Anyone For a Guinness?

I often find myself in a situation where I have a cold one or two. It’s obvious consuming any alcohol will not be good for anyone serious about gaining muscle. Nothing like a good game, a demanding job, stress and “good” friends to guide you straight to the nearest watering hole.

I generally don’t drink but I have to admit I have the occasional beer or two when I am with the boys, as specially during rugby season (that is pretty much the entire year these days). Not being a big drinker I often search for a beverage that is “light”, and if it is light hopefully tasty (nothing worse than having the local non-alcoholic beers).

I did however find this interesting article, hopefully this is not a free pass to consume as much of the stuff in a day as possible!? Perhaps it will serve the purpose of being a substitute for the carb and alcohol overloaded drinks available. It may not be the best tasting drink around for some people, luckily I enjoy it and it’s always available at our local sports bar.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_20040405/ai_n10960134

Tony Gentilcore had a good blog entry about this not too long ago. To paraphrase him, he asks “Is it the beer (or wine), or the fact that you’re relaxing while you drink it? People usually don’t pound dark beer or wine like they do Coors Light.”

I’m not sure, but you know what, I could use a pint right now and try to figure it out.

the strongest men and greatest athletes in the world drink alcohol

but NOT during/before competition

so really it is about the timing (like everything)

I can’t see them marketing “we have less alcohol than everyone else!” anytime soon! Haha that being said I love beer, I have had a pint of over 60 different types of beer and still going strong and I must say Guinnes doesn’t rank too high up on my list. It’s by no means the worst but there are so many better dark beers out there!

Haha if anyone wants a list I would be happy to rank some of the best :slight_smile:

ummmmmm … Guinness YUM

I’m not a big drinker either but I will plan on discussing this issue this evening with a few friends and pass on our findings. Guiness…Brilliant!

Of course you should drink Guinness, just look at the sign it’s good for you AND it gives you strength!!!

Seriously, I’ll worry about the odd beer when it’s the worst thing I’m doing, until then I’ll enjoy the occasional beverage.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
I can’t see them marketing “we have less alcohol than everyone else!” anytime soon! Haha that being said I love beer, I have had a pint of over 60 different types of beer and still going strong and I must say Guinnes doesn’t rank too high up on my list. It’s by no means the worst but there are so many better dark beers out there!

Haha if anyone wants a list I would be happy to rank some of the best :)[/quote]

Unfortunitly we don’t have many “dark” beers making rounds in South-Africa. The most popular dark beers I know and enjoy is Guinness and Kill Kenny. My friend introduced me to New Castle Brown about 1 year ago, it was a very pleasant surprise when be brought me 2 litres of the tasty stuff from the UK.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

so really it is about the timing (like everything)[/quote]

exactly

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

so really it is about the timing (like everything)[/quote]

exactly

guinness is lighter no doubt but who the hell pours a 12 oz draught of guinness ? that shit comes in pints, hopefully imperial … so the question becomes: how does 20 oz @ 4.2 % compare to 12 oz @ 5% ? and the answer is : who fucking cares i’ll still take another !

[quote]Mavric wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Haha if anyone wants a list I would be happy to rank some of the best :slight_smile:

Unfortunitly we don’t have many “dark” beers making rounds in South-Africa. The most popular dark beers I know and enjoy is Guinness and Kill Kenny. My friend introduced me to New Castle Brown about 1 year ago, it was a very pleasant surprise when be brought me 2 litres of the tasty stuff from the UK.[/quote]

mmmm New castle is indeed good stuff! Hmm it’s Friday… i think I’ll go home and have a New Castle and a Blue Moon, gotta balance it out! lol

The hops in beer actually has muscle-relaxing qualities, which would aid in recovery. That is probably why it’s much harder to drink massive quantities of hoppier beer than lighter beers.

Moderation is key, however, probably more so with alcohol than with other things, because too much alcohol will more than offset the benefits of the hops.

I’ve found that if I’m feeling really run-down (not with illness, but fatigued), a pint or two with dinner for a couple of nights in a row will set me straight.

DB

[quote]stymie wrote:
guinness is lighter no doubt but who the hell pours a 12 oz draught of guinness ? that shit comes in pints, hopefully imperial … so the question becomes: how does 20 oz @ 4.2 % compare to 12 oz @ 5% ? and the answer is : who fucking cares i’ll still take another !

[/quote]

Indeed, I’ll get the next round

Annual beer festival in London, Earls Court, right now + saturday 11th aug

http://www.camra.org.uk/home.aspx?o=home

YEAH!

beer has calories and B vitamins and can be good for you if you can tolerate it and don’t go stupid. some people cannot tolerate it, or any alcohol. some drink too much.

most men would be better off swapping beer with milk. instead of 4 pints of beer and half a pint of milk, drink 4 pints of milk and half a pint of beer a day. And do breather squats every other day. if everyone did that there would be a lot of bloody strong fit men walking around. happy, too (thanks to the beer)

but again, not everyone can tolerate milk.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
most men would be better off swapping beer with milk. instead of 4 pints of beer and half a pint of milk, drink 4 pints of milk and half a pint of beer a day.[/quote]

Seconded. My current standard daily intake is four liters of milk and half a liter of strong beer (occasionally 2/3 or one liter).

Beer helps digest big meaty meals, too.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Tony Gentilcore had a good blog entry about this not too long ago. To paraphrase him, he asks “Is it the beer (or wine), or the fact that you’re relaxing while you drink it? People usually don’t pound dark beer or wine like they do Coors Light.”

I’m not sure, but you know what, I could use a pint right now and try to figure it out.[/quote]

Tony’s a great guy, but he’s wrong. I can pound guiness. Guiness seems to treat me well. I’ve set prs the morning after 12 pints. I mean squats and deads, not lateral raises, hahaha.

I have found that better beer does not give me a hangover. franzinkaner, guiness, chimay, and so on. Drinking won’t kill you, but drinking crap will.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

I’m not sure, but you know what, I could use a pint right now and try to figure it out.

Tony’s a great guy, but he’s wrong. I can pound guiness. Guiness seems to treat me well. I’ve set prs the morning after 12 pints. I mean squats and deads, not lateral raises, hahaha.

I have found that better beer does not give me a hangover. franzinkaner, guiness, chimay, and so on. Drinking won’t kill you, but drinking crap will.

[/quote]

Tom,

If you can’t get a hangover off Guinness, your just not trying!

[quote]new2training wrote:
stymie wrote:

Indeed, I’ll get the next round[/quote]

not if i finish first you won’t !

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

If I tried harder, I might be dead.

Remember, Tony doesn’t drink and a lot of what he says about drinking is true. I’ve found that good stuff doesn’t bother me the next day, unless it was the really powerful stuff running 10% or so. That’s were the amount can overrun my tolerance.

Tom,

If you can’t get a hangover off Guinness, your just not trying! [/quote]