always trying to talk us out of it with, “well, it’s so hot down there that you’ll be stuck indoors for 2-3 of the hottest months of the year”. To which we reply, “Yeah but here in cold NJ we’re stuck indoors 2-3 of the coldest months of the year”.

lol[/quote]

Yeah, and up he-ah we’re stuck inside 9 months-- 5 months of snow, 2 months of ice/slush, and 2 months of mud. The 3 months that we call “summah” consists of black flies, mosquitoes, and tourists.

I love it :wink: I’m getting tired of shovelling 5 feet of snow annually, though. I can deal with heat! My experience that in mid-July, “Georgia hot and muggy” is only slightly more intense than “S.Jersey hot and muggy”.

As an added perq, our office is in Athens near campus (U.Ga) on “sorority row”-- the ‘scenery’ is wonderful.

D,

I have experiences both in Maine (my Mom, Grandmother, and Great Grandmother grew up there)and in GA. I lived in Savannah (longest), Athens (very short time in 93), Atlanta, and Warner Robins (near Macon) for a total of 11 years. Being from New England and depending on how far East of Atlanta you’re planning on living, you could be in for a bit of a culture shock.

The sense of tradition is strong in the South (Atlanta excluded) as are racial tensions. That said, if you’re looking at Savannah, Macon, or Athens, you can still buy a lot of house for your dollar and the weather is pretty agreeable if you don’t mind the humidity. I suggest you pick up a novel by Patrick Conroy and read it on your next plane ride. Any novel by him will do, but Beach Music is set largely in Savannah. It will give you an insight into the traditions and mindsets of the area.

Georgia is the best!!! Love it here, I am from north georgia… above atlanta, it is simply beautiful!
And if you have seen ATHENS first hand then you know what georgia has to offer :slight_smile:

[quote]pwrlifter198 wrote:
That said, if you’re looking at Savannah, Macon, or Athens, you can still buy a lot of house for your dollar and the weather is pretty agreeable if you don’t mind the humidity. I suggest you pick up a novel by Patrick Conroy and read it on your next plane ride. Any novel by him will do, but Beach Music is set largely in Savannah. It will give you an insight into the traditions and mindsets of the area.[/quote]

This was the first thing we noticed. We can get TWICE the house/lot around Athens than what we can up here in RURAL Maine for the same money!

I’ll definitely pick up a Conroy novel in my next weekly batch of books.

One thing is for sure-- the music scene around Athens is top notch. That’s a HUGE plus for me. Besides being a musician, I’m a live music junky.

I really liked Athens, but we had to leave in 1997. I do not miss the heat in the summer- BRUTAL.

I do miss the people and the winters. Great music/downtown area.

Not nearly as crowded as NJ. The summers in Athens were OK because most students leave and that makes for a shorter commute.

jnd

If you’re in Athens, then you’ll only be a 45 minute jaunt to Atlanta. You can pick up a Braves game, get a great meal and catch some live acoustic all in one night. Of course, Athens, home of REM and Kenny Rogers (I think on the last one) does have a great music scene with more to come I’m sure due to UGA. Saturdays during football season are a bit frantic as UGA fans are a little bit crazy.

Conroy is a good read. A bit flowery for some, but he describes the southern male mindset with uncanny accuracy and detail.

One not too well known secret about Athens is the food. You may not be able to find better BBQ anywhere. If you can make it down to Savannah some time, eat on River Street and you will not be disappointed…anywhere on River Street.

[quote]robilyn29 wrote:
Georgia is the best!!! Love it here, I am from north georgia… above atlanta, it is simply beautiful!
And if you have seen ATHENS first hand then you know what georgia has to offer :)[/quote]

Is it true what they say about Georgia women? :wink:

which is?

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA! (u(sic)ga)

That is all.

[quote]robilyn29 wrote:
which is?[/quote]

I was hoping you’d tell me!

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
TO HELL WITH GEORGIA! (u(sic)ga)

That is all.[/quote]

Yeah, but UGA (ugga)-- best.mascot.ever!

Check him go after the Auburn dude at 0:50, and the Kentucky dude at 1:15. LMAO!