T Nation

Anyone Ever Look into 'Biolever Analysis'

I recently completed a “biolever analysis”. I wondered if anyone else has looked into this, has any opinions–or perhaps might benefit.

Biolever analysis starts with a measurement of various body dimensions–lower leg, upper leg, torso, clavicle length and angle, etc, etc. Then, your measurements are “analyzed”, ratios estimated, and you get back a description of recommended ranges of motion for a variety of movements and exercises. Outside of these ranges, the strain on your joints intensifies much more than the strain on your muscles. Supposedly, everybody (everyone’s body) is different. On some movements our ratios make us relatively advantaged. On others, we’re disadvantaged.

It’s claimed you can see these ratios at work in professional athletes. The claim is that Usain Bolt (and other top sprinters) has a longer-than-average tibia (lower leg) relative to his femur (upper leg). It results in a more advantaged “piston.” Randy Johnson, and other top baseball pitchers, has a significantly longer forearm than upper arm–which creates optimum leverage for throwing (think of the physics in caveman throwing stick). …But my own simple Google search on these “facts” can’t confirm.

For more on the web about all this, all I can find is: http://www.trainyourframe.com/

Maybe I’m an over-40 lifter and have learned to listen to my body (and my body is now less forgiving to error), but for me, the results have all been intuitive. They’ve confirmed what I’ve long suspected. For example, I’ve always felt disadvantaged in certain pushing movements. The deep barbell bench press, with the bar right on my chest, has always been a sticking point for me. But I do fine with barbell partials or with a deep dumbbell bench press where I can use a neutral grip (and, therefore, change the angle between my upper arm and clavicle). Pulling movements, on the other hand, have always been a breeze for me. For my weight, I can bang-out more one-armed, inverted body-weight rows than guys half my age. …And this is what the biolever analysis told me as well.

This isn’t a plug for the method, necessarily. With the dearth of info on the web about it, I’m curious to know what others here might know. Is there something to it or is it mumbo jumbo? As for me, it’s made sense so far and I’m going to let the results guide some of my exercise choices and see what happens.