Anyone Ever Do 'Uncles'?

This is something I heard about on a blog belonging to somebody I shall refer to, somewhat coyly, as ‘Mr.Lewis’. Basically, you give yourself a set time frame- I went for 10 minutes as I’m still fairly weak but he recommends about 20- and you do as many singles of a full-body exercise- I used the clean and press, typically- in that time.

It’s some of the best fun I have ever had lifting weights. The best thing is you’re not wasting time resting between sets. You’re resting as little time as it takes for you to recover enough for another single, and you push yourself hard to get as many singles in as you possibly can.

The best part is that you can give yourself a score- weight multiplied by total reps divided by time, and I can confirm the truth of the crossfit adage that ‘men will die for points’.

Anyone else ever tried it?

How about you read chad waterbury’s writing and try what he recommends

Yeah Charles Staley has a variation of his EDT system that does this

1 Like

I do like the idea. I’m curious: how heavy of a weight did you pick?

Some similar-but-different things I’ve seen, inspired by Dan John

• the half-hour deadlift workout (315 for a double every minute for 30 minutes); at the time I did it, I was still only deadlifting about 405 so I just did singles, but I might do this sometime soon, or I might try…

• the 100 singles workout: exactly what it sounds like

2 Likes

55 kg. I believe that’s about 120 pounds. There’s a reason this was posted in ‘beginners’. What’s recommended is about 85% of your 1RM.

[quote]
Some similar-but-different things I’ve seen, inspired by Dan John

the half-hour deadlift workout (315 for a double every minute for 30 minutes); at the time I did it, I was still only deadlifting about 405 so I just did singles, but I might do this sometime soon, or I might try…

the 100 singles workout: exactly what it sounds like[/quote]
Both sound good :slight_smile:

I’ve read quite a bit of Chad Waterbury. Mr. Lewis’ version is influenced by both Waterbury and Staley. I like his interpretation of it.

Never heard of it, but like the guys said, various combos of “X reps in Y-time constraint” can be killer and they’re almost-foolproof.

EMOM sets with singles, double, or triples are another great way to get solid work done in a short amount of time.

That may actually be a better idea. Then I can forget about upping the reps and concentrate on piling on the weight.

Nice to hear from you again BTW.

Never heard that term. But that concept is similiar to EDT, Tabatha or 8x8 by Vince Gironda. As long as you can make it progressively hard you should see some type of result.

Yea he has a lot of good workout routines on this site.