T Nation

Anyone Ever Try Autohypnosis?

Has anyone ever tried auto-hypnosis as a means to achieve lucid dreaming or other states of mind? I've dabbled with it a bit and it's interesting. The other day though I had an unnerving experience. While achieving my hypnotic state and descending into relaxation while "awaking" my subconscious mind I felt as if I were being pinned to the bed. Now, if you've never tried it, you have to will immobility into you limbs. It's a complete mental exercise. I've never had such an intense bought of paralyzation. Has anyone else ever tried auto-hypnosis?

The paralysis you are referring to is hypnagogia. It can be accompanied w/ ‘hallucinations’, or just weird states of conscious that are more than purely sensory. I experience it regularly when I am exhausted and still mentally hyped, such as studying late for an exam then taking a nap after it is over.

I’ve messed w/ the hemisync tapes and regular meditation. I’ve been meaning to get back to it but time is lacking and I’m usually too worked up to attempt to meditate anyway. I did like the hemisync tapes, but I didn’t like being dependent on the tapes to achieve the states.

Check out the book the Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche if you are interested in lucid dreaming. I used those methods with a pretty high success rate.

Also I did some self bioassays w/ silene capensis and calea zacatechichi to aid in achieving lucidity. I can’t comment on the success rate of those as I’m not sure the results were due to the herbs or the other things I was experimenting with at the time.

Its interesting stuff though.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.