Anyone Familiar with Turntables?

My boyfriend’s birthday is coming up and i’m looking all over the city for a decent turntable. He isn’t a deejay he just enjoys buying records and playing them at home.

Anyone familiar with what brands are the best and what I should be looking for in a good turntable?

I’m willing to spend about $600.

DJ turntables and audiophile turntables are completely different beasts, you definitely do not need or want a DJ turntable.

When I was living in the US I had a basic Thorens, it should be in about your price range and worked quite well without requiring a lot of effort in the adjustment etc. Look for a TD-158 or TD-170.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
DJ turntables and audiophile turntables are completely different beasts, you definitely do not need or want a DJ turntable.

When I was living in the US I had a basic Thorens, it should be in about your price range and worked quite well without requiring a lot of effort in the adjustment etc. Look for a TD-158 or TD-170.[/quote]

Ok so a turntable that someone would just have at home to casually play records on is an audiophile?

I was hoping to surprise him but I’m thinking I will just take him shopping and he can pick out something that he really likes.

Thanks for your help!

i have a way better idea for his birthday present

lets have sex, tape it, then send it to him.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i have a way better idea for his birthday present

lets have sex, tape it, then send it to him.[/quote]

I’ll admit it…I LOL’d.

Here is a solid list of turntables, prices, and reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-7860_7-0.html?tag=bc

An audiophile (audio lover) is basically someone who is picky about their sound…whether it be music or their home theater surround sound system.

Sweet. Thanks so much!

nothing helpful to add…

I have used Numark TT200s for DJing and listening and of course they work. Technics 1200s are the industry standard.

No matter what table you get, the sound quality will be dependent on the needle and cartridge.

Direct Drive Turntables are better than belt drive tables. Avoid the belt driven models. The ones I listed above are both direct drive.

Don’t forget you’ll also need a receiver which can accept audio input from records. This is usually labeled as PHONO.

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:

Direct Drive Turntables are better than belt drive tables. Avoid the belt driven models. The ones I listed above are both direct drive.
[/quote]

This is only true of DJ turntables, where direct coupling is required for scratching and such. Virtually ALL audiophile turntables are belt driven, due to the smoother nature of the drive.

[quote]
Don’t forget you’ll also need a receiver which can accept audio input from records. This is usually labeled as PHONO.[/quote]

Many newer turntables have internal preamplifiers or you can add an external preamp. Most new mid level and below receivers no longer include Phono preamps.