T Nation

Anyone Fighting Baldness?

I’m fucked.

Well, not really. I’ve been handed a pretty good genetic hand. I’ve got a family history of longevity, creativity, height, physical strength and (slightly) above average intelligence. So I’ll thank Odin for that.

However, my hair is doomed. Legions upon legions of cue balls on both my mother’s AND father’s side. I’m starting to recede, but I’m not giving up without a fight. Once those anagen-phase follicles wither up and die, they don’t come back.

Has anybody had any luck with hair-loss treatments (preventative or otherwise)? I’m going to start a course of Nizoral and Minoxidil. Some of the systemic medicines sound very effective but since DHT is antagonistic to estrogen I’d like to avoid them

I’m 21 and my problem is losing hair but extremely thin hair. From far away you’d think a small black carpet is haunting my shiney scalp.

After looking at everything and discussing options with many of my doctors, I gave up.

The real kicker was an old lady at albertsons asking me if my chemo was working…

I bought a Gilette razor that night and I have been shaving my head ever since.

Its genetics for me… My mom has thinning hair and so do my sisters.

Protip: Shave it, goatee is optional

Bald guys are hot. Some girls really go for that sort of thing. (^:

I’ve tried Rogaine and some other shampoo treatment stuff I forget the name now. Rogaine seemed to help a little but after a few months I got kind of tired of using it and being dependent upon it for as long as I want to have hair.

At this point I just cut it very close and every now and then I’ll shave it all, my wife doesn’t like it when I shave it because she thinks my head looks too shiny.

I cant speak from experience, but my wife has talked big game of customers praising Nioxin (sp?) shampoo. Go get it from trade secret and the like.

Embrace it, just shave your head.

I started going bald when I was 19-20. I talked to doctors, scrubbed my scalp and sacrificed small woodland animals. In spite of my efforts, my scalp surrendered like France when I was about 22-23. I cringe when I think about the year that I had a small comb-over. Got smart and went to brush cuts. That said, I accepted the fact that I was going bald and decided that I could try and hide it (which never works) or embrace it. I have been shaving my head with a razor for about the last decade.

Tootles is on the money - chicks dig it. However, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I am 6’6" and 275 pounds. Pretty sure that I would not get the same response if I was 5’ 5" and 145 pounds. Regardless of your stature, avoid a comb-over at all costs.

I’m glad I shave my head. I am actually looking forward to when my hairline recedes because the top of my head will stay shinier.


.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I’m glad I shave my head. I am actually looking forward to when my hairline recedes because the top of my head will stay shinier.[/quote]

lol are u being serious?

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I’m glad I shave my head. I am actually looking forward to when my hairline recedes because the top of my head will stay shinier.

lol are u being serious?[/quote]

Why would I be joking? I’ve shaved my head for over a decade now. All actually going bald will do for me is allow me to go longer periods of time without shaving.

I started losing my hair in my early twenties. I am now 27 and up until a few years ago I had tried all kinds of shampoos, topical treatments, etc…Two years ago I bought the bullet and got a prescription for Propecia. It stopped the hair loss dead in its tracks. The downside is that I have to shell out $250 every three months. Luckily I stopped the hairloss before I had that weird thinning but not quite bald look. At that point I would have just shaved it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I’m glad I shave my head. I am actually looking forward to when my hairline recedes because the top of my head will stay shinier.

lol are u being serious?

Why would I be joking? I’ve shaved my head for over a decade now. All actually going bald will do for me is allow me to go longer periods of time without shaving.[/quote]

I was just telling my wife that this morning. “when the the hell am I gonna go naturally bald so I don’t have to do this infernal shaving anymore” seriously lol.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I’m glad I shave my head. I am actually looking forward to when my hairline recedes because the top of my head will stay shinier.

lol are u being serious?[/quote]

I’m in this boat. I have a full head of hair that grows fairly fast. I shave it.

If I go more than about 5 days, I have to buzz it down before I can use a blade because it comes in too thick.

I gave up trying to win the battle of hairloss, most of the stuff out on the market only works for specific types of balding, none of them work for genetic pattern balding which I have.

I started losing my hair at 22 and am now 28, it has been a slow thinning to where now nothing but peach fuzz hair grows on the top of my head. To combat this I just shave my head with the 1/4" attachment in my grooming kit shaver.

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
I cant speak from experience, but my wife has talked big game of customers praising Nioxin (sp?) shampoo. Go get it from trade secret and the like. [/quote]

Nioxin was the shampoo I was talking about. Didn’t seem to work for me.

Ever look at some pictures someone took. Say, at a party that you attended. And you say to yourself “Ha, look at that baldies head. He has the same shirt I… Oh shit!”

shaving my head was the best hair decision I ever made. As my hair started thinning out my girlfriend at the time really pushed me to shave rather than use a hair treatment. I was always paranoid about how I’d look because it would take a long time to grow my hair out again. However honestly it was a big improvement. I was 27 prior to shaving and most people picked me as being in my 30’s. Now I’m past 30 and both men and women alike keep thinking that I’m in my mid-20’s and the youngest at my office.

life is much more convenient without hair and I’m finding that I attract a lot more attention from girls now without it than I was in my last couple of years with it. Sure there are still some girls who flat out hate baldness but in my experience they are not the majority. It does depend a lot on your head shape though. I have a massive head with a big forehead so I always looked pretty dopey with hair anyway.

Have a look at Dave Tate.

Forget your head. :slight_smile: